It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol Poisoning Across Libya?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

It has crossed my mind now. That has to be the most horrible and cruel idea for a policy move I can imagine ...but then we have some people over there leading nations with a mindset from centuries ago and it WAS a very cruel and brutal world under those lines of thought.

I suppose it could be... I mean it wouldn't be a NEW idea, would it? I'd heard some ideas of a similar nature back in the closing days of the Cocaine Wars in the U.S. (Late 80's as I imagine you recall). The idea then, among some sick bastards, was to spike the street stuff and insure you killed off the whole drug subculture in one quick sweep. Those who didn't die would quit. It's the ultimate horror in example for "The ends justify the means" concept, isn't it?

It takes a monster to even consider it beyond theory.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonyWarp
Antifreeze create a fast kidney failure...

That's been a big problem in regions that use old radiators in their distilling process. I was always leery about trying "gin" made by the friend of someone's uncle when I lived up in Boone, NC. I would just respectfully pass the jar on to the next.

As for this case in Libya, perhaps the Black Market magnates are using old radiators in an effort to speed production. It is certainly a strange case and one could certainly not rule out sabotage as a sort of punishment for those who have betrayed their faith.

Strange days indeed!!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I found this article from a couple of years ago in Turkey. Apparently they were having a bathtub gin problem

As previously reported in this blog, Turkey has recently been dealing with a flood of bootleg booze that has mostly impacted the country's lower-end tourist trade and has, tragically, led to the death of four Russian tourists.

Turkish authorities have responded with a crackdown on bootleggers and have started taking a closer look at just what is being served to tourists. As Milliyet reports, what they're finding out is pretty worrying. In Antalya, out of 54 bottles of booze sampled in various touristic facilities, a whopping 22 turned up with elevated level of methyl alcohol -- a compound which is directly linked with alcohol poisoning. In response, says Milliyet, authorities have announced a ban on the import of bottles of several brands of booze that, based on their names, should probably have never been let into the country in the first place. Among the illustrious brands being banned: "Mister Bourdon" and "Brave Harvey" vodka and whiskey, "Nordix Gin Party" and "London Dry Gin Guard Hause" [sic] gin and "838" vodka. (If you follow this link, you can see a photo of a bottle of "Brave Harvey" whiskey, proudly bottled in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.)

Bottles contained elevated levels of Methyl Alcohol.

www.eurasianet.org...

Police raided a workshop used for manufacturing bootlegged alcoholic drinks in Istanbul on Friday, seizing a total of 2,537 bottles of drinks that were allegedly manufactured illegally.

Police raided a workshop used for manufacturing bootlegged alcoholic drinks in Istanbul on Friday, seizing a total of 2,537 bottles of drinks that were allegedly manufactured illegally.

Istanbul police force launched an operation to determine places that were producing bootlegged alcoholic drinks, resulting in the raid on a location in an industrial zone in Istanbul's western Başakşehir district, daily Hürriyet reported.

Police confiscated 750 counterfeited tax labels, 2,537 bottles of liquor, 3,575 empty bottles, 3,000 bottle caps and two tanks used to store liquor.

Six people were detained in the raid; one of them was placed under arrest after questioning at police headquarters.

Three Russian tourists recently died in Turkey as a result of drinking bootlegged alcohol during a yacht tour on the Aegean Sea, Anatolia news agency reported Wednesday

www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

Bootlegging seems be the only way to source alcohol in Libya...

Strange story. Thanks for posting!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by mideast

So, finger pointing aside. What's your take on this my middle eastern friend?

I think that some stupid has done a horrible thing to the drinks. Maybe the dosage of alcohol has been very high. Maybe they have used industrial alcohol. Maybe .....

In Islam , people can do anything in their home as far as it is not ruining the society. I mean for example they can not have that kinds of parties.

Although rules are different in the countries , Islam cares much about society and their roles in society. It doesn't care if some one is doing in his home.

Western propaganda machine doesn't want Muslims to fight for their countries. They want to invade where ever they wish ASAP. So , that is the reason they are putting their war on Jihad and war to tranquilize Muslims from defending their homes. Jihad is not killing innocents , it is to fight invaders. But western MSM shows like it is stupid action.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

"The ends justify the means" concept, isn't it?

Both means and goals should be allowed by god to start an action , people can not define whatever they want as Islam , or it is not Islam anymore. It is an idea of some crazy person.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I disagree.. It's not that freaking hard to make good alcohol.

My granddaddy ran a still and ran moonshine. My mom taught me how to build one when I was just a kid. It was the family business til everyone went into trucking. Throw the first 2-3 ounces away in any batch.

To me - on this scale - it seems like a vengeful or tactical move to get rid of non-faithful muslims or scare everyone else into submission with Islamic dietary law.
It could be a strike at funding sources too - someone might have been using bootlegging to fund some resistance.
edit on 14-3-2013 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Damn somebody over there are is selling bad drink in the desert. That is down right vile when you really think about it. The desert is harsh and getting a little fire water really makes life a lot better. It is high demand I guess. of a few bad batches got out in the market a lot of people will end up like that are in Libya right now. They don`t have the infrastructure to deal with a mass poisoning of the population. I think a few people might die. This is not going to end well at all unless another nation state offers nationalist doctor, nurses and first aid workers.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I have a deep interest in poisons and cases of food poisoning and I was looking up poisoned figs for research to do with another thread and Google threw up this thread during one of my searches!

I am bumping this thread so that I may return to it later on for research purposes to do with poisoned alcohol.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
My guess is someone bottled up alcohol that was made for a gasoline additive.

It is denatured with small amounts of methanol.

Even railroad cars in the US labeled with the warning placard for ethanol can be ether denatured for gas Additive or other non drinking uses. or pure drinkable alcohol.
www.safetysupplywarehouse.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join