It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia just discovered trillions of dollars worth of oil in outback!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Teikeon

US oil barons and the "entrepreneurs" do buy and lease the land where the shale oil is located the problem is that they do not do much with it.

Something that is either downplayed if good findings are the result of the drilling or either they are not finding anything worth of it when it comes ot oil not gas.
edit on 14-3-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

We most have incredible amounts of oil because US have not problem leasing areas of the gulf and Alaska to BP.

so that tells you how good our natural oil reserves have to be.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It's not so much that they won't do anything with the oil in the shale. You have to understand that it is not as simple as drilling a hole into the ground, as any geologist or engineer would agree. It is a delicate, multifacited endeavor that involves many specialized people and equipment. Gas is, in comparison much easier to get out of the ground than oil is. Just by its very nature gas does a majority of the work once a proper formation has been drilled and the shale has been fracked. There is a limited number of people and equipment in this world that actually know this process from start to finish. Like I said before the most experienced people in the world come from specific areas. Like coal miners many of us are 2nd and third generation oilfield workers. You cannot simply teach someone in a short period of time how do this stuff. My point is, much of the stalling that you insenuate is happening is a result of the complicated logistics of moving the knowledgeable workforce around the world into areas where the local workforce must be trained. It takes years to learn how to take crude oil from a highly pressurized "pocket" that sits two miles or more beneath the ground and bring it top side. There are literally thousands of jobs relating to this field of work and many hundreds are highly specialized, taking lifetimes to master. It is not as simple as the companies involved prefer to sit on the oil and hoard it all for themselves, they are in it for the money and oil doesn't make any money while it's still in the ground.As with any subject in the universe it is just not as simple, or cut and dry, as it seems.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

We most have incredible amounts of oil because US have not problem leasing areas of the gulf and Alaska to BP.

We do.
Here's an idea:
en.wikipedia.org...

In addition, I'm betting we are either sitting on, or close to developing, the realistic means and infrastructure to do large scale commercial production from shale deposits. Once that happens, game over.

edit on 14-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Agreed, and a lot of that has to do with expanding and training the local workforces to do what is common practice in other places. It takes time, but make no mistake that the oil & gas industry is working feverishly to accomplish this INSIDE the US borders.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Awesome - I wonder what reason we'll (U.S.) find to go to war with them, shortly.

Oh, wait... I'm not original?! That's already been said 17 times in this thread (if not more)?! How very telling!
edit on 3/14/2013 by SquirrelNutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I think our plan is to simply buy foreign oil until they go dry, then start pumping the vast reserves we (the US) have in the Dakotas and Alaska, to become the defacto oil producer of the world....
I always had that thought way back in the 70's as a kid when I thought about the gas crisis.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Here comes the fracking and tremors for you guys.

I think they will manage to get the oil

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Teikeon

You want to put America back to work, this is likely the key. This industry could easily put the US back on top in a BIG way, so I have to think some elements are working on this very thing. I have to tell you, the moment I see the initial building blocks...I'm going to make sure I get the right education/certification to get in on that industry.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

You either need an engineering degree, or you need to start working as a roughneck. That is about the only two ways in.

Unless you are interested in being a truck driver. It pays well, too...without all that risk that a roughneck has.

Then there is well servicing and roustabouting.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

You haven't heard about Iran have you?

If you research about Iran's resources, what you'll find is that Iran has natural gas reserves that can last over a century.

Now all of the "Iran is developing nuclear weapons" is all a bit dodgy, eh?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Is 'Merica already preparing its troops.

I can already see it now...

"Australia is developing weapons of mass destruction in her outback.."

Yeah, doesn't quite ring believable does it...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Sounds like its time for US to bring "Democracy" to Australia!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Checked on the wind speed thing, alas, not enough wind in my area...

Oh well...

It's funny, paid for all this college, got my MBA, but I'd make far more money being a truck driver... My wife would never stand for it though...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I once walked away from a job for another position with higher "rank", but paying less than half my wage.

I currently earn about 1/2 of what others who do what i do earn. I chose to eschew college and just use old fashion hard work to climb the ladder. I am outearned by a majority of my community (we are mostly "oilfield trash" out this way, with huge roughneck salaries paid to young twenty somethings driving monster dually's). But I am not doing what I do for love of money.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tecunuman911

Geez folks....it isn't like the lame line isn't getting old by now.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I don't think it is.

"There are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq"

There weren't.

Now, Iran's apparently creating problems. Iran also incidentally has massive natural reserves that can last over a century.

Now, Australia's just found lots of resources. I'm sure some Australian warship will accidentally fire upon an American vessel, prompting a punitive expedition.
Or maybe North Korean militia will *secretly* invade Australia and the United States will have to invade the country to *help out* their allies

'Merica will save the world! Yippee for the World Police!

Democracy everywhere!

(Personally, I think the likes of China are doing just well without democracy - none of that party politics crap and they have ample time [a decade] to implement policies and make them work. Democracy is not necessarily the best policy everywhere.)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens

I don't think it is.

"There are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq"

There weren't.

Now, Iran's apparently creating problems. Iran also incidentally has massive natural reserves that can last over a century.

Now, Australia's just found lots of resources. I'm sure some Australian warship will accidentally fire upon an American vessel, prompting a punitive expedition.
Or maybe North Korean militia will *secretly* invade Australia and the United States will have to invade the country to *help out* their allies

'Merica will save the world! Yippee for the World Police!

Democracy everywhere!

(Personally, I think the likes of China are doing just well without democracy - none of that party politics crap and they have ample time [a decade] to implement policies and make them work. Democracy is not necessarily the best policy everywhere.)

You show such a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work, I am unsure I can help explain.

Iraq and Iran are not Australia. Australia has not waged war on the petrodollar. Australia is firmly in the camp of nations that employ a Reserve Banking system. Australia is in the little global mafia that is headed by the United States, and enforced by NATO. Unless Australia does something to endanger their position within this global mafia (where they are currently akin to a "Captain"), there is no reason to go to war.

It is just lame use of common political cliche. And if you read any of the thread, you are the thousandth person to say, essentially, the same thing.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

It's a stereotypical joke really - we don't mean anything essentially serious by it.

Also, about the petrodollar - apparently, Ghaddafi also endorsed using a different reserve currency. He's gone now.

I believe Ahmadinejad is also espousing it too. Damn 'Merica!

What about China?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Yeah Australia! Bring on the jobs!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join