It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Exploding' meteorite seen in SA sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

'Exploding' meteorite seen in SA sky

www.iol.co.za

Cape Town - Residents across Cape Town claimed to have sighted a meteorite on Tuesday after what appears to have been a fireball “exploded” in the sky.

It is said to have been sighted just after noon. Nicola Loaring, an outreach astronomer at the South African Astronomical Observatory, said they had received about four or five reports.

The green and blue light with a white tail that was reported to them appeared to be that of “a fireball, which is a bright meteor”.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hisz.rsoe.hu

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
If this is true the pace is picking up. Couldn't find other sources yet. The RSOE map shows the event as 'Event into space'. We just have to wait for confirmation I guess...

I know people are more aware and report more often of these kind of events but I've hardly seen RSOE to be wrong about stuff... almost always on the point.
www.iol.co.za

Here seems to be some info and a few photos of the event. In the photos shown by the site it doesn't appear to be that big of an event, compared to Russia.

Lunarmeteoritehunters
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-3-2013 by OnWhiteMars because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2013 by OnWhiteMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The photo is a file photo and is indeed from the Russian meteor a couple of weeks ago...it says so on the page you linked to.

If this one in SA was 'Huge' as described, i would have thought it would have done some damage similar to the Russian one, but the article says nothing of any damage.

It does mention a company director managed to take a photo of it, so maybe it will get an image up later.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Yep, noticed the description under the photo a bit too late. No wonder it rang a bell. Wasn't there a Cuban meteor after the Russian one that didn't get attention right away. Somehow I recall it was on RSOE for a day or two until some news channels picked it up?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Have spoken to friends and family in the Cape. They are not even aware of this
Then the Cape is a huge place.

But, it seems like a really small one.

Source

"It's probably something like a pebble-sized piece of rock," Dr Nicola Loaring, outreach astronomer at the South African Astronomical Observatory, told News24.

*It was near Blouberg, according to RSOE. Asked a friend there, he doesn't know anything about it.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OnWhiteMars

There definately does seem to be an increase in the volume of incoming space debris.
ca.news.yahoo.com...

I believe this has to do with Earth's depleting magnetasphere and coupled with the high expulsion of methane gas release, as Rezlooper's thread points out, the combination of methane gas and comet debris friction is what is making them overly noticable.

It won't be good if the comet debris is the match stick to the methane release.

But the way old freind, this forum really does need a 'flag' to tell it's members when they have recieved a U2U
message as I sent you a message awhile ago. (I'm guilty of missing sent messages too)
edit on 13-3-2013 by HumAnnunaki because: spelling errors

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumAnnunaki
reply to post by OnWhiteMars

There definately does seem to be an increase in the volume of incoming space debris.
ca.news.yahoo.com...

I believe this has to do with Earth's depleting magnetasphere and coupled with the high expulsion of methane gas release, as Rezlooper's thread points out, the combination of methane gas and comet debris friction is what is making them overly noticable.

It won't be good if the comet debris is the match stick to the methane release.

If you are correct, the implication is that our planet is rapidly becoming more vulnerable to threats from outer space - is that what you are saying?

But the way old freind, this forum really does need a 'flag' to tell it's members when they have recieved a U2U
message as I sent you a message awhile ago. (I'm guilty of missing sent messages too)
edit on 13-3-2013 by HumAnnunaki because: spelling errors

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Here's the youtube link re this object :

www.youtube.com...#!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking
If you are correct, the implication is that our planet is rapidly becoming more vulnerable to threats from outer space - is that what you are saying?

Unfortunately, yes, this is what I am eluding to.

I have written extensively about this phenomina in this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
But I warn you and anyone else whom decides to read my thread -

It is very long and ardorous.

(p.s. My wife of 31 years knows my accuracy and she refuses to read my thread
as she believes it will scare the bejeepers out of her)
edit on 13-3-2013 by HumAnnunaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I just don't believe that all these meteor's lately are a normal occurrence anymore, the increase in meteors is obvious. I myself have seen two in the last 2 years ?

top topics

join