It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists say they have found a Higgs boson (God Particle)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

I dont know. I 've been reading a lot about dark matter and dark energy. Dark matter seems to surround visible matter like an aura and dark energy surrounds all of that. Perhaps this Higgs is the way that dark matter sucks in dark energy to become visible matter. Perhaps its the opposite end of a small black hole and we are finally seeing what the black hole spits out at its other end? Leon Lederman, who gave the Higgs Boson is nick name, the God particle says he did so because they wouldn't let him call it the God damned particle. His book, If the Universe is the Answer, what is the question,is very informative, makes this stuff easy to understand is is also kind of funny.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Was this announced last eyar when they said they belive that they are 99.9% sure the higgs boson exists??!?!?!! i think the OP is a bit late.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Being sure it exists, and finding evidence showing it, are two different things...

If they did actually find it, Nobels all around, that's for sure...

I know most don't grasp the significance, but let's think for a moment...

Without quantum mechanics, we wouldn't have transistors, microchips, mobile phones, computers, lasers or M.R.I. scanners.

Without radio waves (once described by their discoverer as an interesting experiment with no practical application), we wouldn't have radar, weather prediction, television, wireless computing or emergency response.

Without special and general relativity, we wouldn't have satellite GPS or navigation.

Electric power, motors, and lighting all derive from scientific theoretical work, that was later applied to practical applications.

I see the Higgs Boson eventually leading to advances in computer power that we could only dream of, such as quantum computing (eventually).

edit on 14-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
They are operating on faith. They have NOT found, and never will FIND, an ACTIVE "God Particle". It doesn't exist in real-time and is not observable using any technology that will ever be invented. It is a foot print. They've found a foot print.

Let's say we exist in a painted world, the "God Particle" is a bristol on the master brush that paints time and substance.
edit on 14-3-2013 by Atlantican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

In essence, you are correct, and it's a good analogy....they found the footprint or tell-tale signs of the particle, not the particle itself. But, that may be enough for their Nobels...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Being sure it exists, and finding evidence showing it, are two different things...

If they did actually find it, Nobels all around, that's for sure...

I know most don't grasp the significance, but let's think for a moment...

Without quantum mechanics, we wouldn't have transistors, microchips, mobile phones, computers, lasers or M.R.I. scanners.

Without radio waves (once described by their discoverer as an interesting experiment with no practical application), we wouldn't have radar, weather prediction, television, wireless computing or emergency response.

Without special and general relativity, we wouldn't have satellite GPS or navigation.

Electric power, motors, and lighting all derive from scientific theoretical work, that was later applied to practical applications.

I see the Higgs Boson eventually leading to advances in computer power that we could only dream of, such as quantum computing (eventually).

Being sure that it exists, would still be a Belief, and just a stone throw away from a religious one. Without all our knowledge, we would not have the stuff we surround ourselves with. Yet with ALL the knowledge, we know absolutely nothing about ourselves or the nature of Reality. Scientifically speaking of course.

edit on 14-3-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Perhaps learning how to direct it and use it. If it gives mass maybe we can learn to make it make what we want. Like rain in desert areas so we can solve the problem of world hunger. Or find ways to make mankind live longer and healthier lives.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet
This is a great discovery but I personally don't know what effect it wil have. What practical uses can come from it?

As for calling it the "god particle" is misleading. They originally called it that "goddamn particle" due to its frustratingly hard to find nature. The publisher didnt want to call it that. So it has less to do with some grand holy gesture.

edit on 3/14/2013 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)
And yet it is everywhere and it gives mass. It creates.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by larapa

Two different experiments. One was creating antimatter one was looking for an elusive particle.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Good thing we're not all depending on you finding anything. You have limiting beliefs and without a vision there is never any progress. Science is not all about creating toxicity . Science also saves and improves lives. A King living in 1340 for all his riches still had a dark house at night and a cold house during winter but he was better off than the man who lived in a cave. Someone living in the 1910's had electricity but still got his water from a well in the ground. In the 1960's we watched TV but it was mostly black and white. Progress helps mankind for the most part. We search and we find ways to improve the quality of life so that today even the poorest people are living lives much better than that rich King from 1340. You could no more turn your back on science than you can turn your back on breathing. We didnt even touch on what science has done for medicine and medical practices. My children born 21 years apart were taken care of in entirely different was both pre and post natal.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Sometimes science is annoyingly slow. It took two years before they found dark matter. They looked one year, collected data for another entire year and then looked again a year after that. The first year they didnt find anything. The second year they found one indicator.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Didn't this happen last year? Is this the Twilight Zone?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Scientist were certainly involved in creating your PC. From the computer science of programing to the physical science that created the plastic keyboard and the frame for the screen, to the creation of the laser that reads your cd's science had its hand in every process. Otherwise we'd be talking to you through a soup can tied to a string. Or you would be engraving your message in rock and waiting for us to 'discover " it .

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Lets see your pros and cons list just to make sure that the scale actually balances to the bad side.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

So you dont only have issues with science you also have issues with corporations. Before corporations it was robber barrons. The owner got rich but no one else did. Corporations spread the wealth and the responsibility around. Do you have a job? Do you get paid every week or every two weeks ? I wonder why you're really so bitter. What beef do you have with science on a personal level?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by homeskillet

You find it hard to accept opinions other than yours but that's not a crime and is your own free decision. That in itself does not suddenly change truth to fiction. But if you would care to show me when a scientist had his hand on my PC I'll be happy to listen.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the mutual back-patting in this thread. Soon we will know the secrets of the universe...right? Monkey see, monkey do.

My views are ironic, well, at least they carry weight then.
Ironic is surely containing iron...?
Hey it was a computer scientist who programed your machine and there is no getting around that.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by homeskillet

No scientists were involved in the construction of my PC, the tech required to make them is failry ubiquitous these days. In fact, millions of these technological marvels get shipped to homes and businesses every year and absolutely no scientists are involved.

A scientist might not have wielded a soldering iron or screwdriver, but I daresay you would have no computer to grouse on without the likes of physicist J. J. Thompson (discovery of the electron); physicist A. Einstein (discovery of the photon and the photoelectric effect); physicists William Shockley, John Bardeen, and Walter Brattain (discovery of the point contact transistor) and Morgan Sparks (Junction transistor); chemist and materials scientist Alexander Parkes (inventor of plastic); or, applied mathematician Gottfried Leibniz (inventor of binary code. Recognizing the contributions of great men doesn't make you smaller. Belittling them does.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22
Didn't this happen last year? Is this the Twilight Zone?

I'm feeling exactly like you and the fact that noone is paying attention to these comments makes me think if we're in some sort of parallel universe where THEY cant really see what we're typing and the thing we heard last year they're just listening to it now...

holy weird sh. batman...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
For those that keep asking this question..

What 'they' keep announcing is being more and more sure it's the Higgs Boson. The announcements are confusing because the titles usually include things like "found it" "discovered" "absolutely positive" and then later in the article it's always followed with "We're pretty sure. Could be the Graviton".

The implications are amazing either way

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Visitor2012

I totally agree with your posts. Starred everyone including this one as well. I love how you think and word your thoughts.

With that said, this post below is one I want to expand on.

Yet with ALL the knowledge, we know absolutely nothing about ourselves or the nature of Reality. Scientifically speaking of course.

Knowledge is easy to obtain but wisdom of said knowledge allows the knowledge to expand. Although with both, it appears to be nothing more than a "belief".

I see what you are saying in regards to Higgs. How can something be found which cannot be directly observed?

Science it seems is taking a leap and focusing on the invisible in this instance?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join