It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals found in stone.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   

During excavations being made for the Hartlepool waterworks in Durham, England, in 1865, workmen inadvertently freed a living toad from a block of magnesium limestone 25 feet below ground level. �The cavity [in which the toad had been contained] was no larger than its body, and presented the appearance of being a cast of it. The toad�s eyes shone with unusual brilliancy, and it was full of vivacity on its liberation. It appeared, when first discovered, desirous to perform the process of respiration, but evidently experienced some difficulty, and the only sign of success consisted of a "barking" noise, which it continues invariably to make at present on being touched. The toad is in the possession of Mr. S. Horner,, the president of the Natural History Society, and continues in as lively a state as when found. On a minute examination its mouth is found to be completely closed, and the barking noise it make proceeds from its nostrils. The claws of its fore feet are turned inwards, and its hind ones are of extraordinary length and unlike the present English toad...The toad, when first released, was of a pale colour and not readily distinguished from the stone, but shortly after its colour grew darker until it became a fine olive brown." A local clergyman and geologist, the Reverend Robert Taylor, expressed the opinion that the toad was 6,000 years old. At the last report (1865) the creature was to be given a place of honour in the Hartlepool Museum, its "primary habitation" - the rock - being provided for accommodation should it so desire. (The Leeds Mercury, April 8, 1865; as quoted in The Zoologist, 23:9630, 1865)

sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Anyone have an opinion on this strange phenomnum (spelling?) I found a few more similar stories from around the globe and the rocks in which they were found dont seem to have been mistaken for just a collection of mud or water thats gelled around the animals in a short space of time.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Optimus,
First time I have heard a story like that. Dont really know what to say about it, except see if the still have the pice of stone it came out of in England.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fettAnyone have an opinion on this strange phenomnum (spelling?) I found a few more similar stories from around the globe and the rocks in which they were found dont seem to have been mistaken for just a collection of mud or water thats gelled around the animals in a short space of time.

To say the least, this is what is called an anomalous 'fossil' in that it was found where it shouldn't be. There are actually alot more of these than evolutionists care to admit - I have a list of some of them on my site.

Guarrenty all evolutionists will say that this is a hoax because, otherwise, they would have to admit that that frog was placed in the stone while it was yet sand and that it lived encased for 400 million years - depending up on the 'age' of the host rock per man made dating methods.

www.uky.edu...

If this is actually a true story, the Reverand is off by about 2000 years as the flood occured about 4000 years ago.

Here is the deal. Before the flood there was a water vapor canopy around the earth that increased the barometric pressure by twice what it is today ("Biblical Basis for Modern Science" by Henry Morris). Metals forged at that pressure do not rust.

It would appear that the flood water immediately buried this frog at that pressure and the sand then was formed into rock due to the weight of the flood waters and the frog immediately went into a perfect hibernation in which it didn't need any air or food and thus was "frozen" in the rock.

When let out it was just like the frogs that come out of hibernation every spring.

And, though I don't know much about chemistry, I would suspect that the magnesium had something to do with the "perfect hibernation" that this frog, obviuosly, experienced.

Magnesium reacts only slightly or not at all with most of the alkalis and many organic substances, like hydrocarbons, aldehides, alcohols, phenols, amines, esters and most of the oils. Used as a catalyst, magnesium promotes organic reactions of condensation, reduction, addition and dehalogenization.

www.lenntech.com...

If the story is true, than this is the only explanation...

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Should be easy to confirm. Anyone here live in hartlepool? You could just pop into the museum and ask.

BTW was it hartlepool where they found some monkeys washed ashore from a ship wreck, and thought they were the french invading and killed them? - true story....

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
hi optimus..i see in your profile you live in portugal...i just wondered how you came across this tale of the frog. i live about 12 miles from Hartlepool an d will try and get to the museum,

the tale about the monkeys is true...the hartlepuddlians hung one of them..lol

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I have read lots of cases of toads and frogs being buried for hundreds of years, but wow, this one puts them to shame. Interesting post!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Here is more on the same subject. I think that they are talking about the same toad mentioned in the opening post.
encarta.msn.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

hi optimus..i see in your profile you live in portugal...i just wondered how you came across this tale of the frog

im originally from manchester,the story just came up when i was looking for some info on the thread.

Regards mate.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Here is more on the same subject. I think that they are talking about the same toad mentioned in the opening post.

its not actually but thanks for that anyway Kidfinger

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jesterbr549
To say the least, this is what is called an anomalous 'fossil' in that it was found where it shouldn't be. There are actually alot more of these than evolutionists care to admit - I have a list of some of them on my site.

It's alive.

It's not a fossil.

A fossil, if you'll recall, is something that has been turned from living flesh into rock. A mummy is something living that has totally dried out. If it hops around and croaks and is not dried out or rock, then it's alive.

Guarrenty all evolutionists will say that this is a hoax because, otherwise, they would have to admit that that frog was placed in the stone while it was yet sand and that it lived encased for 400 million years - depending up on the 'age' of the host rock per man made dating methods.

Actually, there was already a cavity in the rock and it had been used by the toad before for hibernation. This particular time when the toad hoped in, it got stuckand hibernates. They can hibernate for a fairly long time... I foget what the length of time is, but it's years. They can also squeeze their bodies into fairly tight areas.

No crushing/bending of the laws of science needed. The toad actually isn't all that old.

A5H

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I live about 20 mins away from Hartlepool. I have friends living there so I guess I'll try find out somemore for you guys.

Ash

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ByrdIt's alive. It's not a fossil.

A fossil, if you'll recall, is something that has been turned from living flesh into rock.

You don't say. Well, I guess that would explain those little 'quote' marks around the word 'fossil' huh?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ByrdActually, there was already a cavity in the rock and it had been used by the toad before for hibernation. This particular time when the toad hoped in, it got stuckand hibernates. They can hibernate for a fairly long time... I foget what the length of time is, but it's years. They can also squeeze their bodies into fairly tight areas.
No crushing/bending of the laws of science needed. The toad actually isn't all that old.

Really - you telling me that the frog carved a tunnel in solid magnesium limestone down 25 feet in order to set up shop?

During excavations being made for the Hartlepool waterworks in Durham, England, in 1865, workmen inadvertently freed a living toad from a block of magnesium limestone 25 feet below ground level. �The cavity in which the toad had been contained was no larger than its body, and presented the appearance of being a cast of it.'

Solid Rock means just that. If there was a fissure that lead to the cavity, it would have stated and there would have been nothing unusual about the situation.

I just joined a forum in that town and asked them about it and will let you know what I hear back from them...

[edit on 10/28/04 by jesterbr549]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
There are many documented cases of toads, frogs, and other small animals inexplicably found encased within solid rock still alive.

It seems there are no gaps in the stone that encases the animal and no place where the animal could have entered. But, one stone from one of these events survives, housed currently in the Brighton Museum, England. The stone (flint) has a tiny hole in it that was overlooked and was filled with silted chalk.

The base concept is that the animal crawls in the hole in the stone and the hole is filled by a soft mineral deposit. Many experiments have shown that some toads and frogs can survive prolonged periods inside of stone.

Really - you telling me that the frog carved a tunnel in solid magnesium limestone down 25 feet in order to set up shop?

Is this a rational logic jump based on what was said? You think the magnesium was 25 feet thick with the frog at the center? Perhaps more like 24 feet of dirt with a 1 foot stone near the bottom? You think the report was 100% accurate with no embellishment?

Consider this - researchers have found that the Wood Frogs of Canada can produce large quantities of glucose(a natural antifreeze that prevents the intercellular fluids from freezing), just before pooling their blood in the center of their bodies. Then they gradually slows their own metabolism, and freeze. Instead of going into a state of hibernation, they literally stop functioning. Their cardiovascular system completely stops (heart stops beating and lungs cease to function) and ice actually forms in their bodies. They are clinically dead for months and somehow, they resurrect like the Christ during the spring thaw.

The Wood Frog is known in Latin as the Rana Silvatica.

You can Google for more or check here:
www.npwrc.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

You think the magnesium was 25 feet thick with the frog at the center? Perhaps more like 24 feet of dirt with a 1 foot stone near the bottom? You think the report was 100% accurate with no embellishment?

I went with the facts stated in the article and am awaiting more information.

And, are you assuming there was embellishment of the situation.

I guess we will have to wait and see, huh. But while we are waiting, here is another article on this same subject that you all might find interesting.

www.mendhak.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ever seen a baby toad? The things are so small they look like a little bug. As a young toad it is very hard to stay alive, hence the reason toads lay 1000,s of eggs. The little toad probably crawled into a little crevice, feeding off of the insects and worms that had the same idea and entered into it's lair, thus getting bigger and unable to exit and becoming stuck. As a kid I have found a toad alot larger then the opening it was stuck in a rock pile. It is a fairly common event, which used to be blamed on witchcraft if i can recall. Nothing paranormal here

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Tibetan Buddhists believe such creatures are prisoners in one of the levels of hell found outside the main circles of hell.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Isnt there some sort of fish, that when the water dries up,it digs into the mud, goes into some sort of stasis....and the riverbed has been used as bricks for buildings and on the next HEAVY rain season(if i remember right....and sometimes this has taken years i think).the fish come back to life and slipslop outta the walls...i will try to find some info...good post

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

And, are you assuming there was embellishment of the situation.

On a story from 1865? You bet I am.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heratix
Isnt there some sort of fish, that when the water dries up,it digs into the mud, goes into some sort of stasis....

I think what you are talking about is the lungfish. Very interesting species.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join