It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists say they have found a Higgs boson (God Particle)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Exactly!

We are "pretty sure" or "we may have"..... It's getting old now. Like the little boy who cried wolf.

Did you find it or not!!?

How can they find something that cannot be directly observed?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

Again, and this isn't up for debate. Without science, you wouldn't be going to work, watching your news, or talking to me right now.

No he would be somewhere cultivating the land free and proud. He would look around and feel the magic in everything.

Right now he works 40+ hours per week goes home to see what kind of new inhumane way we can mistreat each other and spend worthless time on the Internet talking to someone that does not quite realize in the end, it all ends and science can do nothing about that.

All mans discoveries, accomplishments in the long run mean nothing. The material universe will recycle and all materialistic goals are futile. The spiritual side is forever, science is temporary.

Oh and please do not try and explain science to me I understand it. A good share of the population do. In the long run its just useless. Mans ego is just so damn short sighted.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
How did a Higgs Boson come to exist in the first place. Wouldn't it have always been there (eternal) or how did it come to suddenly 'pop' up into existence.

Any thoughts?f

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I dont think this has been posted today. But I could be wrong with using this new search function. If It is, Im sorry, I did try.

What does this story do for your beliefs? Doesnt change a thing? Makes you look at the universe and life differently? It is on the top of drudge, so HE obviously thinks this is big news... But do you? I do personally, but Ive gone down this hole before with no real results to examine when it comes to this topic. Id be really interested more in what this discovery and confirmation does for FUTURE research more than anything.

Opening a can of worms?

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Perhaps this latest confirmation will lead to a new source of energy - an unlimited source of energy. If this "stuff" is what binds the universe - i.e. atoms, then finding where it is makes a bit more easier to focus on it. It's no longer a moving target. They can now start fine tuning the instruments to zero in what this "stuff" really is.

Just imagine to be able to understand how such "stuff" works makes you wonder the possibilities. Hopefully it will be used for the good of mankind - but as it is, we have atom bombs, hydrogen bombs and neutron bombs. Makes you shiver what kind of (constructive/destructive) power this holds.

Hopefully though, it's the constructive side we will discover.

Imagine to be able to affect/effect the conditions of matter by manipulating the Higgs Field. I dare not go there.

Then again - what if you can turn silver into gold by affecting/effecting the Higgs Field - will greed come to the fore?

Who will control this power - if such "feat" can be done?

Gives me shivers in the spine.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
"LightSpeedDriver"

even the name implies science. how you gonna do a bit of late night light speed driving without a nice hot mug of science.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Exactly!

We are "pretty sure" or "we may have"..... It's getting old now. Like the little boy who cried wolf.

Did you find it or not!!?

How can they find something that cannot be directly observed?

As has been mentioned, they are only seeing the 'leftovers' from the higgs.

Basically, you fire particles at each other at incredibly high speed to get a high energy but tiny explosion. This creates a soup of particles(due to the high energy). They can predict what particles were created and what they should decay into. It is the particles left after a miniscule fraction of a second that they count.

Say they know they average number of particle m that is produced in the highest energy collisions before the LHC. They keep increasing the speed (energy), once they start seeing an increased average of m in line with their predictions, they think they have found evidence of the Higgs, the longer they run the experiments, the more certain they become. There are statistical milestones they pass called 'sigmas', I think these are what are generating most of these announcements.

As for what are the ramifications of this?
No idea really. Its kind of like the electron and its field, you can kind of produce an electron from it's field and control it to make it transfer energy (at first it was seen as only good for parlour tricks). It won't be the same for the Higgs, look what we had to go through to produce one just for an instant. However, there will be benefits derived from the deeper understanding we will have once they gather all the information they can about it. We will just have to wait and see.

Disclaimer: I am not a scientist so feel free to correct me if I have got anything above wrong.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DJOldskool

As for what are the ramifications of this?

Ummmmh...what's this red button for?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Again, and this isn't up for debate. Without science, you wouldn't be going to work, watching your news, or talking to me right now.

No he would be somewhere cultivating the land free and proud. He would look around and feel the magic in everything.

Right now he works 40+ hours per week goes home to see what kind of new inhumane way we can mistreat each other and spend worthless time on the Internet talking to someone that does not quite realize in the end, it all ends and science can do nothing about that.

All mans discoveries, accomplishments in the long run mean nothing. The material universe will recycle and all materialistic goals are futile. The spiritual side is forever, science is temporary.

Oh and please do not try and explain science to me I understand it. A good share of the population do. In the long run its just useless. Mans ego is just so damn short sighted.

I love the hypocrisy. As you type all that holier than thou rhetoric on your computer.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

yes.

Another step towards anti-gravity!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by fatpastyhead
"LightSpeedDriver"

even the name implies science. how you gonna do a bit of late night light speed driving without a nice hot mug of science.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

LOL! I prefer late night sessions (it's a song by Beef, a Dutch reggae band, of all the things....) but um... Man cannot live by bread alone...? I am not an expert by any means but that doesn't prevent me having a sometimes outspoken, unfounded and possibly even downright wrong opinion, but that doesn't change it any the less.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Without special and general relativity, we wouldn't have satellite GPS or navigation.

I see the Higgs Boson eventually leading to advances in computer power that we could only dream of, such as quantum computing (eventually).

edit on 14-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

Poppycock. GR and SR hypotheses have nothing to do with gps.
b4 quantum computing becomes a reality man will have to learn how to deal with singularities

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
We can look as long, and as small as we want to.

until we look within, we won't find or understand the answers.

What makes up the Higgs Boson? etc...

We're looking in the wrong places.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

very nice

i couldnt agree more.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2

Imagine to be able to affect/effect the conditions of matter by manipulating the Higgs Field. I dare not go there.

Then again - what if you can turn silver into gold by affecting/effecting the Higgs Field - will greed come to the fore?

Who will control this power - if such "feat" can be done?

Lol, its more like, you shouldn't dare to go, either of the 2 places

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well, as the world looks now, and with the elite evil.. they have hidden so much from us already so most likely they will do it again with much of this. Look what they did to Tesla. We could have free energy already and I would not be surprised if he already found what they have. I know that they quite often dont know what they play with. Have not understood the consequences only found the key.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by Visitor2012

I totally agree with your posts. Starred everyone including this one as well. I love how you think and word your thoughts.

With that said, this post below is one I want to expand on.

Yet with ALL the knowledge, we know absolutely nothing about ourselves or the nature of Reality. Scientifically speaking of course.

Knowledge is easy to obtain but wisdom of said knowledge allows the knowledge to expand. Although with both, it appears to be nothing more than a "belief".

I see what you are saying in regards to Higgs. How can something be found which cannot be directly observed?

Science it seems is taking a leap and focusing on the invisible in this instance?

Thank you MamaJ. I agree, they are. I also believe that the cutting edge scientific knowledge, we never hear about, is under tight watch and highly classified. Meanwhile they feed the masses with University level nonsense. The writers of these are articles make matters worse, because they have a tendency of turning it all into pseudo-science. Yet, I believe, the classified science is light years beyond the garbage we're being fed.
edit on 14-3-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Actually they technically found the particle back in July of 2012.
It just took them this long to claim it's confirmed apparently?
Probably one of the biggest physics discoveries since the atom.

Thanks for taking the time to update the info, probably would not have knew this right away without your OP

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi
The Higgs particle was discovered in 1959 five years before Scottish physicist Peter Higgs even conceived of it. This became known in 1980 to senior Theosophists like Dr Lester Smith FRS, discoverer of vitamin B12, and other scientists, including a past president of the London Society for Psychical Research. See HERE. The particle found last year at CERN is not the true "God particle." That title was just a journalistic invention to promote a book written by Fermilab director Leon Lederman. The particle that can correctly be called the "God particle" in the sense that it embodies the 10-fold nature of God and exists everywhere is THIS.
edit on 14-3-2013 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

This has pretty much scrambled my brain, Do you really under stand any of this stuff you have just presented, I have been trying to understand some of this, but I am in the lower levels of Malkuth, side track to Hod trying to get back threw Yesod then Hod followed by Netzach then on with Tiphereth, I have been tto the levels above this but without much really understanding.

With all those numbers presented and going back to Leadbeter,in having a correlation to this higgs boson, and the tree of life is very confusing.

I know some of the big breakthroughs were with some PSI involvement in mentally viewing atoms and perceiving their actions as by a remote viewing perspective.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by unb3k44n7
Actually they technically found the particle back in July of 2012.
It just took them this long to claim it's confirmed apparently?
Probably one of the biggest physics discoveries since the atom.

The way I read it, they are still not sure, but only think they are sure, they have found the Higgs Boson, they also mentioned they think there may be as many as, i believe they said 5 different types.
But would that be different types or effects, due to the Higgs Boson.

And what still no tiny Black holes to get Hawking, his Noble prize , or did I miss something.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

"strongly indicates that it is a Higgs boson."

I remember they said the same thing a year ago.. unless I experience a shift in time

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join