It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA, Curiosity: Mars Dry Lake Held Water, Pure Enough To Drink

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This just popped into my subscriptions, brought by Moxnews (Because to hell with Cable)

Wanted to get it out there.
Will try to find as much information as possible.

NASA's Curiosity Rover Shows Mars Once Habitable

(HOUSTON) -- NASA’s Curiosity rover, drilling into a rock near its landing site, has found clear evidence that Mars, eons ago, could have supported living microbes. Mission scientists said Tuesday, in the words of Mike Meyer, NASA’s chief Mars scientist, that they’ve found “all the signs of being a habitable environment at one time.”

Scientists said they had found from previous missions that the Martian surface was once warm and wet, but now they say Curiosity has given them evidence the water was much like water on Earth -- not too briny, salty or alkaline for living things.

“We have found a habitable environment that is so benign and supportive of life,” said John Grotzinger, Curiosity’s project scientist, “that if you had been on Mars, the water would have been pure enough to drink.”

I'm not overly surprised, are you?
Please read the full article above.
Pretty good read.
edit on 12-3-2013 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2013 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

So if there is still water somewhere beneath the surface would it still be drinkable?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I'm not surprised at all.

What is also not surprising, but is disappointing, is how they feel the need to immediately followup with "don't worry, we are talking about microorganisms here!" "Not scary green monsters." This is to coddle those with certain world views/not offend the wrong people -- to baby-step us to the inevitable conclusions we will come to via exploring space/other planets.

Well guess what people. If there were organics, and microorganisms, they prob. evolved into much more interesting forms of life. Maybe scary green monsters that humanity is going to have to accept as a possibility sooner than later.

edit on 3/12/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Yes, but you'd have to share it with the Martian lizards and squidbeasts which Arken has exposed for us.

Time to buy land on Mars eh?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
I'm not surprised at all.

...This is to coddle those with certain world views/not offend the wrong people -- to baby-step us to the inevitable conclusions we will come to via exploring space/other planets (....) Well guess what people. If there were organics, and microorganisms, they prob. evolved into much more interesting forms of life.(..)

Fully agree. So far we have people still unwilling to admit that evolution is even possible.
Probably will be a slow process, some folks just don't like to adjust to anything outside of their own confirmation bias.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
So I can't drink water from Mexico, or I can't drink the water in the ocean, yet they want to claim water from Mars was once drinkable??? A pretty bold claim indeed, I guess all the martian "microbes" or bacteria in the water would have no ill effect on the human body either.....

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Definitely, would have to not be ocean water or polluted water for them to make that claim.

Really wonder what's underneath the surface. Perhaps they've already uncovered much more, and this is why they are so very confident of their findings.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

posted 9 hours ago with 3 other threads
search

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

edit on 13-3-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

SEARCH IS UR FRIEND

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyeinoz
reply to post by goou111

SEARCH IS UR FRIEND

I know how to search!!! I didnt post the thread...

all Im sayin is if your gonna come in a thread and say "ita allready posted use the search button" you should at least post the link to the other thread.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is interesting, I hope they release more soon.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyeinoz

posted 9 hours ago with 3 other threads
search

This is a bigger story just recent, basically at a conference last Tuesday NASA announced officially for the first time that life could be sustainable on other planets because of this water discovery.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So did the inhabitants of Mars cause their own destruction like we are?

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

No, Mars simply became uninhabitable for them (unless there are some sneaky microbes still hiding there). Mars' core cooled down and stopped spinning, which caused the magnetic field disappear. Without the magnetic field, the solar radiation stripped air molecules off, until the atmosphere became as thin as it is now. Without the thicker atmosphere, any liquid water evaporated, and Mars was left very cold and very dry.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Originally posted by rickymouse

No, Mars simply became uninhabitable for them (unless there are some sneaky microbes still hiding there). Mars' core cooled down and stopped spinning, which caused the magnetic field disappear. Without the magnetic field, the solar radiation stripped air molecules off, until the atmosphere became as thin as it is now. Without the thicker atmosphere, any liquid water evaporated, and Mars was left very cold and very dry.

Maybe they just relocated their people and many animals here when that was happening millions of years ago.

new topics

top topics

join