It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists say they have found a Higgs boson (God Particle)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The Huffington Post has a good article on it. Wanna read some messed up stuff though? Check out this link to the article and go through the slideshow of top twitter comments about the confirmation of the Higgs being discovered.

www.huffingtonpost.com...=1194416

At least those people will never probably be entitled to the ramifications of this breakthrough.

GREAT NEWS THOUGH!

I hate to give you a flag bknapple but it seems you posted this topic 1st so I'll give it to ya.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Incorrect. Science's mistakes, greed, arrogance and sheer stupidity make me hate it. I very much doubt that science invented the wheel, but rather a person. Much like many other discoveries. You can call it science if you want, but really it is just people, observation, trial, error and many other things. Sometimes a pooling of knowledge, but only sometimes. Patent rights and all that, not to mention the paywalls all the new "discoveries" are sitting behind....meh!

Sometimes they get it right, rockets to the moon (and all that but other times they get it very wrong. History is full of the mistakes of science, along with some of it's triumph's but please, do not equate science with truth. Science and truth are not the same, period. At best you might call Science "The Pursuit of Reality" but it is largely disappointing imho. Seeing as how we now get the usual ATS BS of 6 people ganging up on one, I can't type fast enough to reply to all of you and said pretty much (my opinion, not cast in stone) everything I had to in my 1st post, bickering serves no point, to you or to me.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

If you really dont feel science has done anything for your daily life. Stop using the following ( if you do, I dont know you, but Ill make some safe educated assumptions).

Do not use an alarm clock to wake up.
Do not use a toilet.
Do not turn your lights on ( or anything electronic ever, computer, tv, phone, oven, refrigerator, air conditioning, etc)
Do not use a car to go to work.
Do not go to work ( Because Im guessing your work relies on the use of electricity, phones, fax, internet etc)
Do not purchase any items from any stores ( Obvious, but i feel you need an explanation to possibly grasp this.... Every purchase you make relies on science in some form. Electricity to store goods, complete purchases etc. Heck, even purchasing organic tomatoes at a farmers market relied on science. Agriculture.. Look it up I suppose)

Do not read a book. ( you know.. printing press and that whole thing)

So what are you left with? Well assuming its not freezing, or exorbitantly hot out, you will sit in your home ( which science built btw but I wont even go there) with no lights on, no entertainment, no computer, no books, no food, and essentially you would probably starve to death.

Please show me how you could live without science. I'd love to see that.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
Whoa...this thread got derailed pretty quick...

I have a question about the actual OP? Is that cool?

What happens next? What is the next stage after confirming the confirmation
of the 'God Particle'?

edit on 14/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

Thats what I cant wait to find out. Im already reading about theoretical adventures into making particles travel faster than the speed of light. This undoubtedly will have an impact on those studies. I'd love to know what else we have in store.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1/2 Nephilim
The Huffington Post has a good article on it. Wanna read some messed up stuff though? Check out this link to the article and go through the slideshow of top twitter comments about the confirmation of the Higgs being discovered.

www.huffingtonpost.com...=1194416

At least those people will never probably be entitled to the ramifications of this breakthrough.

GREAT NEWS THOUGH!

I hate to give you a flag bknapple but it seems you posted this topic 1st so I'll give it to ya.

Hahaha. My nemesis. Ive given you a flag before, so we'll call it even.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

I very much doubt that science invented the wheel

I'm done.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

well im not a physicist but im sure it has much to do with understanding the composition of matter, knowing how matter gains mass n all that thurr...like I said it shows that there is more to this existence than meets the eye. Humans are using the intelligence bestowed upon them to figure out the universe around us and what role we play in it all. I understand how it wouldn't seem important to people who only cares about the basic and mundane.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Fair enough.

GUYS!!! Lets not allow this thread to be derailed.

Deny ignorance by not giving it a reply, your just throwing fuel on the fire bashing an obviously uneducated person.

This has the potential to be the biggest scientific discovery/confirmation ever!

Lets be happy about it, mmk?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

I very much doubt that science invented the wheel

I'm done.

Me too, let's shake hands and do a little dance.

PS I wasn't trying to derail, merely offering a complete idiot's opinion that was not fit for your perusal. An opinion that differs from yours is not inherently bad, just so you don't feel like I was aiming at you personally.

Peace out.
edit on 14/3/13 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

All good points. Just irks me with such astoundingly illogical thinking.

I agree though, this could be the Earth shattering moment that the masses dont realize for quite some time when an effect can be seen by the untrained eye. Should this prove to lead to what many think it will, people will look back to March of 2013

link   

lets wait till they say: oh no it wasn't

link   
so now that they have found it...or, maybe found it, does that mean the LHC is Kaput....I mean, what else was it designed for...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I just dont understand how you dont see basic things like science inventing the wheel.

Science isnt a guy in a lab coat with beakers. Get that out of your head man. Science is the guy or group of people who push the boundaries of the time. Who try and understand more and solve the problem of the day. Even if it was one guy all alone turning a block into a wheel for a smoother pull, thats science.

As I stated in an above post. You literally cannot live your life today without science. Any example you would try and give to the contrary, I PROMISE you, will be refuted with verifiable science.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
so now that they have found it...or, maybe found it, does that mean the LHC is Kaput....I mean, what else was it designed for...

No way! It means things are getting done. Its just the beginning. Like finding the key to unlock a door youve been staring at for years. No choice but to use the key now.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Yes like bknapple said, this is just the beginning. To discover the Higgs was the main objective in building CERN & the LHC, however it is now expected that other types of particles or other types of "Higgs" will be found, technically CERN has already found 1 that has a lower mass than the Higgs the LHC has discovered.

This was the last step needed to expand the standard model of physics. It completes the standard model. Anything found extra from here on out is an expansion of the standard model which will begin to make certain areas of quantum physics fact.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

And thats the key. Science textbooks are about to be rewritten

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

reply to post by homeskillet
In fact, millions of these technological marvels get shipped to homes and businesses every year and absolutely no scientists are involved.

The scientists at Air Products beg to differ.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

Originally posted by SilentE
Whoa...this thread got derailed pretty quick...

I have a question about the actual OP? Is that cool?

What happens next? What is the next stage after confirming the confirmation
of the 'God Particle'?

edit on 14/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

Thats what I cant wait to find out. Im already reading about theoretical adventures into making particles travel faster than the speed of light. This undoubtedly will have an impact on those studies. I'd love to know what else we have in store.

Man I wish I was smarter!..

So this could have good implications for space travel then? Or am I misunderstanding something?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Honestly, the best way I can put it is the door analogy. We have a key to unlock it. But I dont think anyone knows what is behind the door. Just a bunch of good guesses. Scientists wont be kicking this door down because of how unknown it is. I think it will be opened very very very slowly millimeter by millimeter.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
They've only found strong evidence that points to its existence. The true 'God Particle' isn't a particle at all...nor is it a form. So whatever they are able to see , will still be form and NOT the source. Scientists must already know this, but the writer who wrote this pseudo science article, is clueless. But it gets the masses interested at least.

But for now, it said, there can be little doubt that a Higgs boson does exist, in some form.

There is still doubt, thus it remains theory...sorry. They are trying to see the Higgs as a form..an observable phenomena itself, when the Higgs is supposed to be the source of ALL phenomena. Such a silly and poorly written article.

The data "strongly indicates that it is a Higgs boson

Still a theory...just like the atoms. Like atoms, the Higgs bosom is only a theory..they will never find it..only evidence of its existence. Only it's foot print.

No scientist has ever seen an atom. The atom is still a concept of matter...and so is the Higgs. However, the Higgs is a non-form, you will only see the forms it manifests. You will only be able to 'see' the subtle forms... But the Higgs is pure nothingness, that is why it will always be behind that which is seen.

People should not misunderstand this article and think that the God particle has been found. No such nonsense. They found strong evidence that points to the Higgs...but they will never 'see' the Higgs. Because the Higgs, or the Source..is BEFORE the form. It manifests all of the subtle forms that the scientists are observing. The scientists are trying to 'see' a black hole, but they will only be able to see the phenomena that surrounds it.

All of their numbers confirm the existence of the Higgs, even though the Higgs is the non-existence from which existence manifests. It is before quantum phenomena.

Data confirms the existence of the Higgs, like the data that support the existence of the Atom. Yet neither will ever be seen...because they are not form...they are concepts backed by formulas and numbers.

Nothing has been found...only a more subtle layer of reality. The true Source 'particle' is what creates all of the observable phenomena. You will only be able to observe the phenomena..the forms..the data, you will never be able to see and study the un-phenomen! Which is what the Higgs actually is.
edit on 14-3-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join