It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you celebrate Christmas? You may aswell celebrate Hitler day...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
We don't know what day Jesus was born.
I don't care what day is chosen to celebrate it.
One day is as good as another.
In our house, it's a "Jesus day" .. not a secular kind of day.
I'm sure that He is happy with our INTENT ...

As for the Christmas Tree thing. Yes, we put it up. Yes, I know the Old Testament warns pagans not to do that. But I don't care. It looks nice and it's fun and I'm not worshipping anything pagan when I do it. It's just a fun thing and pretty and it's harmless ...

And this is the easy description of how easy people are misled, and Christians are at the top of the list, they will believe whatever hits there fancy at the time, Church beliefs constantly changing, when in fact all of it is a constant barrage of nonsense to make sure they never get anywhere in the hunt to find "God".

Small rituals and prayers convince give them small jolts of joy and energy that the Holy Spirit is within them, but they do not realize at all usually that these things are actually being used to hold them back ultimately...

Now all the Christians I know are drinking and partying often, and this is all due to a "new understanding" LOL...and it continues......

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Can't we all just get along?

The needless bickering will cease now. Further attacks and posts lacking civility will be removed and the culprit warned, and quite possibly risk having their posting privileges suspended. In short, play nice or else. Consider this fair warning.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ParasuvO

and what of every other religion that prays and meditates and raises their voices in the name of their religion or god?

Or are we just singling out christians here..........

I love how this has turned into a christian bashing thread.................

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Nobody knows when Jesus was born, IF he was even born or even real in the first place (not debating, just stating).

You know the term "X-mas?" Well what do you think the 'X' stands for?

Unknown, like a variable. No one knows.

No one knows the precise "day", but it's been effectively narrowed down to the exact week.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by ParasuvO

I love how this has turned into a christian bashing thread.................

Hang around for a little while.

You'll find that most of them are.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomeByFire
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Nobody knows when Jesus was born, IF he was even born or even real in the first place (not debating, just stating).

You know the term "X-mas?" Well what do you think the 'X' stands for?

Unknown, like a variable. No one knows.

No, the existance of Jesus is agreed upon historical fact. Whether you believe he was Devine or the Son of God is a separate question, but the existance of Jesus by most scholars and historians is almost universal.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes it's wiki, but well cited....this has been researched for hundreds of years.......

Not debating ....just stating........

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Most northern hemisphere (certainly European) cultures have, throughout history (and before history) celebrated the turn of the year on or about the 21st December. The Nordic Yule and Roman Saturnalia are probably best known, and elements of both are included in our modern celebrations.

It's a time for everyone to enjoy themselves at the darkest time of the year, something to look forward to as the nights draw in and weather worsens through autumn.

Even muslims I know like and look forward to Christmas.

If Christians also wish to join in and commemorate the birth of Christ at the same time, what's the problem? They don't have to drink and party, we don't have to attend church and sing carols. And these days, none of us have to sacrifice anyone. Live and let live

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Not to divert off subject here... but isn't the story of "Jesus" taken from "Horus" in Egypt?

And to that matter, isn't every modern religion taken from some previous religion?

If so, then I don't know how we would ever know the exact date of when Jesus was born. But then again I don't think it matters. It is more of the "spirit" of the holiday that matters. Be kind to others, celebrate Christ, etc.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
Not to divert off subject here... but isn't the story of "Jesus" taken from "Horus" in Egypt?

Aye, many of the stories about Jesus have parallels in other, earlier, religions and mythologies.

Doesn't mean that Jesus didn't exist. It doesn't mean that Jesus wasn't the true son of God. Just that many of the stories surrounding him were adapted from earlier stories. As is the way with humans. If a story is good, why discard it? Just change the details and use it again.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Actually, the historicity of Jesus is not agreed upon. Here, for example, is the website Jesus Never Existed, which goes into extremely great depth on unmasking the origins of Christianity, and revealing the lack-of-evidence in support of the Apostles, of Jesus, and of just about everything associated to them. I'm not expecting you to read it all, of course. It's a very large, in-depth, thoroughly cited and sourced research website. One which I've been reading off-and-on for years. But, I just thought you may be open to opposing opinions.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Look, the idea isn't about whether you celebrate Christmas or not because as much as I don't, I still have to also... I'm not saying cancel Christmas, I'm asking how it has be linked with Christianity when firstly it has nothing to do with Jesus and with that, a lot to do with persecuting and belittling Jews?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

If Christians want to add their own aspects to Christmas so that they can celebrate it along with everyone else, what's the problem?

I'm curious as to why you don't celebrate. Do you come from the southern hemisphere? Or just have no interest in thousands of years old traditions?

I assume you don't celebrate the modern New Year either (which is just part of the old solstice celebrations shifted 12 days later)?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Getting out of hand much are we....?

Here is the low down pay attention. First thank you Mod for the warning, no one should bash a delicate subject such as this people tend to get hot under that collar.

Christ is a metaphor for the Sun. The pure light, the lamb of God the "son" of god. This is simple ancient astrotheology

Astrotheology - The Holy Science This knowledge is the basis and origin for all of our Myths, Legends, Fairy Tales, Nursery Rhymes and Folk Lore. It is also the Pure Science developed by the very enlightened, wise and ancient priesthood that give us the Holy Books of all religions. his language was heavily veiled in allegory and symbolism and much of it was deliberately done to keep the higher truths from the masses.

The Bible was intended to be read as celestial (Stellar, Solar, Lunar and Planetary) allegories and poems based on archetypal, universal symbols of deep esoteric truths. Then and only then can it be explained without the need for Interpretation. The Bible is not a book written by God, but a book written about/of God.

Source

Over 4000 years the message has been corrupted it's as if we all played the telephone game, were children sit in a circle and one whispers something into the ear of the kid beside him and that kid whispers the same word or phrase to the next and so on until it comes back full circle and most of the time the original word is something that either doesn't make sense or is just plain silly. Welcome to now.

As for Christmas I got to be honest I love it! The food, the shining lights everywhere, the food, family you haven't seen all year, snow!, sitting by a warm fire with friends drinking bailey's and hot chocolate. rum and eggnogs, and most importantly THE FOOD. I don't think of Christmas time as a religious holiday I could care less about that, what matters to me is the love and kindness people show each other for one week a year leading up to the 25th. Every body has a little more love in their heart that day and I'll take one day out of 365 than none.

That's all I have to say about that.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Look, the idea isn't about whether you celebrate Christmas or not because as much as I don't, I still have to also... I'm not saying cancel Christmas, I'm asking how it has be linked with Christianity when firstly it has nothing to do with Jesus and with that, a lot to do with persecuting and belittling Jews?

I understand what you are getting at but why bring up old wounds? The things you talk about happened many many years ago. The rape and pillage days of old.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I hate how people treat Christmas as a Christian holiday, I hate how politically correct we have got with it. It is a holiday meant to be shared with the family in this modern age. No matter if you believe in god or not anybody can celebrate Christmas.

Yes it has roots in Christianity/Paganism but it is what you make of it. For the average family I assume they can sit around and hand presents out and have a jolly time and have an excuse to go visit family they don't see often, without religion. In fact I know several families that do so.

Sorry to tell you but its now one big holiday based on consumerism if anything. Yes the Baptist church I belong to celebrates the birth of Jesus at this time but it is taught in our church that its not his birthday its just the time we choose to celebrate it based on tradition.

Eh look at me rambling.

TL;DR = Christmas is a holiday, get that stick out of your butt and enjoy.
edit on 3/14/2013 by ashtonhz8907 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Technically christmas wasn't even recognized in america for quite some time.. it's only been a national holiday in most states since the 1800's... prior to that it was a normal work day for most ppl... look it up if you don't believe me but really christmas didn't become a big deal until the victorian age along with halloween. Go figure right? lmao

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent008
I understand what you are getting at but why bring up old wounds? The things you talk about happened many many years ago. The rape and pillage days of old.

Well let me offer you another angle...

There was a story on the internet showing what was two Israeli children dressed in the Twin Towers with planes and fire celebrating a Jewish religious holiday.. Going by your philosophy, we should allow them to disrespect the USA because 9/11 is now an old wound... If they are happy celebrating that religious, they should be allowed to disrespect your country in the meantime. I'm not saying its right, I find it disgusting but again, its an old wound and America should just get over it..

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I am a Christian who celebrates Christmas, its a holiday and most of my family arnt Christian. I celebrate the day with them.
I am not bothered by the tradition, in the world not of it.
As Christians we can accept pagan festivals, doesnt mean we are pagans.
I celebrate Anzac day, doesnt mean I like war.

Dont have a Chrissy tree though
www.orlutheran.com...
Not that I would deny another Christian the right to have a Chrissy tree.
Its just a holiday, we can enjoy it.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by Agent008

Well let me offer you another angle...

There was a story on the internet showing what was two Israeli children dressed in the Twin Towers with planes and fire celebrating a Jewish religious holiday.. Going by your philosophy, we should allow them to disrespect the USA because 9/11 is now an old wound... If they are happy celebrating that religious, they should be allowed to disrespect your country in the meantime. I'm not saying its right, I find it disgusting but again, its an old wound and America should just get over it..

I agree on the get over it part... Okay listen if those children dressed as flaming towers (does the parent dress as building 7..?) are they interfering with your life? You are still free to watch TV go to Mcdonalds, whatever! How do children laughing and playing war games (did you ever play cowboys and Indians? kinda offensive right?) affect YOUR life? Let them play. If one can't see past there ego he is truly blind.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
The heart of Christmas truly is the Solstice and the 'rebirth of the Sun'.

As for barbarism? That is sadly a universal trait that has endured even unto this day.

edit on 17-3-2013 by Arles Morningside because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join