It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Vintage Vulcan Bomber For Sale On eBay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Have a nuclear weapon you need delivered? Have a hankering for a bomber with intercontinental range? eBay may have a solution for you.

story.news.yahoo.com
LONDON (AFP) - A British plane enthusiast has put his vintage nuclear bomber up for sale on the Internet auction site eBay.

"Vulcan bomber XL391 (Complete with engines.) Your chance to own a piece of aviation history," reads the advertisement posted by flying instructor Brian Bateson.

As the plane weighs 40 tonnes and has a wingspan of 100 feet (30 metres), it also points out: "As is, where is. Buyer collects!"

Bateson, who had placed it at the entrance to Blackpool Airport in northwest England for visitors to admire, decided to sell the plane so the airport could expand.

The reserve bid of 6,000 pounds (8,600 euros, 11,000 dollars) was "not dissimilar" to what he paid for it in 1983, Bateson said Monday.

"There's no way it would fit in my hangars and I just hope it goes to a good home," he said. "People in the past have asked to buy bits and pieces of it for spares or memorabilia but I hope it stays in one piece."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A British Vulcan Bomber #XL391 has been put up for auction. Included is the engines, however, the buyer must collect the plane themselves. The bid reserve is only $11,000 dollars. This particular plane was based at on Ascension Island in the South Atlantic, but did not see frontline service in the Falkland Island war. It is unclear if the plane is in flying condition. On a personal note, this reporter has already asked his wife and was met with a resound �NO!�

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Too bad about your wife not appreciating the fun of owning your very own Vulcan bomber.

I really hope this fantastic piece of kit gets a good home and stays in one piece.

If you ask me, the RAF should buy it back and use it operationally. Now that would be good.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well if it is not working, I sure as hell would not want to pay the shipping for it.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I notice from the last mass U2U there were 3770 active members in the last month. What say we all chip in �5.00/$7 each and get ourselves an ATS Vulcan,with the leftover money to cover postage and packing or a pilot and a bit of fuel. It'd be quite a good promotional tool I would imagine!

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Irma I like the idea. We can use it to drop Deny Ignorance flyers. We can someday have an ATS Air Corps. Yes! Muahahha.....

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen
Too bad about your wife not appreciating the fun of owning your very own Vulcan bomber.

yes there was a threat of severe domestic consequences involved
I agree I hope that someone buys it with the intent of keeping it intact. Like Pima Air Museum or something. Its a great plane and it would be a shame to be broken up for trinkets.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
On Ebay it says:

AIRCRAFT DE-COMMISSIONED BY R.A.F. NO ARMAMENTS. WILL NOT FLY.

Link

What a shame. Maybe some rich someone can buy it and restore it...and they would have to be rich; the plane is now well above the reserve of �6000 now.

It currently stands at �75,702 and 2 pence!

EDIT: WOW. The price now stands at an amazing �1,000,203.03!

[edit on 1/11/04 by Hyperen]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Wow, I wish I had the money to buy that. I'm suprised the plane isn't selling for a higher price. I love the idea of the ATS air corp, I'd voulenteer any day. Reminds me of this story I heard were some kid took his girlfriends ebay account and purchased an actual Huey Cobra attack helicopter.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
eBay

it's just over �6,000,000 now....

my g/f said "maybe for x-mas... after hell freezes over"

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
While its listed as not flyable, it does come with engines. If the wings have not been cut, it may be flyable again if money is no object. Most of the SR-71's / A-12's that are in muesums had thier wings cut for transport.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The price has now gone down to just �10,200 because the really high bids were said to be bogus. The poor seller must be disappointed.

For a few days, they may have thought they were going to be a millionaire.

[edit on 3/11/04 by Hyperen]

new topics

top topics

join