It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this strange creature?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I want to say a tawny frogmouth, a whippoorwill or a cuckoo chick?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
The bird in the pictures is known as "serpent-bird of Gurabo". It is supposedly the legendary "Chotacabras" (goat sucking bird) and is related to the Chupacabra (according to the legend). The picture is however a hoax. It is indeed a nighthawk or Nightjar, also known as a whippoorwill.

Here is the entire story in Spanish (I'm sure you'll be able to find more sources with the given information) and the crux translates to something like this:

In issue 24 of the magazine Enigma!, Directed by Martin, presented the case of a "strange" bird with snake fangs. The bird was found late one night in April 1989 by the husband and brother of Maria Ortiz Hernandez, in a neighborhood Jaguas sector, while fishing. Not if he finally got the names of these two people. In the original paper by Martin gave no data.

The men suddenly heard a loud howl. They took their lanterns and illuminated to the place from where the noise came from. Amazed saw a strange bird perched on a tree branch about to fly into a tailspin against them. The extraordinary bird was showing two enormous tusks like those of a snake. However, when illuminated by lanterns, the bird froze and fell from the tree. Took time to catch fishermen.
Finally a policeman who visited the house said it could not exist. He then took the bird and ripped its fangs. It was roosters spurs. On hearing this, the Department of Natural Resources issued an open letter in the press denying everything, saying the issue was false and stating that the bird was a member of the species called Nightjar, a protected species, so it is warned the public that the capture of these animals was punishable by law, and that anyone who captured one of those birds would be prosecuted. By Maria Ortiz animal had been maimed by adding a rooster spurs in the mouth.

If you read the story there's a lot more drama like biologists supposedly coming to view the bird, unable to identify it as an existing species, DNA (?) tests showing that it was "human", the government trying to hide the existence of the bird and what not.

Bottom-line: If you strip the story down to its basics: It was a nighthawk with rooster spurs stuck in its mouth.
edit on 13-3-2013 by Gemwolf because: Missing word

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Thanks for the info. After reading that...it sure has all the signs of a hoax.
edit on 13-3-2013 by Bunch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Looks like a fair sized reptile/snake/lizard/iguana. Nothing too exciting, as usual.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Oh my gosh, isnt that the creature from hell...was I seeing something similar to fangs? was that just me!? I have heard of this, as I am into cryptozoology almost every day but I am surprised I missed this! Thanx for sharing, cant wait to learn more, as I am going to see what I can find now!

OKAY- I reeeeaally wish they would quit with the hoax stuff, of all the amazing animals we have discovered and have yet too, there doesnt need to be any, this was disappointing, but got me thinking about the chupacabra as well, and the two holes in the throat when they are found dead...none the less, thanx for the info

edit on 03-15-13 by TruthisStrangerthanfictio because: add

<< 1   >>

join