It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Want To Come To A Carnival With Me?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Hello!. Lets kill a bit of time. Lets forget about doom and gloom..Lets go to a carnival!

The Carnival Of Rio De Janeiro Brazil

This is definitely number one carnival in the world – the greatest and most colorful. Modern Brazilian Carnival originated in Rio de Janeiro in 1641, and has become an event of huge proportions. Every year, the carnival is held between 13th and 16th of February. It begins with the crowning of the Fat King (King Momo), who is presented with a giant silver and gold key by the city’s mayor. Then it is carnival all over the place, in the streets and squares, bars, clubs and all other venues, culminating is the Samba Parade, when the best samba schools in Rio march through the half-mile long Sambodromo theater in Rio – some of them paying as much as $1,000,000 to prepare for the big day and compete to be known as the best in Brazil. Up to 50,000 spectators come to watch, and the event is broadcast around the globe............

The Carnival Of Venice- Italy

The Venice Carnival is probably the second best known carnival in the world. It starts around two weeks before Ash Wednesday and ends on Fat Tuesday, or Mardi Gras. It consists of grand balls, concerts, dances, parades and other events. The participants tend to wear elaborate costumes and masks. This congregation of masked people began in the 15th century, but the tradition can be traced back to the beginning of the 14th Century. The Venetian Mask came into being because all the residents wanted to be treated equally, no matter how rich or poor they were. Today, approximately 30,000 visitors come to Venice each day for Carnivals.

The Nice Carnival- France

The Nice Carnival is one of the major carnival events, alongside the Brazilian and Venetian Carnivals. At the time of carnival Nice erupts into a citywide party, with parades in the daytime and evening and a large bonfire and fireworks on Mardi Gras itself. Flower processions, floats, and parties make Nice the place to be for carnival in France. On the first day, the King of carnival arrives at Nice’s Place Masséna in great pomp surrounded by revelers in deafening screams. On the first Sunday afternoon of festivities, the carnival procession is made up of twenty or more floats and as many as 500 ‘big heads’ (paper mache caricatures). On the final day, there is a parade of intense and colorful lights through the streets of Nice. Carnival in Nice was mentioned as early as 1294. Each year since the 1873 carnival Nice France has had a “committee for the parties,” to organize more spectacular floats, more grotesque and fabulous costumes, and a more stunning celebratory atmosphere.

The Santa Cruz Tenerife Carnival- Spain

The Carnival of Santa Cruz de Tenerife is one of the most important carnivals of the World. In fact the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife is twinned with the city of Rio de Janeiro for this reason. The party in the streets of Santa Cruz de Tenerife starts on the Friday before Carnival with a spectacular opening parade, which reaches its height during the night, when thousands of people in fancy dress dance until the early hours of the next day. The carnival has two different parts: The Official Carnival, and the Carnival in the Street. The official one has more than a hundred groups with over fifty components each one. For the Carnival in the Street, there is just the participation of the people in the party. Thousands of people come each day to the streets to participate wearing a disguise. Dance with the local orchestra’s tunes, the Caribbean rhythms, electronic music and music of the year betting throughout the night.

The Carnival Of New Orleans- USA

Mardi Gras is a popular American festival that started during the mid 1800s. It is another festival, in which American citizens take part to show their respect and support to the existence of the various cultures in the city. The color scheme is always purple, green and gold symbolizing justice, power and faith accordingly. It starts after Twelfth Night, on Epiphany (January 6). A masked ball is held each year to mark the occasion. Celebrations are concentrated for about two weeks before and through Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras in French), the day before Ash Wednesday. There is usually at least one parade every night starting two Fridays before Mardi Gras. Inexpensive strings of beads and toys have been thrown from floats to parade-goers since at least the late 19th century. More than four million people typically visit New Orleans during Carnival and Mardi Gras each year.

So there we have it. Just one question for you. Whos round is it next?....................Have a nice day where ever you are x

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Great post............I have been making my way around the world, but haven't got to South America yet, but can't wait...........

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Im sure south america will be welcoming for you

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I've always wanted to go to Rio for the carnival.
I'm saving money for a world trip im sure to stop there but dunno if its gonna be in carnival season

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

What a lovely thread you have created Doc!! I love the information I just obtained

New Orleans is not too far from where I am, but have never been to mardi gras. Always wanted to and I hear it gets super wild!

Thanks for the beautiful pictures with super bright colors that are pleasing to the eyes!

peace and love
~nat
I think the thing that fascinates me the most is the masks. I love masks.

edit on 12-3-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Thanks nat, If you ever get chance to go, You want to. Im sure it would be a great experience. It would be one colourful display. And im sure you could wear a lovely mask

new topics

top topics

join