Wow! Ancient Mars Could Have Supported Primitive Life, NASA Says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Wow! Ancient Mars Could Have Supported Primitive Life, NASA Says

news.yahoo.com

It's official: Primitive life could have lived on ancient Mars, NASA says.

A sample of Mars drilled from a rock by NASA's Curiosity rover and then studied by onboard instruments "shows ancient Mars could have supported living microbes," NASA officials announced today (March 12) in a statement and press conference.

The discovery comes just seven months after the Curiosity rover landed on Mars to spend at least two years determining if the planet could have ever supported primitive life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This comes at no surprise to me and I have said many times before that it's a no brainer that extraterrestrials exist. I have been a proponent of Panspermia and Directed Panspermia for years.

I think we dance around this subject too much. It's life and life adapts and evolves on different environments. We act as if we can't just treat this as science and not something that's an extraordinary claim or something that needs extraordinary evidence.

The problem also occurs with the egocentric view that life originated on earth. I think this is also silly and holds us back from the realization that life is not contained to earth.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It's not surprising as far as a possibility goes.

Then again, there's a difference between possibility and probability.

We've only had life on this rock for about 300 million years.
That's not much time at all on the cosmic scale of things.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neoholographic

Ever since we saw signs on the surface of Mars that water once flowed there, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that "Ancient Mars Could Have Supported Primitive Life" since liquid water is a key ingredient for most life forms we know of.

Still, it's nice to see Curiosity confirm what we already thought. But I'm not sure the "wow!" is justified...is anybody surprised by this?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

life has been here for billions of years.

The oldest known fossils are approximately 3.5 billion years old, but some scientists have discovered chemical evidence suggesting that life may have begun even earlier, nearly 4 billion years ago.

Source: www.pbs.org...
4th question down
edit on 12-3-2013 by blahxd67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by blahxd67

I stand corrected.
That doesn't come often.

Star for you, and more if I could give them.

Timeline of Life on Earth

I see where I mistook the dating in recalling the rise of reptiles and age of Dinosaurs as the 'beginning'.

edit on 12-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The reason this story should receive a "wow" is because it could very well be another step in discovering the origin of life on earth. The information itself isn't necessarily a huge revelation, but I think eventually finding out that our carbon based lifeforms originated as martians would really shake the biological science community. Who knows? Maybe it goes back much farther than mars.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Mars soil seems to be the perfect soil to grow plants,

"
The powder from the drilling turned out to have a wealth of chemicals in it, including sulfur, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and carbon. These are ingredients for life, scientists said.
"

Probably better than the # I am using here in Spain trying to grow my peppers

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I agree with the earth-centered view that the OP talks about. I have always thought it extremely selfish on human's parts to legitimately think that we are the only intelligent life out in the universe. The fact is that the universe is so massive that the human mind cannot even comprehend its size. And it's still growing...extremely quickly.

We may be the only intelligent life in existence right now, but humans will not exist forever, and we will be wiped out just like many other advanced civilizations like ours probably have before us, and will continue to be until the universe dies out.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

neoholographic nice share
. @ times on EA*RTH the digs require feet of excavations to see things covered. So in time even though it may be costly it may be a good idea to do areal/satellite robotic digs.

But these do not have to be physical digs as to not disturb. The intelligence in these types of digs require special scans of the MARS surface like being done somewhat with the MRO find of the underground MARS water ways etc. And maybe those finds will help build an even better data base on Aries/MARS.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Mars soil seems to be the perfect soil to grow plants,

"
The powder from the drilling turned out to have a wealth of chemicals in it, including sulfur, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and carbon. These are ingredients for life, scientists said.
"

Probably better than the # I am using here in Spain trying to grow my peppers

Too bad they didn't send a liter of water to Mars as part of the scientific experiments. Dump it on the soil, come back a week later for further analysis. Just to see if the initial analysis had changed.

Des

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

There have been many artificial drops from around the globe who have sent probes there etc. So maybe some have done this in the past and this helps encourage the interest in Mars. Good Idea though

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Nuuuuu,
Life has been on earth for upwards of 3.4 billion years in the form of prokaryotes...there is also speculation it was far more diverse than that...but fossil records of the time are of course difficult to come by

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Anyhow,
I was under the assumption this was already a given...not sure why..just seems that this hypothesis is as old as the hills.
It was almost considered confirmed in the 90s (anyone remember Clinton talking about confirmed life on mars..later redacted as it may have been tainted, but..even then it was not a giant leap from no possibility to maybe).

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

...onboard instruments "shows ancient Mars could have supported living microbes," NASA officials announced...

....ancient Mars could have supported living microbes," NASA

....could have.......... " NASA

Yup, its not official yet. But its highly likely that, at least the solar system will have microbial life. It is just that it is never official until they find samples and publish it. So far it just indications.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I have a question please let me know if it is at all plausible.
When the universe was created and the universe was expanding outward, was Mars ever the same distance from the Sun as we are now and if so couldn’t it have produced life but as it drifted farther out life died out and life on this planet started? And maybe someday millions of years from now we will drift away from the sun and Venus will have life instead?

Just a thought please don’t shoot me!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tluna1
was Mars ever the same distance from the Sun as we are now ?

It Mars @ that point was not in its solid form as of yet because a it would of been part of the material base here that was going to make up this SOL system... Thing is SOL was Created from a Nebula or Nursery of Stars and the material base could of collected as SOL was slowing / Stopping in a cool enough SPANCE area to allow the SOL system materials to collect as they cooled more. So during the slow down of SOL position to balance the SOL system it SOL may have been moving around the different planets @ times allowing for different Growth etc. This is possibly why there different attributes or chemical relations to SOL and the Planets and moons here. With the chemicals coming out in different Gas/Solid/Liquid forms Like methane gas here and Methane pools there.

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******
edit on 3/12/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Nasa is jelly over this: Astrobiologists discover fossils in meteorite fragments, confirming extraterrestrial life

They don't want to be second at saying life exists else where, it's not like we haven't known this all along. Other groups have just forced them to turn at least one card face up on the table.

In other news "Farts" may stink says one nasa chemical engineer.
edit on 12-3-2013 by vind21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It would be good if they could land a drilling rig up the to bore a hole down and take samples.

Maybe there is life on mars but due to the harsh environment, it's now located under ground. The springs that fed the rivers on the surface might have been intercepted under ground to prevent it from going to the surface...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think Mars may have had intelligent life at one time. Natural disasters may have wiped them out, similar to the dinosaurs or their planet changed so much that life couldn't be supported any longer i.e temp drop.

I am sure NASA knows if Mars had life or not. NASA = Never a straight answer.

-SAP-

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join