It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 shot dead in Herkimer NY

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

4 shot dead in Herkimer NY

www.usatoday.com

State police tell local media outlets two unidentified people were shot and killed Wednesday morning at a car wash in the village of Herkimer and two others were killed in a barber shop in the village of Mohawk, about 65 miles east of Syracuse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.littlefallstimes.com...

edit on 13-3-2013 by paratus because: new link

"The suspect reportedly used a long gun for the shootings. He had not been apprehended as of 10:45 a.m.

Firefighters also battled a structure fire at an apartment building at 32 S. Washington St. in Mohawk that is connected to the shootings, police said. The fire began sometime around 9:30 a.m. and was reported out shortly before 11 a.m. Officials said it began in the rear of the building, but the cause is still under investigation."
edit on 13-3-2013 by paratus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
50- to 60-year-old slender white male, about 5-foot-11, with white hair and a white beard, last seen wearing a flannel shirt.

Here we go again, hopefully no more deaths will occur.

2 separate shootings in at least 2 different locations.
A car wash and a barber shop.

Manhunt underway and schools and colleges on lockdown

At least 2 more wounded.

more to follow as it develops.

I thought NY just enacted a new gun control measure?

I see that is is working well if so...

www.usatoday.com

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by paratus

I thought NY just enacted a new gun control measure?

I see that is is working well if so...

www.usatoday.com

This is why more gun laws are not the answer, criminals do not obey existing laws so what are new laws going to do? Murder is already illegal, yet you have people being murdered every day. Will adding more laws that make murder even more illegal stop people from murdering? Nope it won't.

ETA:

"The suspect reportedly used a long gun for the shootings. He had not been apprehended as of 10:45 a.m. "

Don't like where they are going with that already. I'm going to take a guess and say that this "long gun" will later be reported as some form of "assault" weapon even if it isn't.

edit on 3/13/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
With many counties refusing in writing to support NY's new gun grabbing laws, something like this was "needed". There's an agenda to maintain here. I'm betting this guy is either using an AR-15/equivalent or one will be found in his car.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

You're absolutely right. If I go off my rocker, do THEY think I'm going to care if my gun is registered or not / mine or not? I wouldn't give a rats tookis. This has been mentioned time and again. The gun is not the problem, the psychopaths are.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
He must be one heck of a shot, since you can only have 5 round mags he must have had a double wound/kill.

6 impacts and only 5 bullets.

I'm sure it will be all over the news regarding an AR15, black rifle, assault weapon, etc.

ETA:

Unless it was a shotgun...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm just wondering...but how is this notable for Breaking News?

The United States has, for decades and on average, sustained 20-30 gun related deaths per day, every day. Holidays and Christmas included. That's held now for over 20 years on the average numbers (which is why I leave the 10 body spread...it varies but within that range for the 20-25+ year period)

So.. If every garden variety shooting is going to make breaking news...they better have a whole new forum just for shootings. It could be running a dozen or more messages of entirely new incidents every single day.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by paratus

Shotgun???

Has anyone seen Joe Biden today??

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by paratus

Shotgun???

Has anyone seen Joe Biden today??

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Wow, I work in these communities. Mohawk, in particular is a poorer community. There isn't much for work between Albany and Syracuse. You do hear about "petty crimes," but not murders and setting an apartment building on fire. Someone went off the rails. You're right, I don't think tighter gun laws would have prevented this.

Right or wrong, a lot of upstate NYers are against the new gun laws.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
4 hmmm

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'm just wondering...but how is this notable for Breaking News?

The United States has, for decades and on average, sustained 20-30 gun related deaths per day, every day. Holidays and Christmas included. That's held now for over 20 years on the average numbers (which is why I leave the 10 body spread...it varies but within that range for the 20-25+ year period)

So.. If every garden variety shooting is going to make breaking news...they better have a whole new forum just for shootings. It could be running a dozen or more messages of entirely new incidents every single day.

He killed 4 people (so far), wounded at least 2 others, started a huge fire, and is still on the lose.

Also, gun legislation is on the table and this will definitely be a feather in the cap of the anti-gun advocates.
I'm sure this guy NEVER EVER was on anti depression meds, mark my words...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The Utica Observer-Dispatch reported (http://(link tracking not allowed)/WnbdK0) that police were seen removing about half a dozen long guns from an apartment building in Mohawk where a fire had broken out around 9:30 a.m. The building is around the corner from the barbershop.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
6 people shot!! and 4 killed so far.. They say SWAT team has surrounded the building hes in..

Well say good by to guns, it's messed up people like this that ruin it for everyone..

6 People Shot, 4 Dead So Far..

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Police are believed to be looking for one suspect, who is thought to have used a long gun and fled in a red Jeep with a black top.

The vehicle was recovered shortly after 10am this morning in Herkimer, but the suspect is still on the run.

Local media said there were unconfirmed reports of an explosion in nearby South Washington Street, in Mohawk, around the same time.

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 13-3-2013 by paratus because: added link

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by paratus

Indeed... It's a horrible crime on a local level. It might even reach the level of "odd" to rate notice on a regional level ....in times where gun crime isn't the be all, end all focus of some media reporting. Now? Well... Sure thing! 4 dead. As I've said for months, the rule seems to be 3 bodies or more. Circumstances don't much matter and reasons are secondary. 3 bodies or more and a gun accounting for at least some of them. That's the criteria for a local story to be national or even international news.

It's held that pattern now since December. It's at least interesting to see it's not changing.... As fascinating as this crime is for the odd factor of an arson being thrown in for a topper....it's still a garden variety shooting. They happen every day..(literally) across out nation. Outside of the LOCAL aspect....it's news how?

Just my observation. (and suffering major 'gun crime' burnout after months of hearing about every run of the mill shooting like it's the worst event since Charles Manson
) They happen...every ..single...day.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This.

Its getting old, and is NOT "alternative" news. Its just mundane, common MSM news.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Like another poster said, say goodbye to guns. Because of the widespread reporting of these incidents, I believe there're copycat crimes now. There have been more mass shootings in hte past decade than in the past. Maybe people are taking out their frustration because of lost jobs or lost opportunities. Either way, the effect of the mass shootings on the public combined with the fact that 20,000 of the 30,000 gun deaths every year are due to suicides, is dire indeed. Between 78% and 90% of all attempted suicides using guns are fatal. While there's no direct link between gun owners themselves and mental illness (although some have suggested that their outlook on the world as being a dangerous place might have some influence on their family), studies have consistently shown that if your family owns a gun then one of you is more likely to die, not less. They've been unable to link non-firearm suicide to gun prevalence. And in places with more guns there're more suicides, but this is not linked to the common indicators for suicide, like mental illness or abuse or poverty.

Here're some things they will use as justification to take your guns away:
www.minnpost.com - The health risk of having a gun in the home...

Make no mistake, we're dumbing down society and have been at it for a while. And because people are becoming more dependent, they're losing the skills necessary to exist self-sufficiently.

So we're at a stage in the coming century when most people will not own a gun. One day most people will not drive either. Cars will drive themselves. And once people grow used to it, they will clamp down on manual driving so that only the best drivers can drive manually. When that day comes, I'm sure that manual drivers will be seen as old fashioned and dangerous.
edit on 13-3-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
A pic of the perp is up on here now:

www.businessinsider.com...

I read that someone said he has "some point to prove" and an agenda.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Like another poster said, say goodbye to guns. Because of the widespread reporting of these incidents, I believe there're copycat crimes now. There have been more mass shootings in hte past decade than in the past. Maybe people are taking out their frustration because of lost jobs or lost opportunities. Either way, the effect of the mass shootings on the public combined with the fact that 20,000 of the 30,000 gun deaths every year are due to suicides, is dire indeed. Between 78% and 90% of all attempted suicides using guns are fatal. While there's no direct link between gun owners themselves and mental illness (although some have suggested that their outlook on the world as being a dangerous place might have some influence on their family), studies have consistently shown that if your family owns a gun then one of you is more likely to die, not less.

Here're some things they will use as justification to take your guns away:
www.minnpost.com - The health risk of having a gun in the home...

Make no mistake, we're dumbing down society and have been at it for a while. And because people are becoming more dependent, they're losing the skills necessary to exist self-sufficiently.
edit on 13-3-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

Check out this article www.cchrint.org...
It outlines all "known" drugs that have been related to shootings, major ones.
At least all the ones we've been included in the disclosure anyhow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join