It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bear Baiting still legal and practiced in South Carolina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This is somewhat of an old story from Huffington Posts but from research I've done, Bear Baiting is still perfectly legal in South Carolina and is still being practiced right now.

That's right, the bloody sport that many thought including me that had been banned in the 1800's remains legal in South Carolina. Hunters in the region say that they do this for dog training purposes. But undercover reports say otherwise. Many undercover reporters claim that this is a weekend event where hundreds of rural folk gather to cheer on the dogs. Some even being awarded prizes.

I am saddened and embarrassed that this barbaric and bloody sport remains legal in some parts of the U.S.

The only other parts of the world where Bear Baiting still occurs is Afghanistan, Pakistan and remote areas of Africa and the Middle East.

Here are some snippets from the Article.

You can read more Here

Uncovered in South Carolina: Bear Abuse for Show

Today, we are exposing anew one of the earliest forms of cruelty targeted by 18th- and 19th- century humane advocates and one that we had believed was no longer practiced in our nation: bear baiting, or as it's known now in its modern form, "bear baying."

Associated Press broke the story that this infamous practice is alive and well in South Carolina. An HSUS undercover investigator documented bear baying at several locations in rural areas, and it appears that South Carolina is the only state in the nation to allow this cruelty.

edit on 3/13/2013 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Oh when I first saw Bear Baiting I was gonna ask what's wrong with it as when I go bear hunting here in Georgia we bait the field just like we do with Deer

for deer we go out the previous night and place salt licks or scatter corn then following morning enter the tree stand and wait.

similar is done when bear season rolls around.

course there are limits to how many bear we can kill, I've got 2 last season. Wonderful meat, great family bbq and helps curb the overpopulation of the brown bear in the south. which have become a pest.

but the dog training, is a bit rude, they could use stuffed animal to train for hunting.

growing up I hunted deer/quail/ducks with hunting dogs.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Yeah,I agree that what use to be a survival thing has become a sick game.
I never heard of the bear baiting thing,being a native from SC,must be up there in the foothills thing.

Then there is deer hunting,do you bait your prey year round to eventually shoot it at that spot when hunting season opens,or do you use dogs to flush them out,another common practice in SC.

When many people think about using dogs for hunting, they envision Labradors retrieving downed ducks, blueticks treeing raccoons or German shorthairs flushing pheasants. But in some places, hunters pursue deer with dogs. Like in other hunting situations, the dogs are used to make the deer start running, and the hope is that the deer will run by hunters who are posted and waiting for deer to come by. Dogs are especially helpful in dense cover and other places where it is hard for hunters themselves to find deer, and people who know how to deer hunt with dogs can see a lot of deer in a day of hunting, though it is likely they will not have have shots at most of the deer.

www.ehow.com...

These tactics are not hunting but entertainment.

I use to hunt in my younger years till I realized what it was really about.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
And I am far from innocent,'cause back in highschool I use to trap raccoon and muskrat for just the fur. I would get about $20 for a coon,maybe $5 for muskrats.
I have put out salt licks and corn for the deer.
Then ,one day it hit me,we have cattle and hogs so why are we going through this trouble to hunt.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This is crap, there is no need for sport hunting, humans can be so barbaric. Hunting for food is a different story imo.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
And this is the country that loves to argue that all their citizens can be trusted with things like guns when they cant even be trusted with animals.

Whats the reasoning behind this? People dont hurt bears..dogs hurt bears?

America..F no!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
first let me say that i do enjoy a meal of just about any wild game, and when i was younger i went hunting a quit a lot. but it was mostly so we could set up the grill, cook what we shot, and sit around the camp fire and get hammered.

but we stalked our game.

when my buddies started, putting out salt licks, feeders, planting fields and sitting in tree stands, or building elaborate blinds. i quit going.

that's not hunting, that is ambushing.

i might could understand doing that, if you needed to feed your family, or use the hides for clothing but in this day and time. you can use all that money you spend on all that stuff you buy to be hunter sheik, or supplies you buy to bait and ambush your prey, to go down to the grocery store and buy some pork chops, steak and potatoes.

edit on 14-3-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Yes but there are still people this day and age that live in remote areas and depend on the land for food.
Not only that but imho, hunting your meat is much safer than buying that crap they sell at the grocery store.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Nice, did you read the whole op? because it does say it is going on in other parts of the world too.
Why do you anti-gunners always have to bash us pro-gunners. you guys act like we're all a bunch of lunatics and want to shoot everything, thats just not the case you all need to understand that fact. Anyways, this thread is about sport hunting not gun rights.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Cito

Thats not hunting, you should try real hunting and track your pray, instead of baiting and waiting.
of course this is just my own humble opinion.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus

Nice, did you read the whole op? because it does say it is going on in other parts of the world too.
Why do you anti-gunners always have to bash us pro-gunners. you guys act like we're all a bunch of lunatics and want to shoot everything, thats just not the case you all need to understand that fact. Anyways, this thread is about sport hunting not gun rights.

Ahh so that's justification eh? If someone else is doing it then its ok for you to do it? Dam thats a sad way of thinking.

What happened to leading by example?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

No, thats not what i said, i was just pointing out that its not just here that people do this, your earlier post made it seem like you were singling us out. And you really dont read do you, because i clearly stated that i am against this crap and sport hunting. please don't put words in my mouth I'd appreciate it thanks.

Peace

Ps. if you don't understand what I really meant next time how about try asking me instead of assuming things.
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

So whats your point in saying :

if its not to try to lessen the blame on Americans for this cruel behavior?

edit on 14-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by Lichter daraus

So whats your point in saying :

if its not to try to lessen the blame on Americans for this cruel behavior?

read the whole entire thread and every post dude okay please, I said it seems like you were singling us out putting all the blame on us when it's not just us. it seemed like you only read part of the post and not the part where it said it happens in other parts of the world excuse me for pointing that out sir. I'm not going to get in to a debate with you over this crap sorry, not in the mood. I was just pointing out that small detail nothing more.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Ahh so you where tying to lessen the blame on Americans for this cruel behavior by trying to point out it goes on elsewhere as well. If you are going to make a statement at least have the conviction to stand behind it. Trying to pass the blame is very immature.

At the moment you are sounding like a small child who got told off and because hes feeling picked on he trys a defense of "well hes doing it as well.." pointing to someone else

And the logical reply is "Two wrongs don't make a right, don't try to pass the blame".

The op is dealing with South Carolina so thats the topic.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

No, I was not passing the blame.IDGAF where is happening it shouldn't be happening anywhere. I guess I don't really care anyway as I stated I am against sport hunting and baiting. besides I already told you and I'll tell you again I am not in the mood to debate with you. there's really nothing to debate as we are both against this

strange though because I usually agree with stuff I read that you post in a lot of topics guess guns just isnt one of them. I also had a little bit a respect for you cuz you also seem like a respectful person but today you seem like you just want to be an ass, hope that's really not the case.

new topics

top topics

join