It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists say they have found a Higgs boson (God Particle)

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnik

The standard model predicted the Higgs-Boson particle. For decades it was not found. The standard model could have been wrong and some cental component missing. The find of the particle proves the model right. So there is the first use of it: We can stop looking for fundamental flaw in the standard model...yay.
Also the mass of the particle leads to interesting conclusion. F.e. the vacuum is not stable (the universe that is). At one point the vacuum will tear apart and a new universe will expand totally destroying the information of this universe... ok now i got dragged away, but if you are interested in that stuff just google it. Scientists always wondered, whether the universe will end hot or cold. Second use: Now they know (except if there are more different HiggsBosons).
Now that we know where to look for the HiggsBoson, we might experiment with it and start to understand how it works. Maybe even immitating or manipulating gravity. Third use: Back-to-the-future-skateboards!
The real use from fundamental science often doesn't come from the insights themself, but from the development of equipment and technologies necessary to experiment and observe. A lot of it goes into hightech medical equipment - or the internet, which has been invented at CERN for scientist before it was used by the US military.
As for other uses - just use your imagination. Anybody who claims fundamental science to be useless, will be proven wrong and ignorant by history. It has always been this way, so dont jump on that waggon

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Last I heard it was being testing to see if it is exactly what they think it is or if it is piece of something bigger,.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
so here it is in layman's terms . they have just spent 10 billion dollars on the machinery that discovered that 99 point 999999999 recurring people on this planet are in-fact human

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Not sure if this was posited yet, but, here's an idea of something that may come of this discovery. If they have discovered the Higgs Boson, then, perhaps, there's an Anti-Higgs Boson? If the Higgs Boson imparts mass upon particles, then would an Anti-Higgs reduce mass of particles?

Think about it, something that reduces or "negates" mass would provide the ability to travel near the speed of light, with less energy required, or better yet, flying cars (finally)

Don't think of it as the end of the experiment, but the beginning of a journey into uncharted territory.

edit on 15-3-2013 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnik

Lol Time machine , teleportation etc will always be classified.
To monkey with time is extremely dangerous

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The Higgs is a constantly generating force. It is constantly outputting the perception of matter all around you right now. It doesn't create matter, because there is no such thing as matter in reality. Matter is purely a concept of form and nothing more. So to say that the Higgs generates matter is very misleading because that makes it sound like matter is real. When everyone knows that there is no such thing as matter in reality. so, more correctly, it generates the PERCEPTION of matter. In other words, it generates our perception of reality. And it is doing that every moment you are perceiving something.

The Higgs is not somewhere in a lab facility, you're looking at it right now!. Every thing you are perceiving, including touch and sight, depth, time/space (which are all perceptions not realities) is being generated by Higgs right now. It is the perception that generates what we call reality. So the Higgs is generating your perception of your World, including all the form you perceive.

And it is doing this consciously, and it is in constant symbioses with your consciousness. So it's an obviously, overwhelming level of intelligence, that is creating all of the perception of Form all around you, including your perception of the Universe. Virtually the source of ALL phenomena. Calling it a God particle, is not too far off from the truth. And there is a direct relationship between it and consciousness.

It goes much deeper than this., because if you want to know all about the Higgs, you've only to look within yourself...because you ARE one. But that's for a different forum.
edit on 15-3-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection
reply to post by dragnik

Lol Time machine , teleportation etc will always be classified.
To monkey with time is extremely dangerous

Indeed it is.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
The way I interpreted the OP's post was that he was asking people of faith how they feel about the discovery. As a person of faith (not speaking for all people of faith), I feel it's an awesome discovery. There's no can of worms, no implication to my faith.

I'm using 'faith' without being specific because I feel that most with faith (regardless of type) probably feel roughly the same at the core... They're all God's particles.

I sometimes wonder if folks with the perspective of the OP are trying to disprove God with science. Looking back in time, seeing very far, or seeing things that are very small - doesn't disprove God. We're looking at His building blocks, we should be humbled (imo).

I've felt in the past, when considering the complexity of our universe, that there is no way it could maintain it's order without God. There would be chaos everywhere, and nothing would exist.

Not to long ago I was watching The Universe on the History channel when a Scientist in a nut-shell stated that the more they learn, the more it's starting to look like this universe was made by design. They equated the balance to all the beaches of the world - to remove one grain of sand would cause nothing to exist. As though against all odds, the Universe seems purposefully custom tailored for Life. There was more to it than that, but that was the gist.

I've seen examples like that both from the Scientific side, and the Faith side. They're talking, and finding common ground.

I don't plan to debate my opinion. Like I said, I sort of have a feeling the OP feels people of faith think the world exists by way of "Magic". When the "trick" is discovered, you can't believe the Magician is Magic any more.

I understand the logic - but as a learned person with faith, I would be offended if you insinuated I thought the world was magic; and would propose that you have a narrow world view. I'd suggest that you speak with other educated people with faith.. not to gain faith, but to learn how we actually feel - instead of supposing it.

If I'm off on your underlying sentiment OP just disregard the above.

So that's how this person with faith feels about it... They're all God's particles, and they were and are, already all there. We're like children in relation, learning / discovering something "new" - when in fact the particle is necessary for you to exist, so you can look for it in the first place...

Kind of like nothing "new" was found, but we did confirm we were right about how we thought something works, that's been working since the dawn of time.. How that relates to people's feelings about God seems to far removed to be debatable, or to even be a conversation. Here's what I mean:

If you were to say "I learned how to make pie, now how do you feel about high taxes!!" I'd assume what you really want to talk about is taxes; not pie - and that you had a chip on your shoulder about high taxes from your approach. What it really boils down to is you want to tell me how you feel about taxes. Not a worthwhile conversation to the other person, but they'd probably like to have some of your pie.

In short - the discovery is your proof, and it's mine. The more we learn, the closer that common ground gets. Eventually the two camps will be neighbours, borrowing sugar from each other - it's inevitable, but a slow process - we're only human after all.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
They are saying the Higgs Boson is a field, with as many as possibly 5 different Boson Fields.

This is interesting because since the Higgs Boson field is constant in space, it means as the Universe expands into the void, then the Higgs Boson field would also have to increase in size, since the Higgs field is everywhere.

So how would this effect the Higgs Boson field, with the effect of time, although the Higgs Boson is a constant field in space, what effect would it have, as through time, space expands as does the Higgs field.

In that the Higgs Boson is what is giving mass to electrons , neutrinos, Top Quarks, in fact that the Higgs would some how explain gravity, what would this mean in respect to The Big Crunch.

This would seem to disprove Hawking's theory of a Open universe, as if the Higgs Boson is a constant field in space this would mean the field would forever move outward into the void causing space and the Higgs Boson field to expand into infinity..

Hawking states that every particle, atom, and so on, would be ripped apart as Space expanded in to infinity, and then simply vanish at some point back into the nothingness. This in it self would also seem to be a contradiction, as to what would happen to the Anti Universe, that was Created at the same time as the Universe we speak of..

The biggest question would be what would happen to the Higgs Boson if it's field is always present in the positive Universe, this in it self even if Hawking was correct to a point, but it would seem to have to cause the occurrence of another Bang if the HiggsBoson is really what is powering this Universe, to begin with.
edit on 15-3-2013 by OOOOOO because: t

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The Universe started off as extreme chaos, the first atom to appear was Hydrogen it was everywhere, still is, in the Universe, from what I have read there is one hydrogen atom per square meter of empty space.

But that is what, in a Universe that is what 15 billion years old. It will, is changing just as the moon is moving away from the Earth. Change happens.

The Universe is becoming more complex as it goes along, but I still see much chaos, through out the Universe. If you think about it the Bang has only just occurred.

There is a progression taking place, we can now look out and admire Creation, but where is this Creation headed, what is the Omega Point, you know when the job is finished.

So far we are doing a terrible job with the Earth, I think we will still, get our part done, as the Machine is coming. What are we though but Bio-Mechanical Machines, ours selves.

The real A-Is might just get rid of the meat.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join