It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I hate all religion.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
What about "Morality without Deity"? I was raised religious. Attended every Sunday and some during the week. As I got older and looked at religion as a whole (Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Atheists and others), I came to the conclusion that 'God' is one messed up individual or humans are.

I would like to propose that as a species, humans are polytheistic. Even among the major religions there are multiple 'Gods'. Oh, they call them by the same name but they can be as different as night and day. Let's take a quick look at Christianity. Mormons, Jehovah Witness, Catholics and Baptist, each says they are the way and the others are condemned to hell (I've seen and read the pamphlets). I've even heard it preached from the pulpit. I would even lay money down that there are those here on ATS who say to themselves 'Yeah, I can see why that sect would be damned'. The problem is that each of the mentioned sects believe in the Christian way. So then why do these Christian sects spend so much time and money trying to disprove each other?

Now, lets add in the other major religions and answer me one question. Which 'God' is the real one? Allah, Jesus, Yahweh or even Zeus? They can't all be the one. So at some point in life we each have to reach into the hat, pull out a belief and say "Yup, this is my 'God' now". Of course the person next to you will look at what you have chosen and be convinced you are damned to Hell.

So now convince me that your God, Entity, Spiritual Being looks at this whole thing and says 'This is the way it should be'. Now before you say 'Yes my God allows this because of this reason', so do all the others. So, there are either many gods or none.

Here is my proposal. Open a building and invite in the Muslim, the Christian, the Jew. Leave your 'God' at the door. Learn from each other. Each religion has wonderful and great teachings that we can all learn from. It is the 'Gods' that get in the way. Once we all learn that we are basically the same, despite our chosen 'God', then maybe we can stop most of the hatred.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yep, you said it. People give up all power and knowledge of themselves in search of something that is within you.. and in search of this "God", in my opinion, you distance yourself even further from the real you.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingTheWorld

Don't you find it strange how human these deities are made out to be? And yet they are superior. How does a superior being show such emotional susceptibility to human affairs?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Exactly. Maybe that is why children are starving around the world, but specific teams win sporting events. You need to consider what is important afterall.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

A gripe with me is the religious who get all 'old testament' in their writing and speech... they sound so self-important and humorless... all the "thees," "thous" and "begats" (when picking up other christians on dating sights, for instance... as in SWCM seeks god-and-husband-fearing woman for abasement, begetting and homemaking. Thou art free to leave a message...etc.)

Some "prophets" on this site frequently fall into that writing pattern... but it's a good indicator regarding who to avoid I suppose.

Of course, all dogma is bad... spirituality and curiosity isn't.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
reply to post by dogstar23

I probably just need to get out of the 'bible belt'.

Thanks for the reply

MOTF!

I've observed and heard from people in "bible belt" type places, and to me, they've all completely missed the point of their religion, so yeah, you're probably right, but hey, our experiences are partnof what shapes us. You've experienced the bleh side of religion, and thus, don't partake, but i'm sure you've got your own "spirituality", such as it were. Nothing wrong with that!

To add a bit more, I believe all religions are built (or maybe it is just the interplay with the nature of reality itself) to operate/exist on many levels of understanding, from the mundane (the folks who follow the "read it as it 'is' types), to the intensely mystical, deeper understanding individuals. The funny thing has always been to me, that it seems the "holier than thou" types are always the ones with the most base understanding of their spiritual system.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join