It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Water & Sound Experiment

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

predator0187 thanks for the cool presentation. Makes 1 wonder how different sound patterns can move or affect different forms of matter as well as fluids in the body.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
No big deal. What you're seeing falls into the larger group of phenomena we call 'aliasing', and the subset of that called the stroboscopic effect.

Whenever you see videos of helicopters with the blades not turning, or cars moving forward when the wheels appear to be turning backwards, it's the same thing as this. Note that the instructions say to set the shutter speed to 24 fps, then diddle the audio generator between 23 and 25 hz. That causes aliasing between the water motion caused by the speaker and the shutter rate of the camera, and voila! weird stop motions and things that appear to be moving backwards.

Seeing as how you had to explain all of that, I'd say it is a pretty big deal.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas

Seeing as how you had to explain all of that, I'd say it is a pretty big deal.

Not really. I just assume most ATSers are not technical and need an explanation. Like I say, I was doing this in middle school.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Seems like a good physical macro-scale representation of what's considered wave/particle duality. The stream of water consists of particles, but it also acts as waveform. I'd think that this is similar to what continuous streams of electrons/photons do in terms of ability to carry information.

Now I'm curious as to how water spray affected like this spreads out when directed through a slit or double slit. (See if it's also possible to reproduce a quantum/optical experiment on a macro scale.)

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This would be cool to have as a display in my house but having to set it up in another room and have a camerea filming at 24fps and then displaying that on a monitor.... not so cool anymore.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This would be cool to have as a display in my house but having to set it up in another room and have a camerea filming at 24fps and then displaying that on a monitor.... not so cool anymore.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAoxx

You could have a night time display and use a strobe. If you took the frequency up to about 70Hz, the strobe effect wouldn't be visible, and the display would take on an unnatural clarity. It might be useful to replace the speaker tower with some sort of actuator shaking the hose so it isn't so loud.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join