It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can someone help with my sound?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
likely issue:

thin cable that goes from the front ports of the case (if you are using front ports of course) to the motherboard has come loose.
blown/damaged/etc sound chip on the mobo
problem with the jacks either headphone/speaker end or on the mobo

wont be drivers since you lost the sound before you reformated -> although that could be a new issue now.

If you dont really care about the quality of the sound, ie, casual user, you could just order a USB sound card for a few £/$ and be done with it

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think someone mentioned this already. When the PC fell to the floor did the speaker plug come out? If it did and you had to re-plug the speakers, make sure you're in the correct socket and not the "Microphone" socket....

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
likely issue:

thin cable that goes from the front ports of the case (if you are using front ports of course) to the motherboard has come loose.
blown/damaged/etc sound chip on the mobo
problem with the jacks either headphone/speaker end or on the mobo

wont be drivers since you lost the sound before you reformated -> although that could be a new issue now.

If you dont really care about the quality of the sound, ie, casual user, you could just order a USB sound card for a few £/$ and be done with it

radio shack? That might be my best option

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Okay..... Now back to what I'd said before to confirm something before moving on. Play a song or some other sound that will run for enough time to look at your Playback window and verify you are seeing the green signal strength of the volume registering sound from it. (The gauge on the right of the Speaker icon)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
To skip ahead.. assuming the signal meter shows sound as it should... then that should indicate your SYSTEM is handling sound find and it's running through everything it's needing to run through on the computer side. Check volume real quick to make sure it's not something real simple like that (never hurts..right?)

That should be quick to get to by clicking on the speaker icon in your tray area (Lower right corner of the windows screen by the clock). Clicking the speaker should bring up a volume slider...just make sure it's maxed and wasn't down low to begin with. (I'm sure it wasn't....any volume control anywhere on the system changes that)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

the green is showing on the meter.. and sound is not muted

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Next question... On the back of your desktop ...You have a green covered plug from your speakers into a green colored female plug on the computer right? Here is the question....

On the back, you should have a tight cluster of plugs, holes and other things in the top area. That's where your Motherboard (built-in) stuff is located. Lower down, you have a series of horizontal openings or panels that run to the bottom of the rear of the case. Anywhere from a few to over a half dozen...sound right?

Is your green speaker plug plugged into a green plug in that top cluster....or down lower in a line of plugs along one of those horizontal openings? (Expansion slots, is what those are)

What we're confirming is whether you have internal AND external sound or just one..and which the speakers are plugged into.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

If you do have to take the plunge and buy another sound card then check out Newegg or the like.
Sound Cards New Egg

It doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg to fix your machine and installing a sound card isn't hard to do.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If you are using windows 7, the stupid thing will tend to NOT even notice you plug in the jack.. yes dumb i know.. but some points others have pointed out... and sorry i did not read everything just afew

If you have formatted the pc, You will prob have a ON bored sound card built in.. unless you have one in the PCI slot.. so check the BIOS to make sure of this.. or you may get conflicts.. on what sound device is loaded up first.. also works with graphics.. if you are a gamer.. you never buy a pc with on board graphics..
.. anyways.. back to the issue..

Check the bios..
Check drivers.. As you stated you formatted.. windows will find some crap ones.. if not.. well you have the PCI loaded first... or NO on bored sound..

Then check cables.. mic ect.. "front case" may also need DRIVERS for the motherboard as they tend to use the same drivers as the usb ports.. "driver utility disc"

if not then just buy a new sound card.. they are pretty easy to install..

And breaking news.. NEW POPE.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Next question... On the back of your desktop ...You have a green covered plug from your speakers into a green colored female plug on the computer right? Here is the question....

On the back, you should have a tight cluster of plugs, holes and other things in the top area. That's where your Motherboard (built-in) stuff is located. Lower down, you have a series of horizontal openings or panels that run to the bottom of the rear of the case. Anywhere from a few to over a half dozen...sound right?

Is your green speaker plug plugged into a green plug in that top cluster....or down lower in a line of plugs along one of those horizontal openings? (Expansion slots, is what those are)

What we're confirming is whether you have internal AND external sound or just one..and which the speakers are plugged into.

my speaker plug is grey and its plugged into a grey plug in the top cluster ..

the top cluster has 6 holes all different colors and my speaker is plugged into the bottom right grey one
edit on 13-3-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Have you installed the mother bored drivers?

Try control panel / system make sure everything has drivers.. If it saying its working "prob does" You may have 3 basic ones at the back its using..

try them, if that fails.. its loading up the one that needs drivers.. normally.

Drivers - very important

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
So it looks like this?

and the line you have from your speakers ....you only have one? ... is going into the gray one. The colors and symbols look the same, otherwise?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
various advice...

i've seen people with this problem and it is often fixed by checking every 'media player' you have on your comuter to make sure they are not left muted or with the volume turned down,
one media player will affect the others.

if there is a 'volume control' in start/ accesories, crank those levels up.

whenever you can, try right clicking stuff to find acsess to properties, you find intresting stuff hidden away.

also, use a flashlight to better read where you are pluging into.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

yes but its like this if it matters

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I found this as a quick reference to save the typing. It's correct in explaining what those are.

Most sound cards, or built-in motherboard sound chips, have color coded jack plug sockets. Here is a general list of what each one is for:
Pink = Microphone In (mono)
Blue = Line-In (stereo)
Green = Line-Out / Front Speakers / Headphones
Orange = Center Speaker and Subwoofer
Black = Rear Surround Speakers (5.1, 7.1 systems)
Grey = Mid Surround Speakers (7.1 systems)

Not all sound cards have all of the jacks shown above. Additional jacks are provided to connect surround sound speakers. Also note that colors may vary between different sound card manufacturers. For example, M-Audio sometimes use Black for Microphone connection and Pink for 7.1 Rear Surround. If in doubt you should refer to your sound card user manual or manufacturers web site.
Source

That site isn't a source I run to for learning new things, but it's what I would have typed anyway and it saved the effort.

If your speakers have only one plug to put in the back of the computer. Move it to the green "General Line-Out" plug. Grey is going to put out for surround sound configurations but the computer needs to know that too and be putting out in surround sound for the plug to carry anything. You'd never want to use just one in the middle of the surround sound set though. The sound left would be...odd.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

oh hey just a simple tip..

Run windows update!!

It may not find every driver you need.. but it will tend to find most things you have.. if not try find the install utility disc..

Model number is on the mother bored if the case is open.. easy to find.. or just look up who made it / and or go into system...

Its always important to understand windows is controlled by the BIOS, with them drivers windows will tell you all kinda lies or wont even notice what you have sometimes.. then OMG I FOUND SOMETHING!!..

hehe computers are not people they need love and care!!

But when you format you will tend to kill basic things.. one is USB .. and the other is NETWORK stuff... as you always need silly drivers for bios.. if the sound is not working and the pc / windows says it is.. that is because windows found generic drivers for the hardware.. so it may be at the back its loading up as i stated be for.. most pc's will have 2 loads of audio unless specified "aka dell" or something...

and also as i said the BIOS will control what windows will load up.. "see" not windows it's self.. so be sure to check that...

Most important.

Blue screens of death are always memory related.. thats another tip.. and black screen tends to be overheating.

yes im a pc nerd gamer lols had my fair share!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join