It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Loss - the keystone to the collapse of society

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Long term if you want to keep power going you need to understand how to generate it and here lies the problem in that most people don't know how one works so for a few years that solar generator has kept you going but the inverter has dies and no ones knows one end of a wire from another since all the survival training was how to grab as much weaponry and ammunition before anyone else and stuff the rest

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

I have untold gig worth of digital format technical/engineering how to's for that very reason. As long as I have a way to charge my small digitals. They are a crucial portion of my plan, and thusly have dedicated pelican cases for each of them, along with a nomad panel.

I still have hard copy of alot of stuff (particularly the Petersen's guides) but digital media is just so friggin compact it wasn't a hard decision to make plans to include them.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

It might not be as big an issue with your layout and size of your property. But, security for the generator while its running is also an issue worth considering.

Interesting point. Luckily, they'd have to come through an 8' high fence, down a 150' drive, then through a 4' fence, then another 4' fence to get to it (from the road)....and coming at it any other way, means hauling it by hand for at least 200' (and going through 2 fences). As soon as they pulled in, the dogs would bark their heads off.

I plan to basically put down a concrete slab for the area it's going (with the plan to eventually have two there), and in that, I'll have a ring set in the cement for each, and run a padlocked chain through it and the generator (I still want them portable). It's also in the dog fenced area, so in any SHTF scenario or power outage, the dogs will be out there too.

I do plan to build a ventilated (and able to be opened and locked) enclosure to try and muffle the sound somewhat (for two, planned generators), but I'm still researching the best design for that. I'll be getting the first generator around June (start of hurricane season), as I can find some deals around that time. Getting a diesel one, so I can use gas from the truck in a pinch. (also, they last longer). The second one, I'll get either at the end of the season, or during it, if I can find a good enough deal, and have the cash.

so for a few years that solar generator has kept you going but the inverter has dies and no ones knows one end of a wire from another

Having spare parts, and repair equipment is kind of business as usual on a farm or ranch, so this would be no exception. For example, I always have spare wood, fencing, posts, etc., and I'm working on slowly building up spare parts for the vehicles when I can get the time to do so (pulling good parts from junked). I'm on a budget, but I know I have to do it piece by piece.
edit on 15-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

The higher your fence is, the more difference it will make to intruders that the top line is electrified. It is one thing for a perp to short out a waist high wire using a spare t-post (but 90% won't understand electricity well enough to grok that possibility). It is another thing to climb up a hurricane fence an get a jolt every other second when you are trying to keep your toes in the holes.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
When the power goes out, chaos reigns because everyone has to re-prioritize.

Everyone wants to be home with family as soon as possible. Then, they get hungry and decide to cook everything that is going bad in the fridge. But the stove won't work. So everyone in the dark zone ransacks the garage or attic looking for the camp stove or barbeque. When they discover they have no power, they head for the store.

En route, they realize that the car only has 1/32 of a tank of gas, so they head off to the gas station. When they see it's closed, they cruise the next one, in a steadily mounting traffic jam. At some point, they begin to wonder whether granny has enough heart blood pressure pills to make it to the weekend. Some will go to the pharmacy, where the diabetics and asthmatics will be frantic and ready to kill for their life-giving meds.

On the way to the house, they will stop at the grocery. Once all the ramen noodles and cans of soup are gone, they will grab anything left. The manager will be trying to close, because the cash registers are dark and silent. Then some people will realize that everything is now ...Free...

Even if you don't make a single prep, just thinking about this flow of the group mind will help you stay ahead of it.

Maybe you can grab the last of the pop-tarts, before the riot starts in the parking lot.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

True, but nothing is full-proof. In another thread, someone pointed out a glaring hole in defenses that I hadn't previously considered (indeed, such a thing was EXACTLY why I posted the thread)...

Someone could just drive a heavy vehicle through fencing.

So, my counter to this will be sinking in some posts (standing 3' above ground) with enough space to where any vehicle would encounter an existing post, or new post if trying to drive through the fence, which should stop most vehicles (though still ruin a part of the fence).

reply to post by tovenar

That's pretty much what I'm talking about...it won't take too long for things to go crazy. Unlike other SHTF events, a massive power outage could come on instantly. So, zero time to prep then. I mean, I try to always keep more gas in the vehicles, but life is what it is, and that isn't always possible. That would make it a nightmare for me to get home from work, at least until getting to the highway..and even then, who knows?
edit on 18-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yeah, I always thought a terrorist attack on the national grid would be devastating for that reason. I just wonder if such a thing is possible? For example, here in the UK, an attack could take out one power station, but I would assume the others would compensate pretty easily, so I can't really see such a thing happening.

As well as electricity, I think lack of food and drink would be the main trigger to a breakdown in society. As some wise chap said, we are only 3 meals away from revolution. (or something like that!) But on a ranch, I don't imagine that would be a problem for you. Here in the inner city I wish I was so lucky!

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Millions

Still the same problem...I have to have food and water stockpiled. It's a horse ranch, not a farm or livestock. I will be adding chickens, and if I have warning of an event, I can add some female bunnies, but my food and water options are similar to the city folks, except I have a well. Even then though, well pumps use power.

Add to that, the amount of water a horse drinks, and of course getting hay and feed stocked up for them. Chances are, in a SHTF event, they'll get a bit skinny. They can graze, but they'll lose weight just doing that. We do try and keep a good stock of it though, but even then, usually only about a month's supply per horse. We just can't store much more than that.

We will be adding a garden though, so that will help with options, but I'm sure some of that will be trial and error...

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
thread saved for later

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well,.
If the power is gonna go out,. let it be soon,.
I am acutally ready for such an event, Kinda sick of the MSM garbage and political
retoric,. Buy this Buy that,.. sell sell sell,. stock market bla bla bla,. Im just sick of all
the modern life.. back to basics,.. and the food crisis, money crisis just might go away
as long as the "outage" is long enough and global for 6 months

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I have both a generator and a 1.5 KW portable solar generator. Only plan to run generator when absolutely needed. The solar generator will power my fridge which is super energy efficient. I've converted all the houses lighting to LED and have it ready to switch over to solar and battery when power goes out. I have blackout curtains ready for light control so my place wont stick out.

Have several methods of water purification to use with the lake out back as well as rain barrels - water is not an issue. The lake provides a natural barrier to easy intrusion as well.

Longterm food is at two years now and should give time to plant raised gardens with stocked seed.

All the rest of the stuff for day/night defence is in order.

Just bought "A Failure of Civility" so I can begin getting those neighbors on board - with them theres good chance of weathering a long term outage in relative safety.

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

A couple of years ago I was in downtown San Diego when the lineman through the wrong switch (whatever) and turned the power off to the whole Southwest. If you have never seen Mexico go dark it is freaky, and yes the border towns get all there power off our grid. I had to make it back to Imperial Beach where I was staying with a friend (doing contract work) and it was amazing to watch what people were doing. For the most part they were just standing, they had no clue what to do. Lots just standing in the middle of the road trying to use their cell phones (which IMMEDIATLY overloaded the system and it went down).
My friend and I, who were working the project, both determined that within seventy two hours total anarchy would prevail just from the fact services would cease to exist. City people with NO McDonalds and Starbucks!? Regardless, I were very glad when the power was back on because I was 2500 miles from home with nothing but a Truck (10 mpg) ,a bug out bag, a shotgun and a Ruger LCR.....didnt like that much LOL.
Without power you cant even do inventory and shipping docs to get food to a store.....and if they do get to the store then what? No one can even count back change anymore.....72 hours max.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

Awesome preps!
Still working on all of that, but eventually... Good to see someone ready.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join