It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CANADA - Doctors Allowed to Give Medical Files to Private Firms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Doctors allowed to give medical files to private firms

www.cbc.ca...

Doctors are obliged to ensure patients can access their history, but there's no law against giving files to a private firm, says the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons.

And that means doctors have little say over how much private companies charge patients for medical records.

A Thunder Bay woman learned that lesson the hard way after she was asked to pay $600 dollars to access her files after her family doctor closed his practice.

"A private company that's storing health files on behalf of a professional are acting as the agent of the health professional," he said. "[It] would be bound by the same rules in terms of what they can charge."

$600 for personal medical records shocks patient

www.cbc.ca...

To get her health records, Wendy Doran had to call a private medical registry that now holds her file. When she says she was told there would be a fee of more than $600 to access them, she couldn't believe it.

“I couldn't believe I would have to pay for my own medical records. [I] can't afford something like that.

The president of RSRS, the company that holds the records, said the company wants to ensure all patients can access their records. He added the company has never withheld medical records from a patient because of his or her ability to pay.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think this is crazy. If a doctor is keeping your medical records on file....shouldn't you also get a photocopy of all the doctor's notes and lab reports, as well as any other reports (free of charge)?

I mean, here we pay for medicare and whatnot so we can get swift access to health care. Our taxes go towards funding public care. That being said, we should be entitled to photocopy our medical records shouldn't we????

But paying a few hundred dollars for records is a little insane don't you think?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure whats up with her, but i have access to my medical file from my family doctor at any time. She has the information on me since i was 7 yrs old.

It is possible she does not have a family doctor.
edit on 3/13/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I fired my family doctor a long time ago over an ICBC incident. I use walk-in now..those doctors are awesome!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

But do they have quick access to your file?

My family doctor, well used to be good, now just average, i guess the age is taking a toll on her, she is like 63.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

But do they have quick access to your file?

My family doctor, well used to be good, now just average, i guess the age is taking a toll on her, she is like 63.

63 yrs....not much longer to live...better start investing in a new doctor before she croaks!

new topics

top topics

join