It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US dismissive of 'bellicose rhetoric' after North Korea nullifies armistice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

US dismissive of 'bellicose rhetoric' after North Korea nullifies armistice

www.guardian.co.uk

The US has dismissed North Korea's declaration that the 1953 armistice with Seoul is nullified as "bellicose rhetoric" but warned Pyongyang that it will face "the full range of our capabilities" if it were to carry out its threat of a nuclear attack.

Barack Obama's top national security adviser, Tom Donilon, on Monday called on China to join in further isolating Pyongyang, following the North Korean military leadership's declaration that the truce with South Korea was void . . .
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.usatoday.com
www.bloomberg.com
www.washingtonpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
North Korea vows to cancel Korean War ceasefire
North Korean State Media Announces Preparation For All-Out War
North Korea cuts hotline with South following threats

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It looks to me like Obama is unimpressed by the threats and bluster out of Pyongyang. I'm thinking it would be best if China handled this whole mess themselves, as it sounds like they're seriously considering in other stories. At any rate, it's good to see Obama isn't giving a soft reaction.

Perhaps North Korea will settle down with time if they aren't given attention or new aid rewards for their threats. They seem to pull this every few years but they get more serious each time. One of these times, they'll cross the line just for the sake of not having gone that far before.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'm about 95% sure that N. Korea won't be doing anything major and are just grandstanding. However there is that little 5% that I am unsure about that is keeping me interested in this story as it develops. The only thing I can be certain about when it comes to N. Korea is that KJU is insane and insanity is predictably unpredictable. I just fear that if something happens and we go to war with N. Korea that will ignite the powder keg to cause a huge chain of events to go off that could change the world forever.
edit on 13-3-2013 by Krazysh0t because: ninja edit

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
NK did this all thru the 80's whenever we'd did "Team Spirit" exercises with South Korea.

A lot of saber rattling and grandstanding. Then when the exercise was over, all was quiet again.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have some points to make on this topic.

1. Obama administration is actually doing the smart thing here. (OMG, did beezzer say something positive about the president?) Not playing into Kim's rhetoric is the smartest move.

2. Perhaps L'il Kim is forestalling a possible coup. He's young, inexperienced, maybe some of the old guard generals are itching towards his seat and Kim is asserting some power to keep them away.

3. S. Korea just recently elected a woman as their leader. Maybe this is just "male-centric" posturing.

Just my thoughts on it.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
i think this is all for show . the obama admin knows that N.K will not act before getting permission from T.P.T.B .

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
The US is letting NK throw their temper tantrum in the corner... If no one pays attention, they will likely stop soon..

And with China becoming fed up with NK's reckless actions, NK literally has zero friends and a limited amount of options right now...

Option 1- Strike against SK and the US, which means your country is gone

Option 2- Be laughed at by the rest of the world because no one takes you serious
edit on 13-3-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

N. Korea is just testing everyone to see how far they can take it. I have to admit for once Obama is doing the right thing here. If Kim tries anything that it's going to be normal buisness for them. Missles will be flyin'.

-SAP-

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

3. S. Korea just recently elected a woman as their leader. Maybe this is just "male-centric" posturing.

This might be a fatal error by little Kim lol

Park Geunhye is daughter of the past South Korean president-dictator Park Chunhee. Her views are much more extreme than those of the last president Lee Myungbak. If there`s one president that will support retaliation against DPRK is her.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Interesting situation

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
North Korea's overt threats are not nearly as dangerous as their recent covert activities.

They have learned the strategic advantages of using terrorist proxies to attack enemies, while maintaining plausible deniability.

Just like the big kids on the block have done in the past...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ausername

They have been doing that for a long time. It's nothing new.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by muircertach

The way it has been done may be an old strategy, but IMO... This is something new... And potentially, completely unexpected.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Little Kim has'nt been doing this for a long time, it was always daddy kim doing it..

We really dont have any clue what lil Kim might do..

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

i agree on your five percent, if we go to war with NK then we will be fighting technically a four front war..

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ACONCERNEDCITIZEN
reply to post by Krazysh0t

i agree on your five percent, if we go to war with NK then we will be fighting technically a four front war..

The USA cannot threaten Iran with military force, while possibly having to deal with a military conflict in Korea.

Essentially this places the US military in a holding pattern, or a "wait and see" mode. Which is exactly where the enemies want the US to be... Budget cuts, and fiscal issues, along with a growing domestic threat... and much more on the table that is probably best kept from the public for now.

IF the USA is forced into a military conflict and invasion, occupation of NK, while there is trouble in the ME between Israel and Iran among others... Well, some things are best left alone.

Being dismissive of the NK threats is about the only position the USA can afford to have on NK, at least for now.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I think everything has changed in this. At least in some ways.

Kim's psychotic father made threats, ran long duration intelligence and kidnap operations in the surrounding nations (The Japanese and South Korean national's who were kidnapped are public record all this time later) and generally made a menace of himself and his little nation after starting and losing the first Korean War.

In THAT way... Nothing has changed and threats are like they've always been. Loud, frequent and almost comic for how over the top they are in reality. The problem comes in what HAS changed. He never had successful detonation of MULTIPLE Nuclear warheads before. They've claimed it..and they had a dud or two (The first ever to try and fail on the first try...lol) but now they have proven the capability.

Now Kim doesn't have 500-1,000lb High Explosive warheads to blow out windows in Tokyo if he's pissed. He can literally ERASE a large % of Tokyo as if it had never existed or the people in it. THAT changes everything. When the loud mouth of the neighborhood gets a gun? He becomes the bona fide bully of the neighborhood...even if never capable of being that before, IMO.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Nothing has changed and threats are like they've always been. Loud, frequent and almost comic for how over the top they are in reality. The problem comes in what HAS changed. He never had successful detonation of MULTIPLE Nuclear warheads before. They've claimed it..and they had a dud or two (The first ever to try and fail on the first try...lol) but now they have proven the capability.

The likelihood that this current regime in NK will share nuclear technologies and materials, along with other WMD expertise and materials is MUCH greater than it was under the previous leadership...

As I said... IMO, their overt threats are NOT nearly as dangerous as their covert activities.

Saying "nothing has changed" would be incredibly foolish now.
edit on 13-3-2013 by ausername because: oops

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I agree that it's foolish to say...

The language, behavior and general babbling from the Palace in Pyongyang are unchanged. That part is accurate enough...the true meaning and potential behind them is radically different, indeed. The question is...does Kim see it as different or is it still running bluffs with a new 'insert here' weapon to make the threats with? His mindset is what I think the world would give anything to know for certain at the moment. War or Peace...defined by that personality. Ugh.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Playing on the predictable and obvious overt act, while engaged in more sinister covert activities.

That is about as simple an explanation as I can provide.... IMO of course.

It is an old game, one that evil loves to play.... He has learned well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join