It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists say they have found a Higgs boson (God Particle)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Physicists say they have found a Higgs boson (God Particle)

apnews.myway.com

GENEVA (AP) - The search is all but over for a subatomic particle that is a crucial building block of the universe.

Physicists announced Thursday they believe they have discovered the subatomic particle predicted nearly a half-century ago, which will go a long way toward explaining what gives electrons and all matter in the universe size and shape.

The elusive particle, called a Higgs boson, was predicted in 1964 to help fill in our understanding of the creation of the universe, which many theorize occurred in a massive explosion known as the Big Bang. The particle was named for Peter H
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I dont think this has been posted today. But I could be wrong with using this new search function. If It is, Im sorry, I did try.

What does this story do for your beliefs? Doesnt change a thing? Makes you look at the universe and life differently? It is on the top of drudge, so HE obviously thinks this is big news... But do you? I do personally, but Ive gone down this hole before with no real results to examine when it comes to this topic. Id be really interested more in what this discovery and confirmation does for FUTURE research more than anything.

Opening a can of worms?

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

I like that they're testing it's 'quantum properties'. Makes me think of Stargate..!

So they've gone through the initial data and it looks promising.. but say it really is a HBP/GP.. what does that mean for us all? I read the article and yes it says it relates to the BB Theory, but.. does will it prove BB Theory, or just support it with further evidence needed?

I'll be keeping an eye out on this one.

S&F

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The Higgs particle was discovered in 1959 five years before Scottish physicist Peter Higgs even conceived of it. This became known in 1980 to senior Theosophists like Dr Lester Smith FRS, discoverer of vitamin B12, and other scientists, including a past president of the London Society for Psychical Research. See HERE. The particle found last year at CERN is not the true "God particle." That title was just a journalistic invention to promote a book written by Fermilab director Leon Lederman. The particle that can correctly be called the "God particle" in the sense that it embodies the 10-fold nature of God and exists everywhere is THIS.
edit on 14-3-2013 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Now, finally they can move forward with "Alice" or "Looking glass" or whatever they're calling it. They will simply move on to opening up a dimensional portal and let all those creatures come swarming through. Too bad for the earth.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Dammit BK, I was going to post this an hour ago but had to pop next door before I could finish!

S&F

Phys.org also have an article about this.

The search is all but over for a subatomic particle that is a crucial building block of the universe. Physicists announced Thursday they believe they have discovered the subatomic particle predicted nearly a half-century ago, which will go a long way toward explaining what gives electrons and all matter in the universe size and shape.

What's next then? (In not so smart terms
)
edit on 14/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

Gave ya a star for second place. Best I could do. Lol.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This is a great discovery but I personally don't know what effect it wil have. What practical uses can come from it?

As for calling it the "god particle" is misleading. They originally called it that "goddamn particle" due to its frustratingly hard to find nature. The publisher didnt want to call it that. So it has less to do with some grand holy gesture.

edit on 3/14/2013 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sorry to be lazy but my grasp of (and attention span when it comes too) physics is low , can anyone tell me what this means in layman terms? I understand that they shot something really, really small at something else really, really small to find something really, really, really, really, small
, but why still illudes me ? I also here that this could cause a big hole that sucks us all up into it ( i guess that didnt happen?).

What?

SIncerely,

a very confused man

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by larapa

They spent billions of tax dollars and have very little to show for it. God I hate science, trying to pollute, genetically modify (sorry genetically improve) everything around us because we are so stupid, arrogant and blinded by greed. No good will come of this discovery in our lifetimes, I dare to predict that.

Meanwhile, thousands of children day every day from war, famine, man created problems and other unholinesses.

Colour me unimpressed. No offence to OP.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I don't even know where to begin. Science is the pursuit of truth. Without it, you're not typing on that nifty brick with letters on it to a screen that interprets your hand movements into visual stimuli. I'm sure there were naysayers when big wasteful scientists were spending billions on figuring out how to make information go from the pages of a book to immortality of the world wide web.

Try and think a little ahead of this story.

There are plenty of other wasteful monies we could be using to feed the impoverished. Science isn't one of them.
edit on 14-3-2013 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

No offense but who/what is responsible for you having this luxury of being able to tell people all over the globe in a matter of seconds your dislike of science?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The search is all but over

they believe they have discovered the subatomic particle

"strongly indicates that it is a Higgs boson."

Remove all the words in bold and it would be a much more exciting announcement.

Why not wait until they have definitive proof to announce?

I'll I can see is that they a really, really close... much closer than ever before.which I think I have heard before.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Scientists are at the, it looks like, acts like, and quacks like. In the article the physicist said the 2012 data is full and is a matter of what kind of higgs boson it is at this point.

Worriedly, I didn't like those wordings either. But rereading it and im in board is the real thing.
edit on 14-3-2013 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by larapa
Sorry to be lazy but my grasp of (and attention span when it comes too) physics is low , can anyone tell me what this means in layman terms? I understand that they shot something really, really small at something else really, really small to find something really, really, really, really, small
It's about 130 times the mass of a proton, so it's small, but not that small, as particle physics goes.

What it means in layman's terms to me is that physicists won't have to go to the drawing board and come up with a revised model, like they would have to do if the Higgs wasn't found.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Pursuit of truth? What have you been smoking my friend as I'm sure even in my country of residence it is illegal.

Your logic seems flawed. I should bow down to science because I am sitting at a computer, really? Pulleeze. Just because you think science created the computer does not equate with all that "Science" does is good. I also have no idea where to begin with you, so won't.

"Try and think a little ahead of the story."

If there was a story, I wouldn't need to. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I would think it also points more to the big bang being fact and not a theory. But I don't see how any true scientist could ever really say such a thing.

Perhaps this opens up the door to more funding for theoretical physics. Which in turn could open up the door to so many wonderful possibilities.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

In the article the physicist said the 2012 data is full and is a matter of what kind of higgs boson it is at this point.

Well, actually he said he personally believes it is a HB after looking at the preliminary results of the full data set.

"The preliminary results with the full 2012 data set are magnificent and to me it is clear that we are dealing with a Higgs boson

What could possibly motivate a premature declaration like this?

The discovery would be a strong contender for the Nobel Prize.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by homeskillet

I don't know about you but I paid for the "luxury" (luxury is the new necessity) of being able to use a computer. No scientists were involved in the construction of my PC, the tech required to make them is failry ubiquitous these days. In fact, millions of these technological marvels get shipped to homes and businesses every year and absolutely no scientists are involved.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Pursuit of truth? What have you been smoking my friend as I'm sure even in my country of residence it is illegal.

Your logic seems flawed. I should bow down to science because I am sitting at a computer, really? Pulleeze. Just because you think science created the computer does not equate with all that "Science" does is good. I also have no idea where to begin with you, so won't.

"Try and think a little ahead of the story."

If there was a story, I wouldn't need to. Good luck.

I think science invented the computer? Didn't know that one was up for debate. Red flag number 1 on you. I'm smoking something because I know real science is the pursuit of truth? Red flag number 2.

I never said all science is good. Anything can be abused. But you seem to have such vitriol for science its alarming.

Again, and this isn't up for debate. Without science, you wouldn't be going to work, watching your news, or talking to me right now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join