Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Stunning time-lapse of Earth from the ISS

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
My jaw dropped when I saw this! Watch fullscreen and in HD.

Video: vimeo.com...

Article: www.slate.com...

ISS astronaut Don Pettit has taken many of the pictures used to create this video. He has lived on the station twice, totaling very nearly a year on board the orbiting platform. Accompanied with great info on the challenges of astrophotography aboard the ISS by Dr. Pettit, the shortfilm features a great compilation of 4 timelapses ("intro", "startrails", "fisheye" and "aurorae").

Screenshot

Green and purple city lights???
edit on 12-3-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Thanks for this thead. I just watched the entire 15 minutes or so. What struck me was, once again, seeing the fragility of the atmospheric layer, a layer which is very evident in the video. There is somehthing else that I noticed that relates to an entire thread I'd like to do (do you mind if I put up a thread and link this video and thread to it), and that is the predominance of nighttime and polar shots in this video. There is very little video or pics of the continents or land masses in the daytime. Why? My guess is that the desertfication of the planet, which is so far advanced that if everyone knew about it action may have to be taken on a worldwide scale, receives as little fanfare as possbile from NASA.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Great thread. I enjoyed that video very much.

S&F.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
There is somehthing else that I noticed that relates to an entire thread I'd like to do (do you mind if I put up a thread and link this video and thread to it), and that is the predominance of nighttime and polar shots in this video. There is very little video or pics of the continents or land masses in the daytime. Why? My guess is that the desertfication of the planet, which is so far advanced that if everyone knew about it action may have to be taken on a worldwide scale, receives as little fanfare as possbile from NASA.

Why do people like you always have to have a dig at NASA if you actually read the link on vimeo it said this.

Accompanied with great info on the challenges of astrophotography aboard the ISS

It's a video about ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY and the challenge of taking long exposure shots while traveling through space at 17,000 mph.

May be if YOU looked at a NASA thread without your preconceived ideas about NASA you would have read the info and not jumped to a conclusion

There are other videos looking at the Earth if you bothered to look for them.

For example after 10 seconds of effort!!!

edit on 12-3-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)
edit on 12-3-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
cool. spectacular imagery. makes me want to stay on the ISS for while.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I just found info about those green and purple lights.

Thailand's capital city, Bangkok, is the brightest-lit city in the video. The white lights of the city can be seen nearby the green and purple lights on the Gulf of Thailand, which are fishing boats and oil rigs.

eol.jsc.nasa.gov...

Wow!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

that link is cool. cheers.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Lovely thread, thank you so much!

As a photographer, and enjoying long exposure shots, this is truly beautiful. First time seen from space and is truly remarkable.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Hey, I can see my house!
Well, not really, but there's a moment in which I can see the town where I live.

These images are amazing, I would love to spend some time on the ISS.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

He looked like he was freaking out bad in the beginning of the vid.(around 1:20 - 1:45)

This↓one is kinda neat. It's different.

reply to post by ArMaP

Originally posted by ArMaP

Hey, I can see my house!
DO NOT go outside, until after your house is out of view. If you were to see yourself coming out of your house, it would screw up the whole spacetime continuum thingy. The repercussions would be catastrophic.
edit on 3/12/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join