It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

over population

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I find it backward and plain lazy that so many third world countries refuse to practice birth control. It is the responsibility of everyone on Earth to stop the over crowding and polution and preserve our planet. What can be done to enlighten these fools?

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
what you have to remember is a lot of these countrys are catholic and its against their religion to use birth control+theres always the cost to consider and distribution and re-education of how to use it.

Regards.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ok, world citizens should pressure the Vatican for birth control reform.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I think we have too many politicians. The first population control should be geared towards royal bloodlines and family dynasties.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Dollmonster,

It's unfair and, dare I say, ignorant, of you to say that "I find it backward and plain lazy that so many third world countries refuse to practice birth control". The situation is a hell of a lot more complicated than a 'refusal'. There are many more factors that effect the population growth of countries, not just birth control. Factors such as the status of women, the level of education, accessbility to education and to contraception, socio-economic status of families, etc, etc have major influence on the fertility rate, not mention the level of development of the countries.

It is very easy to sit there, dishing out you opinions on other people and countries... just next time remember to back it up with something more substantional than your presumptions and prejudices.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Population controls will happen sooner or later. It will occur as a result of famine, disease, or war. The human race will find a way to destroy teh majority of itself in one way or another. Its just a matter of when.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Overpopulation is a boogy man from the 1970s.
Its not going to happen.

Every 1st world country except America will LOSE population by 2050.
Many 3rd world countries will as well.

Its a fear that never eventuated... there are threads on it here somewhere...

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dollmonster
I find it backward and plain lazy that so many third world countries refuse to practice birth control. It is the responsibility of everyone on Earth to stop the over crowding and polution and preserve our planet. What can be done to enlighten these fools?

Well in a lot of these 3rd world countries there is no welfare support or old age pensions. So when they get old, how do they support themselves?

Simple. They rely on their children to look after them. Due to the high mortality rates in children, they tend to have a few more than us just in case.

As far as pollution goes, you live in the country which pollutes the planet the most!

So, could you please enlighten us as to what YOU have done to reduce pollution and preserve our planet.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoses

Well in a lot of these 3rd world countries there is no welfare support or old age pensions. So when they get old, how do they support themselves?

The rise of the middle class and the natural reduction of family size by fqamilies not wanting to support so many mouths leads to more income and savings and also encourage people to have a stable society.
Also AIDS has removed an entire strata of adults, leaving only the elderly and children. This effect is only just beginning to be seen now, it will be much more in effect in the next few decades.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Regardless of the cost and so on most third world counrties are EXTREMELY religious so controceptives wouldnt be used.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
Population controls will happen sooner or later. It will occur as a result of famine, disease, or war. The human race will find a way to destroy teh majority of itself in one way or another. Its just a matter of when.

That seems to be how it would work.

Also, you've got to look at the death rate with regard to births. Most countries that have huge populations have short life expectancies and huge infant mortality rates. A compensation is having plenty of kids so you'll have some left after some of them die. Also, look at the way of life. Plenty of farming and the like, you need large families to help with that, and kids to take care of you when you're older as well.

it's not as simple as calling them fools and lazy. I'd say you're the one who needs to be enlightened.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The problem with the human race in relation to the ecosystem is not our numbers it is our behavior. We are supposedly the highest form of life on this planet. We have knowledge, intelligence and creativitiy and are the only species capably of activly attempting to preserve and protect our planet. We also must remember that we are not the reason for the existance of everything, we are merely one part of the ecology. Yet we trample on the earth as if it were yesterdays fashion rather than rever and protect it as if it were the sustinance of all life (which by the way it is). With our great intilect comes a great responsibility. We are responsible for maitining the delicate balance which we have such power to disrupt. But we behave very poorly. We do not accept our responsiblity. The human race has become a virus on the face of the earth destroying our host as we mindlessly consume. Our number could actually serve as a benefit if we were right minded and behaved as part of a system with a delicate balance rather than like a bunch of greedy, selfish, wasteful children.

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
Population controls will happen sooner or later. It will occur as a result of famine, disease, or war.

population control devices will be implanted into the hands of all brothers and sisters soon and nobody will give a # coz we like comfort ...allah!!

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

That is their problem, why should we care?

In the western world is taking pace a completely opposite process � depopulation � because of low birth rates and long lifespan.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Agnis]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agnis
That is their problem, why should we care?

Because through the movement of peoples in our modern world a growth in population in one part of the world will result in migration to areas with smaller populations because there is room and usally higher living standards.

Originally posted by Agnis
In the western world is taking pace a completely opposite process � depopulation, because of low birth rates and long lifespan.

Longer lifespan would result in a increase in population because people are dieing less often.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Over population will be the demise of man. BUT I do not blame the 3rd world. No. Their life expectancy makes it pretty much a non-issue. The blame is with developed countries. There is more harm done by a family in a developed nation with 3 to 4 kids than a 3rd world family with 6 kids. Why? Look at how long people live in America and compare it to how long they live in Africa. Twice as long maybe? Maybe more? I've known PLENTY of American families with 4+ kids. The people in the 3rd world die out at such a high rate that it will never be a problem with them. One flood and 30,000 are gone. AIDS is also taking its toll. Look at industrialized nations for the source of the problem.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Population growth is not a drastic problem for planet earth. Ever heard of the Malthus theory? Once a population reaches a certain breaking point it is checked by positive and negative checks. Positive=war, famine etc. Negative= infertility, sterilisation etc.

Population growth is more dangerous for developed countries as it affects economies.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Of course all of you who reprimanded me are right. I was very arrogant and smug in my comments on birth control in the third world. I blame the alter- ego of my ambivelance which sometimes takes complete control. I struggle daily with this dual personality. I am sorry.

[edit on 11/7/2004 by dollmonster]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Because through the movement of peoples in our modern world a growth in population in one part of the world will result in migration to areas with smaller populations because there is room and usally higher living standards.

Hence there should be better immigration control.

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Longer lifespan would result in a increase in population because people are dieing less often.

No, it means lots of old people.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I do think this will have and impact on every country of the world because, yes, they will move to lesser populated areas, as happened throughout history and is happening now with the influx of Mexicans coming here to make money and send to Mexico.

The problem is partially their religion but not only that, it's machismo for men to have many children, no matter if they can feed them or not.

I hope I don't offend anyone but I personlly think the Catholic church is corrupt. It is so wealthy with paintings and "things" that they could feed their people but these people that have no hope need religion to give them hope and the church knows this.

Even if birth control were given to these people, they wouldn't take it and it's the same in Africa and other countries too for various reason they have as many children as possible.

Of course you people are correct it's a lack of educaton. Catholics predominately use birth control in the USA and other countries too. They think for themselves but the poor and uneducated that have lived the way they have seen generation after generation are going to follow.

new topics

top topics

join