It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 'Monsanto Protection Act' Gives Monsanto Power Over US Government

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

New 'Monsanto Protection Act' Gives Monsanto Power Over US Government

www.infowars.com

There truly is no rest for the wicked, and Monsanto is at war once again against health conscious consumers with the latest ‘Monsanto Protection Act‘, managing to sneak wording into the latest Senate legislation that would give them blanket immunity from any USDA action regarding the potential dangers of their genetically modified creations while under review. The USDA would be unable to act against any and all new GMO crops that were suspected to be wreaking havoc on either human health or the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This didn't go through yet

But god help us all if this is true and if it does go through.

I did a search of monsanto protection act and found nothing.

How much is too much?
I know we've already passed or even perhaps bypassed "too much".
But too much for the large majority of people, how much is too much for that very large group?

If approved, the Monsanto Protection Act would force the USDA to allow continued planting of any GMO crop under court review, essentially giving backdoor approval for any new genetically engineered crops that could be potentially harmful to human health or the environment.

This is INSANE!
No labelling and then this?
How much of a horrific combination can occur?
Isn't this the worst it can possibly get symptoms aside?

www.infowars.com

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I dont get HOW they LOST to Labelling?

Which Californians went out and voted NO? I really dont know who these people are.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Which Californians went out and voted NO? I really dont know who these people are.

I agree
I'm POSITIVE that no labelling was step 1 and this act was always step 2.
Now what's step 3?

This are not isolated milestones, this has to be part of a very large plan!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
btw
I'm not at all fond of infowars bolding text in news articles.
Even if I agree of it's importance, they shouldn't bold text.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Exactly. I don't believe for one second that California, the most liberal land in the US, would vote no on Prop 37. Monsanto and other GMO companies used fraud and deception in their campaign, then accused their opponents of doing exactly what Monsanto was doing.

California has vegetarian and vegan restaurants all over the place, it is truly a unique state. That's why this bill not passing doesn't pass the smell test.

Also, here is the link to the original source from the OP:

naturalsociety.com...

I would be curious to know how many people on the regulatory boards like the FDA hold stocks in companies like Monsanto. That would be a direct conflict of interest. I know they already have ex-employees on the FDA board. These people have no business regulating companies products from which they profit from.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm just w8tn4--The next big meteorite to smash into Monsanto HQ while they're deciding the next big chemical dump on the public. Let's see them backpeddle out of that!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The section is well worth opposing, but it isn't really breaking news -

Blog from 2012
Environmental news article July 2012
Food democracy's take on it from June 2012

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Lunacy I tell you!

Only reason this went through is because Monsanto has deep pockets. Plain and simple.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Give companies power to bias legislating officials and voters?

Classy move people, classy move.

I also have some difficulty understanding how this thing could ever get through, based on a free and fair vote. Mind you, theres not nearly as much scrutiny of these things in developed nations as the UN and others put in, when faced with third world nations in their electoral processes.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

This didn't go through yet

But god help us all if this is true and if it does go through.

I did a search of monsanto protection act and found nothing.

How much is too much?
I know we've already passed or even perhaps bypassed "too much".
But too much for the large majority of people, how much is too much for that very large group?

If approved, the Monsanto Protection Act would force the USDA to allow continued planting of any GMO crop under court review, essentially giving backdoor approval for any new genetically engineered crops that could be potentially harmful to human health or the environment.

This is INSANE!
No labelling and then this?
How much of a horrific combination can occur?
Isn't this the worst it can possibly get symptoms aside?

www.infowars.com

I suppose they were wrong when they said money can't buy everything... It buys pills that make you happy, give you back a sex life, cures diseases, money buys pretty much everything there is in today's world. Including immunity.

It's disgusting to see corporations like this get away with travesties against nature, but I can't help but wonder how many other companies world wide have basically done the exact same thing with out so much interest from public eyes.

You would think more people would be aware of the developments of the Monsanto Corporation. You would think there would be more public outcry when a company that feeds our children, husbands, wives, brothers and sisters basically says" Open your mouth and close your eyes, and you will get a big surprise." When is the last time any of you actually fell for this childhood fake out? I would have to say I was still in grade school, mistrusting an older sibling or classmate usually to be given a worm, or something spicy.

Why do mature, "educated" adults allow this kind of BS to go on in our nations? What happened to our voice, our choice and the system that is supposed to prevent EXACTLY what Monsanto is trying to do.

When the FDA was founded, nothing that is slated for human consumption is supposed to be able to side step regulations and safe practices. No company can promote sell a product with out listing it's ingredients, where it came from etc. Why is Monsanto above this? How did this act even get to a court, it should have been smacked down at it's birth, and the perpetrators charged with criminal conspiracy.

I've bounced in and out of Anger with monsanto and hope that Natural products would inevitably prevail, either by modified crops producing terrible product, or causing problems, or the public outcry finally reaching the level it should.

I can't even believe this is getting by. I understand the premise behind engineered crops, I suppose in some areas they could work, but for the most part they aren't what they are made out to be, nor are many of them much better than natural crops. There isn't enough data to slap a SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION act on every product they have produced either.

I'm 100% against this act, I can not support any act giving any company, or organization immunity to regulation.

One seriously peeved Hijinx right here.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
There are literally hundreds of senators and reps whom own a lot of monsanto stock, this is common knowledge. There are few stocks that are 'bulletproof', this is the top. Now with all of the distractions,i.e., economy, pope, war and rumors, cyber threats, etc. etc. we are told to pay attention over here, while the other hand...... Our leaders and elected traitors are selling us out at every turn, It is time to flush the toilet in Washington and get the turds some new addresses. This will never happen until the people of this nation remove these parasites.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

It absoulutely is breaking news!

Please, dont be fooled by misinformation!

Monsanto’s lobbyists have managed to slip the Monsanto Protection Act, also known as the Monsanto Rider (Sec. 735), into the Senate Continuing Resolution spending bill.

Contact your political representives now!

The so-called “Monsanto Rider” would require the Secretary of Agriculture to grant a temporary permit for planting or cultivating a genetically engineered crop, even if a federal court has ordered the planting be halted until an Environmental Impact Statement is completed. That’s right, even the federal courts won’t be able to stop Monsanto from planting unproven, potentially dangerous crops if this bill passes today.

Organic Consumers

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Wow...just wow.. Thank you OP for sharing this.

What will it take for the "sheep" to wake? It boggles my mind to think of all the information accessible to most north amaricans and yet we let things like this go by with only a few caring about it. The control the mass media has on these people is staggering.
-Peace & Love.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

It absoulutely is breaking news!

Please, dont be fooled by misinformation!

Monsanto’s lobbyists have managed to slip the Monsanto Protection Act, also known as the Monsanto Rider (Sec. 735), into the Senate Continuing Resolution spending bill.

Contact your political representives now!

The so-called “Monsanto Rider” would require the Secretary of Agriculture to grant a temporary permit for planting or cultivating a genetically engineered crop, even if a federal court has ordered the planting be halted until an Environmental Impact Statement is completed. That’s right, even the federal courts won’t be able to stop Monsanto from planting unproven, potentially dangerous crops if this bill passes today.

Organic Consumers

I hate paper clips... Devils invention if there ever was one.

The thing I don't get is, isn't it the job of congressmen to read, and understand the documents they are voting on? Or even the documents that are proposed for voting? If not theirs, isn't it the job of the office, and individuals before them to do as such?

If I allowed a bill for parts or labor to be tagged onto a cheaper Sales order and processed it as such, I would be reprimanded or lose my job. Either for gross losses on my shift, or insubordination for not following proper SOP.

How do Congressmen, and other government officials get away passing a paper clip. The moment an employee no longer stands up to their duties, they are no longer fit for duty are they not?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

How do Congressmen, and other government officials get away passing a paper clip. The moment an employee no longer stands up to their duties, they are no longer fit for duty are they not?

Yes, though here we have a finely tuned well oiled pass through.

It must be a paper clip holding the revolving door open, between the USDA, the FDA
and Monsanto. It is also known as corruption.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The History of the Monsanto corp. has been nothing the poisoning of the people from day one.
They have been getting away with murder since 1901.

I cant' believe this protection act even exists !
I am so flabbergasted and outraged I think I will go outside and scream just to calm down !!!

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Sadly, often they do not read and just sign the damn thing with zero-hour riders that have been tacked on while the ink still dries.

I seem to recall a US Senator recently stating; "I don't read everything I sign". As if it were simply a matter of being pressed for time. Which is why, presumably, each one of them has a small army of bureaucrats under the wing...

"Special Interest" pretty much means it's okay to bribe the officials thus overstepping the law.

(As noted by burntheships, honest folk refer to this as corruption.)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I am so tired of things like this, it is simply put irresponsible to do this,
that food may very well be dangerous from everything we have seen
so far, and yet none of the people who protect us will stand up to
this type of thing and simply say, erm sorry but no, you might just
kill half the population if we don't ensure proper scrutiny is paid
to the safety of your product, you know the one you want my
constituents to eat and feed their children.

The fact that you don't see the reaction above is a bad bad sign.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

I agree
I'm POSITIVE that no labelling was step 1 and this act was always step 2.
Now what's step 3?

This are not isolated milestones, this has to be part of a very large plan!

Step 3 is to ban all non-GMO (including your own backyard garden), with hefty fines/jail time for anyone found consuming natural products.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join