It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6,000 Dead Pigs in River Not Affecting Shanghai's Water, Officials Insist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

6,000 Dead Pigs in River Not Affecting Shanghai, Officials Insist

abcnews.go.com

Shanghai authorities are trying to assure people of China's largest city that their drinking water is safe despite finding nearly 6,000 dead pigs in the river that provides water to the city's taps.

Shanghai residents were further unnerved when health officials determined that the pigs were infected with a disease known as porcine circovirus, but health officials insisted that it does not affect humans.

The pig bodies were found in the Huangpu River about 40 miles north of Shanghai's 23 millioShanghai authorities used tags on the pigs' ears to trace them to the city of Jiaxing in Zhe
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bloomberg.com

edit on 3/13/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: changed title to reflect actual headline

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Safe to drink? Really?? Well... alrighty then.

Just when I thought things couldn't possibly get any stranger. At least it's not one of those mysterious animal die off cases - they know where the pigs came from. Heads are gonna roll on this one. Literally. Just thought I'd share.

Oh, by the way... there's a new Pope as well.

ETA: Global Swine Zombie Apocalypse vis-à-vis Porcine Circovirus? Stay tuned...

abcnews.go.com

edit on 3/13/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: edit to add

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Oh, by the way... there's a new Pope as well.

abcnews.go.com

edit on 3/13/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: edit to add

Man that was fast, huh?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Lol, really, not contaminated, lol. Ever hear the old saying: "Don't pee in my cornflakes and call it milk". How stupid can governments be?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

Q: "How stupid can governments be?"
A: Pretty damned stupid.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
6000 dead pigs and a new pope..Only a matter of time before theres jokes about that scenario!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Hey.. I have a question... If Islam forbids the consumption of pork and the entire water supply has had pigs decaying in it...well...Where does that leave a Muslim for drinking from that water source? Isn't it almost hopelessly contaminated?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Everyone knows that drinking rotting flesh in your water is harmless.

What could possibly go wrong?

The unfortunate thing is many people will believe it and drink the water and most likely die from disease. All because their Gov. said it was safe.

Kind of reminding me of Flouride.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46
6000 dead pigs and a new pope..Only a matter of time before theres jokes about that scenario!

Neither of those events can ever happen in a Muslim country.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This sounds like a man's dream gone nightmare. Pork broth in the taps, but it's potentially deadly!!!

Had to make a crack, I seem to have a weird sense of humor the last few days on ATS.

This does not sound good at all, perhaps China's health administration is trying to quell hysteria. How did the pigs end up in the river to begin with? 6000 pigs infected with a virus got dumped in the river? Isn't this old school biological warfare? Didn't a roman employ a similar tactic when he lay siege on a town during the roman empire?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
To think, I've been weary of the water upstream(deer piss in the water) when I filter and purify it for my campsite all these years. 6,000 dead rotting pigs in the water and all is well... Really? Never listen to your govt.

This is just ridiculous....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

This sounds like a man's dream gone nightmare. Pork broth in the taps, but it's potentially deadly!!!

I'd prefer BBQ sauce and beer to come out of my taps.. Both go great with pork...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Hijinx

I'd prefer BBQ sauce and beer to come out of my taps.. Both go great with pork...

Pork chops, marinated in beer and BBQ sauce

Grill em, with a little more BBQ sauce when they are almost done. Serve, DROOOOOOOOOOL!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
To think, I've been weary of the water upstream(deer piss in the water) when I filter and purify it for my campsite all these years. 6,000 dead rotting pigs in the water and all is well... Really? Never listen to your govt.

This is just ridiculous....

Hey, being weary is always a good thing. It never hurts to take a walk a a little ways up stream before you go back down stream to grab your water. I've actually almost taken water from a stream that had a nice big bear crap right on the edge of it. Was nice to find out before I grabbed my drinking water, as well it was nice to know there was a beefy bear in the area I was camping.

I am really puzzled by this statement. I haven't looked up the disease the pigs had yet, but that alone would concern me. Either my family getting ill, or any of my pets or own live stock getting the disease as well. 6000 pigs in the river had it, my pigs, cows, chickens, dogs, or cats could get it too(speaking as a theoretical resident of the area).

Not to mention, carrion in water is incredibly dangerous. It leads way for all sorts of bacteria you do not want to be consuming in your water.

Porcine Virus

I'm just reading about this now, the one that infects swine seems to be PV2, which effects the lymph nodes and lung tissues, eventually leading to compromised immune systems and secondary infection.

I haven't seen anything about it being a threat to humans, but it is certainly detrimental for live stock. How ever, it is commonly found in conjuction with ParvoVirus.

Parvo Virus

Still doing more reading on this one too. Which does have strains that can affect humans. I will read more before I blow any smoke about this one.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

2 more hours until dinner. Guess I'm heading to Famous Dave's tonight.. Never thought a thread about 6,000 rotting and infested hogs would make me so hungry!

If you're ever in Kansas City and happen to visit a classic BBQ joint (Jack Stack BBQ), be sure to order up a plate of Burnt Ends. it will change your life.

Cheers!

They Ship
www.jackstackbbq.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

A 23 million person start to the Zombie Apocalypse we all know is coming.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

A 23 million person start to the Zombie Apocalypse we all know is coming.

1 3rd of the world's population lives in china. Wouldn't take long if something like that broke out there.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Number of pigs in Shanghai river rises to 8,354

The number of dead pigs found in a Shanghai river that provides drinking water to the Chinese financial hub has risen to 8,354, after local authorities pulled 809 more pigs out of the river on Friday.

Their govt. is still saying the water is safe to drink. Wow!

The dead pigs are believed to be from hog farms in the upstream Jiaxing area in neighboring Zhejiang province. A surge in pig dumping has followed police campaigns against the sale of pork products made from diseased pigs.

Chinese state media say one Jiaxing hog farmer has admitted to pig dumping and is under investigation

hosted.ap.org...

Why dump them in the river? Dig a massive pit, toss the carcasses in and cover them lime and bury them...

Why not incinerate them? I think the people would rather smell burnt pork than have these rotting hogs dumped into their drinking supply.

Tough to get my head around this issue.

top topics

join