It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Illusion of Humility

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

Exactly! You get it!

I wonder if everyone else who was railing on my view of humility got what I was saying... It's a difficult thing to explain because we are so entrenched in what we are used to believing.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

Nobody elses answers to questions really apply to you because what you see right will be what someone else sees as wrong.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

I don't know if we can attribute a right or wrong answer to any of this, but I do think some people can see more clearly than others.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wang Tang
reply to post by tetra50

Exactly! You get it!

I wonder if everyone else who was railing on my view of humility got what I was saying... It's a difficult thing to explain because we are so entrenched in what we are used to believing.

Well, hey, thanks. In that last post from me I did have a rather epiphanous moment as to what you were saying--you know, the lightbulb went off and everything.

I get it, and agree with what you are saying completely. And think it's a wonderful thread to get people to see the fine distinctions, but which are all important, between the two.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I had an idea of what this "illusion of humility" was when I wrote this OP but I wasn't exactly sure how to express it, but as I discussed this topic with this thread and re-read it the distinction between pride and humility has become much clearer to me, so I sincerely thank everyone that has participated in this thread so far.

If you accept this idea of humility as an outward moderation of pride, I wonder what religious implications this has?
edit on 25-11-2013 by Wang Tang because: above top secret

posted on Nov, 30 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wang Tang

I believe pride and humility are often misunderstood concepts, twisted by the influence of religions that seek to smother pride.

You shall have no other gods before me.

Pride is a feeling and therefore defies comprehensive definition. People's feelings differ.

Regardless of however you define it, my view is that some people do not know themselves well enough to accurately calculate their own level of pride. If some one tells them they are arrogant their reaction is that it is not so.

I propose a test.

Your reaction to the first commandment might (or might not) be one of two things. Your reaction is calm and peaceful and accepting. Or your reaction is stressful and disturbing. If you have no problem with the first commandment then you are humble. If it bothers you then you are arrogant.

The first commandment implies to me that pride is a sin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join