It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Grail, Cup of Jamshid, and Scrying stones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
There are some clues that seem to show that the Holy Grail is actually a scrying stone and not the cup related to The Last Supper with Jesus. Here is my trail of thought:

First of all, mediums have used Scrying stones for thousands of years in places like Ireland (Beryl), Yucatan (crystals), and pre-Islamic Persia. Scrying stones today are in popular media shown as crystal balls, but many sort of materials have been used, even dark water or ink, the only rule seem to be shining, luminous or reflective surface to let a medium, magician, or psychic to gain knowledge or knowing.

Here is how the Encyclopedia Britannica describes scrying:

Divination of distant or future events based on visions seen in a ball of rock crystal. Divination based on an analysis of reflections in water, on polished metal, or on precious stones was practiced by early humans, who probably interpreted these phenomena as a vision of the spirit world. Scrying became widespread by the 5th century AD and was condemned by the medieval Christian church as the work of the devil.

So, Scrying has been in use since ancient times. Now over to the 10th century.

The Cup of Jamshid was said to be filled with an elixir of immortality and was used in scrying. As mentioned by Ali-Akbar Dehkhoda, it was believed that one could observe all the seven heavens of the universe by looking into it. It was believed to have been discovered in Persepolis in ancient times. The whole world was said to be reflected in it, and divinations within the Cup were said to reveal deep truths. Sometimes, especially in popular depictions such as The Heroic Legend of Arslan, the cup has been visualized as a crystal ball. Helen Zimmern's English translation of the Shahnameh uses the term "crystal globe".

Here we can see that there seems to have been an evolution from some kind of crystal or stone used for Scrying to a cup with some dark liquid. In archeology and culture we often see that items of importance seem to gain complexity and symbolism over time - this may have happened here too.

Now, lets move on to the 12th century Europe, here the legend of The Holy Grail first appear, and as many have suggested before me it seems that the Cup of Jamshid is the origins for the real Holy Grail myth and not the cup associated with the Last Supper with Jesus Christ. The Holy Grail also seem to have many of the same traits, but here the main purpose seem to be gaining immortality - whereas the Cup of Jamshid merely was filled with elixir of immortality the purpose of scrying. Also, it is worth noting that according to legend King Arthur was scrying himself.

It seems that it is plausible that the Holy Grail, Cup of Jamshid, and Scrying stones are all connected over the millennia’s - a mythical tool used by mediums and psychics that evolved into the 12th century Holy Grail myth.

Peace out.

MM.

edit on 12-3-2013 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MerkabaMeditation
Now over to the 10th century. The Cup of Jamshid was said to be filled with an elixir of immortality and was used in scrying. As mentioned by Ali-Akbar Dehkhoda, it was believed that one could observe all the seven heavens of the universe by looking into it. It was believed to have been discovered in Persepolis in ancient times. The whole world was said to be reflected in it, and divinations within the Cup were said to reveal deep truths. Sometimes, especially in popular depictions such as The Heroic Legend of Arslan, the cup has been visualized as a crystal ball. Helen Zimmern's English translation of the Shahnameh uses the term "crystal globe".

The cup ("Jām") was said to be filled with an elixir of immortality and was used in scrying. As mentioned by Ali-Akbar Dehkhoda, it was believed that one could observe all the seven heavens of the universe by looking into it (از هفت فلک در او مشاهده و معاینه کردی). It was believed to have been discovered in Persepolis in ancient times. The whole world was said to be reflected in it, and divinations within the Cup were said to reveal deep truths. Sometimes, especially in popular depictions such as The Heroic Legend of Arslan, the cup has been visualized as a crystal ball. Helen Zimmern's English translation of the Shahnameh uses the term "crystal globe".[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

Really interesting topic, OP. Flag for it.. but next time it'd be more interesting if you used your own words. When I went to look up what the Cup is.. and I find that you've copy and pasted wikipedia here rather than ex-content/citing the work.. bleh.

Your original thoughts would be better! And THEN I get the droll wikipedia feedback.. and continue my travel from there. But still. . . definitely a flag for the interesting topic.

- Fim

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Fimbulvetr
Your original thoughts would be better! And THEN I get the droll wikipedia feedback.

What is original though is showing the connection between ancient scrying stones and the Holy Grail, and that was what my post was about.

The text copied from web pages were just to quickly explain what the Holy Grail, Scrying, and the Cup of Jamshid are, and I did not see any reason to rewrite those quotes to make them seem my own (as I'm no expert on those subjects). Those texts are also shown as "quoted" to further emphasise that these were not mine, the content that is not quoted are my own texts and thoughts, though.

Peace out.

MM.

edit on 13-3-2013 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MerkabaMeditation

See? That made for a much more interesting OP to read!

But I had never heard of the Cup of Jamshid before this.. so regardless of anything else, nice find!

top topics

join