can someone help with my sound?

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
HI

A while back my cat jumped on my desk and knocked off my pc, and I have not had sound since..

I have tried reformating, and thats about all I know how to do lol...

Does anyone have any ideas what I should try?




posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Laptop, desktop, PC or Mac?



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
Laptop, desktop, PC or Mac?


desktop



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111
 


1) All the wires are connected properly?

2) Update Audio Drivers?

3) Is Audio not muted? or lowered? Is it enabled in the sound option?

4) Are you talking about default sound from monitor?

5) HDMI cable for Video/Audio?



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Is it a laptop or desktop?
If it's a desktop is the sound chip built in to the motherboard or do you have a separate sound card plugged into the motherboard? If it's a separate card then you probably loosened the connection to the board when it hit the ground. If so you will have to open it up and reset the card.

Also which operating system are you using?



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Take the wires out and put them back in. Cat probably just loosened the stereo wires when jumping on it.



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
is it an integrated sound card, as in built into the mother board. If not, your cat may have jarred the soundcard loose when it knocked it off. You can also check to make sure the volume isn't muted.



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The sound card (if you have a dedicated one; i.e. not an onboard one in your mother board) might've gotten knocked loose, or unplugged. That's easy enough to fix. Just turn off the power, unplug it and hit the power switch for the power supply.

Open the box up (ground yourself before you touch anything by touching something metal, like the power supply), and check that the sound card is seated properly.

Before you do that, you might want to just make sure your speakers are plugged in! xD



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive
 


its a hp amd athlon(tm) IIx4630 processor 2.9-ghz


64 bit os



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
In Windows, go to the Start Menu (Lower Left), then Control Panel or Settings and then Control Panel, depending on which windows version.

From the control panel, if it's a list of headings with a few subheadings under each for that screen? Select "Hardware and Sound". If control panel brings up Icons, it's simply "Sound" you want.

If from headings, "Manage Sound Devices" next...if from Icons, then the right window opens from the Sound Icon.

First tab area of what comes up is "Playback". There will be multiple devices listed there. Some don't even matter....but at least ONE should have a green check mark over the Icon's lower right corner. That denotes the default device and what your sound automatically goes to.

If none are checked green..there is your problem and you'll need to explore the other tabs (Like "Sounds") where you can test the sound choice to make sure you DO hear something. Change default in the Playback screen to test again under "Sounds" until you hear what you're testing.

Falling may also have knocked something loose...but this is the easy way to start, anyway.

edit on 13-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
is it an integrated sound card, as in built into the mother board. If not, your cat may have jarred the soundcard loose when it knocked it off. You can also check to make sure the volume isn't muted.


I dont know lol.. bUt I have never had to install a sound card



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
If you have a recent windows operation system then open up 'Start' and where it says "Search programs and files" type in 'Device Manager' and enter.

Check if your 'sound video and game controller' section has any errors. Similar to this icon


*'Start' is sometimes just a windows icon in the lower left of the screen.
edit on 13-3-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Make sure your speakers are plugged in, turned off "MUTE"...and that you havent muted the compputer sound (different form speakers).

And turn your volumes up...ie: computer, the speakers and the player(s). (3 of them)



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
If you have a recent windows operation system then open up 'Start' and where it says "Search programs and files" type in 'Device Manager' and enter.

Check if your 'sound video and game controller' section has any errors. Similar to this icon


*'Start' is sometimes just a windows icon in the lower left of the screen.
edit on 13-3-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)


it says device is working properly ..I say bs lol



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
In Windows, go to the Start Menu (Lower Left), then Control Panel or Settings and then Control Panel, depending on which windows version.

From the control panel, if it's a list of headings with a few subheadings under each for that screen? Select "Hardware and Sound". If control panel brings up Icons, it's simply "Sound" you want.

If from headings, "Manage Sound Devices" next...if from Icons, then the right window opens from the Sound Icon.

First tab area of what comes up is "Playback". There will be multiple devices listed there. Some don't even matter....but at least ONE should have a green check mark over the Icon's lower right corner. That denotes the default device and what your sound automatically goes to.

If none are checked green..there is your problem and you'll need to explore the other tabs (Like "Sounds") where you can test the sound choice to make sure you DO hear something. Change default in the Playback screen to test again under "Sounds" until you hear what you're testing.

Falling may also have knocked something loose...but this is the easy way to start, anyway.

edit on 13-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)


green check mark on my speakers



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111
 

Okay, do you hear the sound when you go to the "Sounds" tab and click test, or is test even lit up to click?

* I just confirmed this on my system to insure it works and it does.

With the Playback window open and the scale on the right side showing volume of sounds currently being run, play a song in the background. You SHOULD see the green bars rise on the scale to the right of the checked Speaker option as the song plays out. This at least confirms the sound is playing through the computer itself properly..whether you can hear them on external speakers or not.

If that does NOT show the green indicator of activity while playing something.....there isn't much sense going further until it does. Nothing can reach the speakers if not going through there.

edit on 13-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by goou111
 

Okay, do you hear the sound when you go to the "Sounds" tab and click test, or is test even lit up to click?



not lit up to click



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111
 

Hmm.. No biggy on the dark button. Under Sounds, make sure you have a sound scheme chosen in the top drop down, and then make sure you have a sound picked in the lower box. (Mine defaults to one with a sound assigned...your may not) "Default Beep" is a safe one to have an assigned sound.

Your test button should light up with that selected...then see if it sounds.

edit on 13-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You may still have to open the case up. Where you plug your speaker in at the back of the PC may have broken loose at it's solder connection when it hit the floor.

Open it up, follow hushabye opening instructions,


Open the box up (ground yourself before you touch anything by touching something metal, like the power supply), and check that the sound card is seated properly.

always make sure the pc power is unplugged and look for loose wires and broken solder points.
edit on 13-3-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000
 


I got it to light up but still no sound when I hit test






top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join