It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Senate Committee Approves Gun Ban

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Why is the Senate Judiciary Committee taking this up anyway? Oh, because Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein wrote up this garbage and is on this committee.

I found the list of the Dems on the list who voted for it down party lines.

Patrick Leahy, Vermont, Chairman
Dianne Feinstein, California
Chuck Schumer, New York
Dick Durbin, Illinois
Sheldon Whitehouse, Rhode Island
Amy Klobuchar, Minnesota
Al Franken, Minnesota
Chris Coons, Delaware
Richard Blumenthal, Connecticut
Mazie Hirono, Hawaii
It probably doesn't matter since many people keep voting down party lines without checking voting records.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
you can still buy 2,200 types of firearms, so if the bad guys are coming, you should be able to find a nice weapon

who benefits from all the fear ?

the senate or the gun lobby ?

hmmmm.......

Are you suggesting the Democrats and the gun lobby are working hand in hand?

Why not? When we thought that Hillary had a decent chance at the White House, ammo sales skyrocketed. Of course the gun manufacturers benefit from gun legislation.

The gun lobby pays politicians. The liberals act tough on gun laws and the conservatives act paranoid in response. The result is tons of money being made every few years.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

All people who have no clue about how government works...

Schumer especially, when he lectured the media on the 3 branches of government - being the President, the House and the Senate.

If you dont know the basic format of the government, then maybe you should not be allowed to vote for things that affect all people.

Just my 2 cents worth.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
Why not? When we thought that Hillary had a decent chance at the White House, ammo sales skyrocketed. Of course the gun manufacturers benefit from gun legislation.

The gun lobby pays politicians. The liberals act tough on gun laws and the conservatives act paranoid in response. The result is tons of money being made every few years.

A prime example of why people need to do more than just bitch about the government and what they are trying to do. People must get involved and hold their government accountible.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Well now you're assuming it even gets to Obama. It's got a LONG way to go. It still needs to pass the Senate itself. Then it has to go to the Republican House and they have to either pass it as it sits (Snowballs in Hell have better odds) or change it their way and send it back (more likely). Then the process starts in reverse for the Senate. Pass it whole or not?

Only if both Democratic Senate and Republican House agree...entirely agree...will it ever get to Obama. In past years, that COULD happen. It frequently did before Baby Bush and the true fanatic partisanship. Now? I'd say about zero chance.

If the House DID somehow pass anything....they'd throw a poison pill into it for something they want (Like a head on a pike for Benghazi) that Obama would never sign. It's how they play the game.

edit on 14-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

you can still buy 2,200 types of firearms, so if the bad guys are coming, you should be able to find a nice weapon

who benefits from all the fear ?

the senate or the gun lobby ?

hmmmm.......

Are you suggesting the Democrats and the gun lobby are working hand in hand?

sorry for the confusion. I'm an independent and am no fan of either party. my fear comment was more about the internet and news media, the "instant outrage" culture

after all the mass shootings, politicians had to "do something". they are "doing something". in the end, it won't change anything because human are just violent, plain and simple

so my 2 cents is just that there are more forces at play here than just politicians, and I don't see any eloborate conspiracy to take all the guns away. I see a gun lobby fanning the flames of fear, and selling ammo and gaining leverage at the same time

hope that ramble makes a litt more sense, lol

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
reply to post by grey580

great question!

you can die a million different ways... You can choose to live a good life, clean and healthy and still be shot by a drug addict with an illegal weapon for the 17 bucks in your wallet.

should we ban unhealthy things?

should we ban guns?

should we ban the liberty to decide?

dead is not dead.

When i die i want it to be a consequence of my own choices, or my body's imperfections.
edit on 14-3-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

And again you focus on guns.

What about drunk drivers? What about a driver who is texting while driving?
More people are killed by hammers or other blunt objects and fists.
do we ban that?

Oh and I'd like to point something out. Murder is illegal in this country..... yet it still happens.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I always find it humerous when people talk about Bush and Obama and partisanship...

If HealthCare, Gun control, immigration, tax reform were important to Democrats, then why didnt they get it done when they controlled the House, Senate and Presidency?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Ban is not the issue CONTROL is.

Im more scared of a junky with a bottle than a farmer with a gun.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

hope that ramble makes a litt more sense, lol

It does now lol...

Thanks for the clarification..

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
BTW top 20 causes of death in the usa.

www.worldlifeexpectancy.com...

Road traffic accidents is in the top 10.

Violent crimes 19.

According to the latest WHO data published in April 2011 Violence Deaths in United States reached 19,169 or 0.92% of total deaths. The age adjusted Death Rate is 6.47 per 100,000 of population ranks United States #92 in the world. Review other causes of death by clicking the links below or choose the full health profile.

I wonder how many of those are gun related.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by bdb818888
Is there any country in the world that has benefited from a gun ban in a positive way
a few that can think of are japan , malaysia , singapore ....

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

We should have a brand new law that states that our legislators should be FORCED to sit down
and read our Constitution and Bill of Rights ALOUD everyday....

Then they have to all raise their right hand, recite their oath of office to uphold the constitution

AND THEN when they're done with the important stuff... they can have milk and cookies and make
some new laws

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
March 18th is the real date to look for.

UN votes on small arms treaty.

AKA global gun ban

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

Or just stick the ones trying to infringe our rights in jail.

18 USC § 242 - Deprivation of rights under color of law

Whoever, under color of any law, statute, ordinance, regulation, or custom, willfully subjects any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured or protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or to different punishments, pains, or penalties, on account of such person being an alien, or by reason of his color, or race, than are prescribed for the punishment of citizens, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if bodily injury results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Ban is not the issue CONTROL is.

Im more scared of a junky with a bottle than a farmer with a gun.

The junky with a bottle occurred because the person chose a life of drinking and substance abuse...
The farmer with a gun occurred because the person chose to farm and own a fire arm.

Personal accountability, not government. The Government should never be in the position of deciding individuals actions based on what if.

535 mebers of the House and Senate - 300 million citizens... all it takes is for people to get involved and vote.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

The other one you want is 42 USC.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I always find it humerous when people talk about Bush and Obama and partisanship...

If HealthCare, Gun control, immigration, tax reform were important to Democrats, then why didnt they get it done when they controlled the House, Senate and Presidency?

I tend to agree. It's not the outcome or success they want at this point. It's the fight and chaos where they can muddy things and point fingers of blame to look back at for the 2014 and 2016 elections. Absolutely everything now is about the next election, starting weeks after the last one. It's totally out of control for that.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Ban alcohol if saving lives is what the goal is.

But we know that isn't what this is all about.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

What chapter?

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join