It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctor Who: The "childrens show" that should never be watched by children!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I live in france now so we are getting re-runs which are a little bit later compared to the UK.

Last weekend was the episode with the angel statues... followed by the "Master" being elected... well wicked!

Just for extra info, what i also enjoy are the twists that take place with the people from the Torchwood team from time to time.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 14-3-2013 by Rodinus because: MEGA crap spelling mistake

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

None the less I think we can all agree it's a great show......for ages 13 and up.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Certainly not a kids show, although for me I have yet to be creeped out by any of it. I laugh through most of them because they are so stupid! I however would not let my 7 year old watch it, maybe my 15 year old so we could make fun of it together, but not my younger sons.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
When Dr Who started it showed people the power of the mind in that all the guns/nuclear weapons etc that you could throw at a problem were useless compared to the mind of just one person who could think their way around a problem, watching it in the 1970's as a kid it was probably more scarier as we had no reference point as such for 'bogey men' like we do have today and the shows were not dumbed down to kids level with programs like Blakes 7 as well on a Saturday tea time slot all aimed at providing a family with entertainment and a bit of moral and mental challenges (what kid didn't want to be able to design a K-9 or work out how to build a TARDIS) so kids would argue in playgrounds about how technology worked and learn from the discussions

and as they say "the don't make em like they used too"

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
What I love about Doctor Who is the sense of realism that is present, it teaches everybody, from cradle to grave.

My son was 2 years old when the 9th Doctor burst onto our screens, he has watched every single episode, my daughter began her Doctor Who viewing career when she was 3 months old (first time it aired after her birth).

Eight years and six years on respectively and I have two wonderful children, who are better prepared for lifes ups nd downs, there are kids in my daughters class who aren't allowed to watch it, as it is deemed too scary and they will have nightmares, you will not be surprised to learn, they are also the ones who's children strugged to adjust to starting school, and cried at the school gates for mummy.

Both of my children had no problem, in fact one of the mums commented on how is it your kids quite happily go to school, where mine cry....Perhaps its because I keep it real?!

Doctor Who isnt the only program out there to scare the kids, there is a series called Sparticle Mysteries, where all the adults (anyone over 15) are separated from the kids in a paralell world, due to some collider experiment.

Programs like these, teach children abstract concepts, and allows them to develop a think out of the box mentality.

Personally when is comes to old school Who, I found this guy a little scary!

edit on 14-3-2013 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2013 by solargeddon because: Add image

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Forgot to mention folks...

I remember back in the 70s seeing those real Tardis police telephone boxes... anyone else remember those?

*sighs*

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You know, I think you all should scare your kids more. I really do.

And while you are at it, get rid of those wimpy airsoft guns and buy them some real bb guns.

And stop thinking your kids are the specialest/most vulnerable.

Your kids need to get hurt more, scared more, catch more colds, get dirtier, do more dangerous things, and read more advanced books.

Because seriously, these fluffy, dependent little brats you are raising... they are what scare me. Can they survive outside of padded sterile protection pods?

Scar them. Scar them good. If you love them.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsok
You know, I think you all should scare your kids more. I really do.

And while you are at it, get rid of those wimpy airsoft guns and buy them some real bb guns.

And stop thinking your kids are the specialest/most vulnerable.

Your kids need to get hurt more, scared more, catch more colds, get dirtier, do more dangerous things, and read more advanced books.

Because seriously, these fluffy, dependent little brats you are raising... they are what scare me. Can they survive outside of padded sterile protection pods?

Scar them. Scar them good. If you love them.

I have four boys.. no whimpy, entitled, dependent brats here thank you!! The oldest is the sort who hopes for the draft so he can leave school and join the military. At 15 he hunts and has a real gun. My 11 year old is smarter than some adults, my 14 year old is on a mission to become a heart surgeon and my 7 year old is more dependent than most adults. It is not necessary to scar them in order for them to become independent responsible men! We teach personal responsibility, critical thought, independence and education. We teach them they only deserve what they are willing to work for and while I love them with all my heart individually and think they are a gift from god (to me of course because damn it.. I'm just that good).. that being a great man is something they earn through hard work on their own for themselves alone because the world owes them nothing!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
reply to post by grey580

Who said Dr. Who was a kids' show?
Well, historically it was.
I speak as a kid who watched the very first episode (showing my age).
It just evolved over the decades into something that would entertain adults as well, and the newer version has shot off in different directions.
But even in the early days, being frightened was part of the appeal (as with roller-coasters).
The standard joke was that children were watching it "standing behind the sofa", ie ready to duck down out of sight.
Behind the settee, if they were northerners.
Americans, er.. "behind the couch", I think

Ah, I so remember peering from behind the sofa watching Doctor Who feeling exhilarated and scared at the same time as looking through my fingers LOL.

I think some of my first nightmares where Doctor Who inspired monsters.. as some else mentioned there was no real point of reference for the monsters back then, outside other Childrens stories that is, the best of which seem to generally contain violence.. the Wolf eating Grandma, or Some Giant grinding up the bones of Englishmen..

It seems to me the label childrens story is a cover for parents and adults to slip back into being kids again, at least that is how I feel while watching Doctor Who..

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I started watching the earlier Doctor Who as a child when Tom Baker took over in the 80's. I was around six and eventually in my teens I had my mother knit me a replica of his scarf. I even ruined the shower curtain because I used to do these dares where I would say "If I don't do 'X' I am not a time lord". That time it was hanging from the shower curtain.

Seriously...what a nerd I was!

The older shows had some violence but it was mild and campy compared to what goes on in the new episodes. I think it's fine for teens but I definitely feel that children who watch the new show at an age closer to when I started might be in for a nightmare or two. It can get right 'dark' and very frightful.

My mother still watches the show but I rarely do.

She was such a good sport though about the whole 'Time Lord' obsession (and supported my desire to be a comic book artist by inundating me with comics) that I did this drawing for her a few years ago.

She wasn't particularly impressed with it. Whatever. I guess I could have done better.

I'm still a diehard Doctor Who fan, but more of the old-school sort.
The new stuff is largely hit and miss for me. Definitely a whole lot darker, though.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Ive never heard anyone specify that Dr. Who was a "childrens" show.
That being said,its AWESOME!

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

wow, i'm missing out on some good stuff. i thought dr. who was a crime solving science guy who travels through dimensions using a telephone booth.

going to have to give it a look.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I Love Doctor Who!

However, I must agree that many of the shows are NOT child friendly. My kids actually do watch some of the episodes that I have to pre-approve. BUT, one night I caught my daughter up REALLY late watching Netflix.....Dr. Who.

It appeals to young tween and teens, why, because it is an adventure, and many kids DO understand the difference between imaginary and real. When I was young I loved Lost in Space. My parents hated it....its all perspective.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by subfab

wow, i'm missing out on some good stuff. i thought dr. who was a crime solving science guy who travels through dimensions using a telephone booth.

going to have to give it a look.

At the heart of the show, its more of a mystery and puzzle. most episodes follow a format where you initially are introduced to something that, because of our human nature, we want to snap judge..rarely is your initial assessment a accurate one.

If you are considering giving Who a shot, I highly recommend starting with season 5, episode 1 (The 11th Hour).. It is a story, so it is somewhat important to go in order..else your not going to know just wtf is going on.

Give it a half hour...at the half hour point, you will either be absorbed into it (and by the end, you will be downloading the rest of the season,the Christmas specials, and season 6 and 7 also)...or not..
If you watch only the first 5 minutes, you may shut it off...keep in mind, the candy wrapping colorful clown nose goes away really, really quick...so ya..half hour.

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
I Love Doctor Who!

However, I must agree that many of the shows are NOT child friendly. My kids actually do watch some of the episodes that I have to pre-approve. BUT, one night I caught my daughter up REALLY late watching Netflix.....Dr. Who.

It appeals to young tween and teens, why, because it is an adventure, and many kids DO understand the difference between imaginary and real. When I was young I loved Lost in Space. My parents hated it....its all perspective.

I tend to see Doctor Who as...Santa Clause in hell. A wonderful, nearly magical being in some of the most grim and dark circumstances.Good stuff

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
Ive never heard anyone specify that Dr. Who was a "childrens" show.
That being said,its AWESOME!

Many whom aren't familiar with the show, or only seen it on screen in passing (with its bright colors and wibbley wobbley, timey wimey type rants) write it off.
the BBC, even in its revival of 2005, scheduled it at 6pm (kiddy after school fun time slot).
They have since put it up an hour to 7, realizing the demographics are 81% 16 and above (16-106 age range) But for quite a long time, they have fought to get the stiffs in the UK and their perception about the show.

One huge critic was Mary Whitehouse whom kept writing and complaining about the older Doctor Who episodes and how dark and horrible they were considering it was a kids show (not to mention the scandalous short skirts and dripping sexuality of the companions).

And sadly, she was at the time not completely ignored..after Baker (scarf man), they did take out a lot of darkness and aim it more for kids due to the damn moral police of the day demanding it so.

And of course that started the rapid decline of the ratings, and ultimately (with insanely degrading storylines) caused it to fold up its tents).

Now..since 2005, it has completely rebooted. no more constraints, no moral police, they hired writers that were actually sci-fi fans and wanted to make a awesome show (regardless of what you may think of Moffat). But still, they have many people whom have not watched it simply assume it is a kids show.

Then again, some people think video games are for kids..then have their heads explode when they finally sit down and watch their little dumplings play a hour of grand theft auto

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Hello.

Doctor Who: the “children's show” that should never be watched by children!. I strongly disagree

Doctor Who is the most popular show in our household. It's the one show we ALL watch TOGETHER. Ages from mature adult, through young adult, to teens; females as well as male. Now, it happens to be my twelve-year-old (five in 2005 when she first started watching them; on HER OWN insistence) daughter's joint favourite show (along with the now ended “Merlin”). She also enjoys the spin-offs Torchwood (1st series 7pm version, and carefully vetted (with no adult-loving scenes) episodes from the others). Also, The Sarah Jane Adventures too, she constantly watches the re-runs, over and over, in between Who, over and over AND over!! She seeks to understand and analyse all the characters; the antagonists as well as the protagonists; the stories themselves, the stories put historical events and people into an understandable context; yes, sometimes she finds them momentarily scary- The Unquiet Dead springs to mind, BUT ALWAYS emotionally uplifting and satisfying. To sum it up- the mental and emotional journey that is each episode she'd join me in coining the show's epic sum-it-up-statement: “Love the running!!”

It's not about the monsters (well;;, partly!). Doctor Who and it's various spin-offs contain thought-provoking, emotional concepts, which frequently challenges the watcher's view of right and/ vs. wrong. Hidden within the storyline are sub-plots of emotional connections, enduring relationships and some interesting science fiction which tries to remain relatable to it's viewer. They also seem to me to embody a Parent/ Child relationship at their heart: the all-wise alien, the strong-leading futurist or the matriarchal all-knowing investigator; with their various protégés' and companions learning, from the hero/ heroine, better life lessons then they already know. Also an interest in such shows also leads the young into cultural events such as The Proms.

All-in-all best show on TV. Highly recommended for children OF ALL AGES

Seeker7

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Just wanted to say ....

VERY disappointed with the Doctor and Clara in the Russian sub episode.
It was really dull.

HOPE that the episode tonight about the psychic is better.
They really need to do more with explaining Claras situation.

And ... I miss Amy and Rory ....

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Just wanted to say ....

VERY disappointed with the Doctor and Clara in the Russian sub episode.
It was really dull.

HOPE that the episode tonight about the psychic is better.
They really need to do more with explaining Claras situation.

And ... I miss Amy and Rory ....

When they were saying goodbye to the ponds at the beginning of the series, Clara was a sort of consolation prize for those whom loved the ponds..Clara was indeed highly intriguing..and though the best companions parted ways with Doc, and it was terrible to see them go, there was excitement about Clara and the huge buildup they were making for her.

And then the season started...and...nothing. Just nothing. I am actually bored of her character..so far every show has made her less and less interesting. I don't understand it. 2 episodes before her and the audience is wildly curious..and now it seems they are purposefully trying to make her a dull companion that is uninteresting. I am not sure if its on purpose, or if Moff is letting his accountant nephew write some stories as some sort of present..who knows..but man, what a let down. The first one (bells/john) was good enough mind you..bit soft, but also interesting and did help in establishing both her character, and her mystery...since then...nothing. Pity really, I had such high hopes of her.

What we know about Clara as of season 7.5:
She is boring
She isn't special
She is scared of adventure
She listens to the doctor when told to stay
She doesn't seem romantically interested in the doctor

I am thinking he picked up the wrong Clara considering she is basically the opposite of Victorian Clara

-grumbles-

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seeker7
Hello.

Doctor Who: the “children's show” that should never be watched by children!. I strongly disagree

Doctor Who is the most popular show in our household. It's the one show we ALL watch TOGETHER. Ages from mature adult, through young adult, to teens; females as well as male.

Right, well, the title of the thread is a bit provocative, but it was meant to basically smash through the idea that Doctor Who is akin to Pee Wee's playhouse or morning cartoons type kids stuff.

Its more like..Buffy...in space...with a time machine...and actual deep plots sometime.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join