It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need to Replace Slow DSL

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Glad you like the plan... You just need to go high enough to remove any chance of
passing interference.

There are clamps and stuff that come as extras and I would recommend shielded outdoor CAT5, a bit more expensive than ordinary CAT5 but it shields from UV light destroying your cable.

PM me if you need any help!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If you have copper phone lines you might be able to get an ISP to do you a ADSL over that, rather than another installation of a DSL line or fiber.

modern ADSL over copper lines is perfectly fast, the SLA tend not to be quite as good, but they tend to make up for minor issues with extremely good speed and cost.

nothing to stop you having a backup 4G router on a data tariff as backup

edit on 13-3-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
If you have copper phone lines you might be able to get an ISP to do you a ADSL over that, rather than another installation of a DSL line or fiber.

modern ADSL over copper lines is perfectly fast, the SLA tend not to be quite as good, but they tend to make up for minor issues with extremely good speed and cost.

nothing to stop you having a backup 4G router on a data tariff as backup

Sorry. Maybe I'm being thick. We already have ADSL (as in asymmetric:1.5Mb down and 384kb up). Are you referring to SDSL (as in symmetric: 1.5Mb down and 1.5Mb up)? The only SDSL we can get is T1, and that's like $450/month....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Thanks again, rigel4. I've set up a good number of different types of bridges and access points. But I appreciate your offer. As soon as I've had some dinner I'll look into these devices and give the boss a call.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

That's great, wasn’t sure if it was your bag or not.

Good luck

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
okay. I was under the impression that your DSL line would have to be installed as a separate and new line.

I was thinking that any existing lines that the building could have (assuming its not new) may be available to add ADSL on top of standard phone service.

Things get very complicated if you need a PBX on a DSL line as well as fast internet. From what ive seen, unless you need to upload a lot of data all the time, ADSL works fine, however if you do need multiple phones and fast internet over one or more lines, you are going to have to bite the bullet and pay up.

It may be worth contacting local business' around you and see if they would spare a few words for you on their solution. Never hurts to make friends with the local people.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Have you looked into Sonic Fusion? I get around 7.0Mbps down, 1M up, and phone, for around $50. It's ADSL2+.

I changed to that from AT&T, cheaper, faster, and you talk to a real person on the phone, in California.

It does use AT&T outside wiring, so you might still have to deal with them for the switch, but Sonic usually takes care of that.

www.sonic.net...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Oh. I see where you were going now. As it is, we have dedicated lines for fax and DSL; that is, they're separate single lines outside the PBX. Darn. Thought we were onto something there for a minute....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I'll try these guys. Is that digital--over fiber-optic--like U-Verse? I guess it can't hurt to call them in any case. Maybe they can speak the same language as AT&T and Sprint. I still don't understand the part where the rules say we can only have one DSL line at this address, while Sprint, with their tower sitting on our back property, can have 25 DSL lines on OUR address--preventing us from even being allowed to have one installed. Insane....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Thanks to you all. I feel substantially cheered-up now.

Signing off....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

It's not fiber optic, but they are working on it apparently.

Talk to them, their customer support as been, so far, excellent. You talk to a real tech., not just someone with a list of answers to give you.

I don't normally like advertising for companies, but I don't mind sharing a good deal. If we want internet we have to deal with one of them.

AT&T could give you much higher speeds also, but they won't because they want to make max profit.

edit on 3/13/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join