It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Senate Committee Approves Gun Ban

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

a few that can think of are japan , malaysia , singapore ....

Singapore....

That's the country where they cane you for chewing gum. Sounds like a really nice place.
edit on 14-3-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Wait, Al Franken really is a senator? I thought that was just a skit.

(And I think I will just turn around and go right back to believing it, so I can stop shivering.)

Pfft. It's all such a scam.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Cuervo

Well now you're assuming it even gets to Obama. It's got a LONG way to go. It still needs to pass the Senate itself. Then it has to go to the Republican House and they have to either pass it as it sits (Snowballs in Hell have better odds) or change it their way and send it back (more likely). Then the process starts in reverse for the Senate. Pass it whole or not?

Only if both Democratic Senate and Republican House agree...entirely agree...will it ever get to Obama. In past years, that COULD happen. It frequently did before Baby Bush and the true fanatic partisanship. Now? I'd say about zero chance.

If the House DID somehow pass anything....they'd throw a poison pill into it for something they want (Like a head on a pike for Benghazi) that Obama would never sign. It's how they play the game.

edit on 14-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

I would love to believe that chances of this passing are really that slim. However, I've just recently got this sinking feeling like they're going to pull a big fast one on us. Something along the lines of "In a surprise show of partisan cooperation today, House Republicans unanimously supported..."

I really do have a feeling that a HUGE betrayal is in the offing.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It's not going to bass either house so......

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

So I can't assault someone with a Derringer?
My point, is that there are no such things as 'assault weapons'. It's language that has been created and used to elicit an emotional response to achieve a goal of those using that term, period.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by heyitsok

I would love to believe that chances of this passing are really that slim. However, I've just recently got this sinking feeling like they're going to pull a big fast one on us. Something along the lines of "In a surprise show of partisan cooperation today, House Republicans unanimously supported..."

I really do have a feeling that a HUGE betrayal is in the offing.

I could see it passing the Senate. Especially if they thought it was a zero bill for getting out of the House anyway and they could pass it without fear it would return for final passage to Obama.

I can never see it passing the House. The House runs on 2 year terms. Half the place is up for re-election every two years. 2014 is not that far away for something that has so powerfully polarized the nation like this and those votes are all needed in the House to pass it. They'd be suicide votes, to a person. Political career suicide.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Would be nice to see them vote,then we could actually get to see who believes in what. Of course, you get the token votes for re-election time.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Expat888

a few that can think of are japan , malaysia , singapore ....

Singapore....

That's the country where they cane you for chewing gum. Sounds like a really nice place.
edit on 14-3-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Well, in the world of myths, that's right.
But no. chewing gum is a fine, not a caning. That myth came when they caned a kid for spray paint vandalism...during that time, they were discussing other things banned in Singapore that is a bit odd..chewing gum, not flushing public toilets, etc...none being a caning offense.

But each ban is actually pretty wise (however chewing gum should be limited to private residence only..however, I can see how it would be nearly unenforceable without a complete ban)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I can never see it passing the House. The House runs on 2 year terms. Half the place is up for re-election every two years. 2014 is not that far away for something that has so powerfully polarized the nation like this and those votes are all needed in the House to pass it. They'd be suicide votes, to a person. Political career suicide.

Well, if this was 10 years ago, sure. but polls today show a disfavorable majority to the NRA, and a majority of people want some gun regs...so it depends on the constituents the politicians are representing as to what vote would be political suicide

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
yes, now lets have a vote.

see who is on the side of the constitution.

lets see who the tyrants are...

hopefully it passes in the senate, so we can have a vote in the house too.

see who wants to take our rights away.

our god given rights...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjax9er
yes, now lets have a vote.

see who is on the side of the constitution.

lets see who the tyrants are...

hopefully it passes in the senate, so we can have a vote in the house too.

see who wants to take our rights away.

our god given rights...

Fortunately this doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of passing. The fact that it barely made it out of the committee I think says it all really. They all know that it's political suicide among many other reasons for not passing it, but there are a few that are willing to be political "martyrs" for their cause.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Posted on the 17th of December 2010

In approximate 2 years from today there will be mass school shooting in Connecticut. A lone gunman will kill many children. That's a trick of propaganda. Step by step, they make it a totalitarian country. They have a false flag attack on December 2012 to justify their war on 2nd Amendment. The responsible gunowner is wronged as terrorist. The real mastermind of the shootings grins at the soap opera they directed. They treat you like fools. Do not have a logic confuse.

Link

Here's an interesting post from 2010. Was it done from some one with inside knowledge?

If so the Gun Ban is a done deal - Naturally there must be bickering between the parties to give the illusion of a two party system.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I pretty much agree. I think it has a slim chance of passing the Senate and definantly not the House, and some of the Democrats remember what happened to them with the 1994 ban. I dont think some of the Dems, like Harry Reid, will vote for this bill.

It's political suicide to vote yes on a bill like this one. (Unless if you're feinstein and come from a massive liberal haven). Just the threat of anti gun legislation could be a career ender for some. Im guessing the pro-gun movement will be out in force come midterms, and the Republicans will see a victory during those elections.

ETA - Another example of a Democrat that remembers 1994.

www.foxnews.com...

U.S. Sen. Max Baucus has been here before.

Back during the Clinton era, the Democrat faced a choice: support an assault weapons ban urged by a president from his own party and risk angering constituents who cherish their gun rights, or buck his party. He chose the ban, and nearly lost his Senate seat.

Now, as he begins his campaign for a seventh term, Baucus faces the question again. For weeks, gun foes have sought assurances he would oppose the assault weapons ban. But it was only this past week he said he would oppose it

Other Democratic senators that Republicans are watching closely include Mark Begich of Alaska, Kay Hagan of North Carolina, Tim Johnson of South Dakota, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana and Mark Pryor of Arkansas.

Pryor already has said he won't support an assault weapons ban, and the measure is unlikely to clear the Senate. Gun activists still worry that other restrictions they oppose are in the works.

edit on 14-3-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Just for the record for anyone that didn't know. AR doesn't stand for "assault rifle". I actually
Stands for Armalite rifle. They were also never issued in the US military.
Just 2 copper circles.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by Xcathdra

What chapter?

en.wikipedia.org...

42 USC 1983 - It was put in place during the 60's with the civil rights movement. It covers what happens when people acting under the color of law violate a persons civil rights.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoogieMan911
Posted on the 17th of December 2010

In approximate 2 years from today there will be mass school shooting in Connecticut. A lone gunman will kill many children. That's a trick of propaganda. Step by step, they make it a totalitarian country. They have a false flag attack on December 2012 to justify their war on 2nd Amendment. The responsible gunowner is wronged as terrorist. The real mastermind of the shootings grins at the soap opera they directed. They treat you like fools. Do not have a logic confuse.

Link

Here's an interesting post from 2010. Was it done from some one with inside knowledge?

If so the Gun Ban is a done deal - Naturally there must be bickering between the parties to give the illusion of a two party system.

Is this for real?
WTF?
Scary stuff.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

If congress passes it....start counting the days until all hell breaks loose and the government has a REAL BIG problem on their hands. They better invest in pope mobiles and body armor.

I am just saying....it is not worth it. This WILL NOT be the end of it.

They are really blind if they think it will be. Not even a little nudge in the right direction. In 20 years people will have spent 20 years resenting the government wanting to pick a fight with it...not the other way around.....
edit on 15-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

You have them guns lock'n loaded just in case.. I am getting the feeling this is going to pass against the odds and whether Americas like it or not.. If there was a time to not trust the government, its now.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I never understood why an AR15 is the poster gun for assault rifles.

It is basically an upgraded .22.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
I never understood why an AR15 is the poster gun for assault rifles.

It is basically an upgraded .22.

Okay, in much the same way a car is basically an upgraded pair of roller skates.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join