It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SimCity (2013) - Does anybody want to start an ATS region with me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hey everyone,

Despite the terrible SimCity launch, it's actually pretty enjoyable once it started working for the most part. I was thinking that some of my fellow ATS'rs might be interested in starting an exclusive ATS region in game with me. We could create our region on one of the 16 city maps, and if there is enough interest we could create more!

I'm playing on the North America 3 server, but can switch if needed.

If you are interested please reply here or add me on Origin: the-real-hombero

Hope to see some of you in game

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Well, I tell you what might help would be a quick run down/review for people. I'm one of those waiting and seeing for more information but could certainly be convinced to buy a copy if there is enough good to go with the preview/demo video of the game itself?

I think playing something like that with others on here could be real fun, actually.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hombero

If enough people join in...I may consider opening an ATS bakery in your city....

Des

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hombero

Man I think that would be fun, a community game that would be focused around ATS. I would love to join, but the last sim city game I played was Sim City 3000 I think. Fantastic game, loved the heck out of it. Unfortunately, Sim City 4 was too much for me and I didn't like it.

Too bad I don't have the new one though or I would deeply consider it.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I don't know about Sim City.

Will that get in the way of Planetside 2?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hombero

I would love to check it out, but I am currently using an Nvidia 9500GT, which worked great when I played WOW and Starwars Knights, but I did a test on it's compatibility with the new Sims and it is below the requirement to run the game.

Can't keep up with the PC games anymore, so sticking with my PS3.....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by hombero
Hey everyone,

Despite the terrible SimCity launch, it's actually pretty enjoyable once it started working for the most part. I was thinking that some of my fellow ATS'rs might be interested in starting an exclusive ATS region in game with me. We could create our region on one of the 16 city maps, and if there is enough interest we could create more!

I'm playing on the North America 3 server, but can switch if needed.

If you are interested please reply here or add me on Origin: the-real-hombero

Hope to see some of you in game

I was in on the DEMO beta and until they fix a LOT of things I am going to pass and not buy the game. And you just confirmed my suspicions that the launch sucked!

I love SimCity but that Beta left me cold...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Oh no! I was about to buy it... how bad are the problems?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

They were really bad the first few days, the demand was so high if you managed to log into the game you were lucky, and managing to play the game was seemingly a pipe dream.. Lots of people lost their cities during those first couple days as well.

It seems pretty stable now (though I can only speak for the NA East 3 server), I've managed to get on and play the game without much trouble yesterday and today.. Definitely still bugs, and I can no longer load the first city I created ("Cannot load city at this time"), bummer.

EA has said they are going to email details on Monday the 18th regarding a free game for those that experienced the troubles at launch, but that remains to be seen!

They seem to be fixing the problems fairly quickly but there are still features that remain disabled, i.e:

1. Cities not trading properly to the region they are in
  2. Leaderboards and other community features disabled
  3. 'Join Game' feature listing only games with full regions (kind of silly to list regions with no empty spot for you to play in!)
  4. Cheetah speed disabled to (apparently) reduce stress on the servers
  5. etc..

In all honesty, if you haven't bought the game yet I really wouldn't recommend getting it until they have these problems completely ironed out.

Was hoping maybe some other early adopters had already got it and were trying to find regions to play in

edit on 13-3-2013 by hombero because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2013 by hombero because: typo

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hombero

Here is why I waited...Because I didn't want to wait to play a game...

I admit it was ambitious but they failed. I was actually so JACKED about this coming out SimCity Societies ruined it! So I could see so much potential but then I played the Demo/Beta it was pretty and a bit fun for the HOUR I finally got to play while sitting at my freaking computer for nearly 3 waiting to PLAY!

1. Small lot size (just one size am I correct?)
2. Server DRM
3. Server for play (can you do a game not logged in?) That to me was a real deal breaker.
4. If above is true I have a worthless game if they decide to shut the servers down in a few years!

People should not accept this, it does not prevent piracy it only alienates your loyal fans! When you get sick of not being able to play a $60 game you will Sign the petition! Put an end to this nonsense! I expect an occasional glitch when playing online but to always be tethered I like to play at a cabin with no Nets then what???

Game Company Suits learned nothing from DIABLO(W)3! And now doing some google noodling there are a lot of unhappy SimCity'ers. I am glad they didn't pull this crap with THE SIMS 3!

hombero, I want to say this so I don't sound like such a debbie downer! If I could play the game alone and co-op I would happily join you and anyone else at ATS! Maybe I will go buy the new Tomb Raider...

And now after Reading This about the Return Policy! I kinda hope the game Tanks...I love MAXIS but I HATE EA!

edit on 13-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I was looking forward to this release, and a little bummed out about it.

I hope they get 5 to work better, and increase the map size, then I'll look at it. I wish they had just updated 4 with better graphics. 5 is too much of a change imo.

I like the idea of an ATS region though.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
DRM, is a big problem in my book.. Having to be online to build a city is not cool. I played sim city back in the day, when it was well, Just a game called sim city, where you built a city, the cool feature about sim city was being able to print your city out on paper...

This new one with a launch like this one, and gimped features in order to make it playable is a failed launch.. EA, is LOSING money, and will continue to lose money because people will remember how horrible this launch was. The reason the game broke, was because EA, wanted to fight piracy, by using a technology that we have not mastered yet in order to try to make more MONEY...

FAILED horribly.

So the millions they hoped for, they will not make, they are giving away games and the price is going to have to be dropped to get consumers to take risks on this game in the future..

I might buy when it is reduced in price, having to be tethered to the internet to play is not my kinda city building game...

sim city 4 is still a pretty damn good city builder..

I personally enjoy the anno games, the game developer is not well known and it is an enjoyable city builder...

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Just to point out someone has made a mod which makes the game playable without having to be online.
I refuse to buy any game now that requires online 100% of the time to play.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Just as an update:

EA/Maxis did come through with their free game apology, I got this email on Monday:

Our SimCity Mayors are incredibly important to the team at Maxis. We know we messed up and want to sincerely thank you for staying with us. The good news is we have solved most of the major issues and players are really enjoying the game. We're getting great feedback from our fans and know that many of you are having fun and are exploring this whole new expression of SimCity. As a small token of our appreciation, we are offering you a free EA PC game download on Origin*. Mayors who have authenticated their copy of SimCity on Origin by March 25 can select a free game through a redemption portal inside the Origin desktop client later this week. We'll be opening up the redemption portal country-by-country so some of you may see it a little sooner than others. The portal will be live worldwide for everyone to select their game by March 22. We don't want any of you to miss out your free game, so please note that you must register your copy of SimCity before March 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM PST and you must claim your free game by March 30, 2013 at 11:59PM PST. For more information, including instructions on how to get your free game and a list of eligible games, please read our FAQ. We've included some of the hottest games in the EA portfolio, so pick one and add it to your Origin library on us! Sincerely, Maxis

The game free choices are:

Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Standard Edition)
Need For Speed Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

source

Also, it seems the axe of justice(injustice?) has fallen swiftly at EA headquarters, the CEO is stepping down. source
edit on 20-3-2013 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
When I can play this game offline, save locally, and do not have to live with the concern that should their servers ever go down for any reason I cannot play it, I will gladly play SimCity like I have all the Sim City games previous to it. Until then... I hope everyone else has fun with it
... but it's not for me.

Peace.

top topics

join