It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I hate all religion.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
A few minutes ago I was in a thread about Islamaphobia where I posted this.

You had me up to the point where you said "Firstly in the name of ALLAH". You probably had some very insightful things and the video, if it was there, was probably one of the best ever made. Unfortunately, I've had Jesus and God thrown at me enough throughout my life that I automatically stop listening when someone starts talking about him/her/it. Stop talking in the name of your God and start talking for yourself without shoving your religion down our throats.

It really got me thinking.....

I used to go to church when I was a kid. Really, the grandparents used to take me and I was just happy to be around them so I went wih it. Now, I'm 30 and deeply anti-religous.

What happened?

I think that religion has been shoved down my throat so much while growing up that I dispise it. People act like they are better than you because of the church they attend. You give the church money and then see the pastor driving away in his Benz. Hell, a few years ago I moved into a small village and everytime I tried to talk to a neighbor or even the lady at the trash drop off place all they could ask was "which church do you go to?" Really? Is a person defined by what church they attend? Of course when I told them that I hadn't attended chuch in a while and then told them, very respectfully, that I wouldn't be attending theirs, their whole demeanor changed towards me. I believe that there are some very good morals contained in the Bible, but not much else. Just because someone doesn't share your views on religion doesn't make them less of a person than you.

Then you get the people that say, "well our church is different". No...... No it isn't. Its the exact same as every other church.

Then, you have some religious people who think they represent the one ond only religion and all others are insane. These people are the worst in my book. The world would be better off without them. If your religion says that, because I don't subscribe to it, then you are better than me, then you are my enemy. Plain and simple. It could be the 'golden nugget' of all religions and it wouldn't get passed first base with me. I believe in letting everyone live their lives how they see fit. Nothing more, nothing less.

And for anyone who asks why I visit the religion forum while being anti-religuous.... It,s because there is a lot of prophecy containied within that, I'm sure, some nutjob would love to fulfill. That and its funny/ironic to watch hypocrites in action.

Mods: On second thought maybe this belongs in RANT. Please move accordingly.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I understand your frustration.

I will let Manly talk for me in this instance though.

A mature philosophy of life originates in a natural thoughtfulness. To live without thinking is to fail in the proper use of the powers and faculties with which we have been endowed. To think without applying our thoughts to the conduct of our affairs is to substitute mere intellectualism for intelligence. It is seldom possible to perfect a personal philosophy without study, through which we become familiar with the deepest and noblest convictions of mankind. We must also call upon daily experience by which we can convince ourselves of the reality and integrity of certain basic principles, ever-present and forever true. Beyond both study and experience are the internal faculties of the soul and these must bestow final certitude upon our convictions. If, therefore, we live simply and wisely, seeking first the improvement of our inner lives, reserving an open heart and mind, we shall be guided and directed according to our needs and understanding. Each person must discover his own philosophy of life, and it is not fair or right to impose our codes upon others. It is also our responsibility, however, to share one with another such experiences as may have common value. We desire, therefore, not to convert or convince, but to invite such a sharing with the sincere hope that some mutual good will be accomplished.

silver-wolves.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

My God forgives you.

Theirs won't.

(sorry. couldn't resist)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm not a fan of religion. I'm a fan of spirituality. Religion without spirituality is like a government without humanitarians - all the control, none of the relationship.

This is why it upsets me when people say "religion sucks" or "I hate religion". Maybe you could be more specific about it. What about religion displeases you so much? That way, we don't have to assume that you hate any and all kind of deep connections or relationships with this world and the cosmos. See, when someone tells me they don't like religion, it makes me think that they care nothing for anything outside of their little circle in life. That the universe means nothing, the planet means nothing, nothing means anything except that which concerns them directly.

People I know, who are spiritual, have this relationship with the very fabric of awareness. It gives them an understanding, a comprehension, that allows them to coexist peacefully with that which would otherwise disturb them. Atheists I have conversed with say that this is not necessary. They are comfortable with chaos and lack of meaning. I'm not. I see significance in places other people couldn't care less about.

But I guess what I'm saying here is...make sure you draw a line between religion and spirituality. They are not the same thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There is few posters on ATS, that will come to a religious thread, act like they hate it, and just before they finish their post, they add... "believe in ______, one and only who can save you" or they slightly hint how one religion is better than others.

Here is a distraction!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

LOL! The point is I dont want YOUR gods forgiveness. I want YOUR forgiveness. I don't need the percieved image of some big burly guy in your head to tell me its ok.

I know you were funnin' with me, so dont take whats above to heart. Its just the way I feel about people who cant say a complete sentence without 'praising him' or talking in some way about God/Allah/Jesus.

If I went around everywhere talking about my imaginary friend George I'd be locked up in the loony bin by now.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I guess I need to clear that up a little. I despise religion, not spirituality. I see religion as a bunch of retards claiming to be better than everyone else while doing the same things as others do.

I see spirituality as the yin to sciences yang.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I'm starting to think that's how some people make it through life. By telling themselves that they are somehow better than everyone else.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I have found personally that I must work on being tolerant of others belief systems. Its natural for people to have a "belief" in something or someone.

Like I said before I understand the frustration. You want people to be tolerant of your belief and so display tolerance for another's. It's easier said than done, but if we can stand to cooperate then we can be the change we want to see.

I hope this makes sense. I am not knocking how you feel, just offering another way in which to look and or feel.

I think each of us have a philosophy of life. It changes over time with study so one day you may be talking with someone who has a "God " of which is not tolerant, and the next day he is very tolerant. lol

If we do not grow in our philosophy it becomes molded and indecisive. We all seek to have an internal principle, and some call it God.... and an unforgiving one at that. It makes no sense to me, however I feel as though I must be tolerant to those ideas even if I do not agree.

I agree, you want others to be forgiving because you are forgiving. I get it.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I know that I'm not very good at voicing my feelings. I never have been. Personally I couldn't care less about what religion someone subscribes to. I just don't want to be inundated by it. I'm all for people living their lives how they see fit.

On the other hand. If your religion causes you to be violent or demeaning towards ANYONE else, you are my enemy.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I guess I need to clear that up a little. I despise religion, not spirituality. I see religion as a bunch of retards claiming to be better than everyone else while doing the same things as others do.

I see spirituality as the yin to sciences yang.

Science says "how", spirituality says "why". At least, that's how I understand it. At this point, we need to stop asking "how" because we don't know why yet. There's a good chance some of the "how"s are missing the "why"s that would have determined their necessity - or lack thereof.

In other words, we're trying to be gods without asking why. Why do we want this power? Why is that necessary? Why don't we find something better to do with it? Why aren't we finding something better to do with it?

All the questions we're not asking.
edit on 12-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

On the other hand. If your religion causes you to be violent or demeaning towards ANYONE else, you are my enemy.

No argument there from me.

I have had so many debates with the religious through the years that it doesn't bother me anymore. I have been ridiculed and demeaned so much by some that I just throw it out the door as ignorance these days.

They know not, and if they do, it's not for me to worry with. I just choose to have friends and be around those who do not hold their belief above mine. We are all the same..... trying to figure out the aged old questions.

Some believe they have figured it out. I say to those, no you haven't. It may take many lifetimes and even then, there are still many questions to answer. I have many revelations and think, "I know now". I THINK I know a little bit but then there are soooo many more questions yet to answer.

Listening to others speak on behalf of their God and what their God says, is done in ignorance. Not trying to offend anyone who is religious, just stating my view. Ignorance is like a child, they don't know any better and the hope is the child will grow and mature in wisdom.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I also understand your frustration with the church folk. I was born and raised in the church and was involved in church leadership at one point. On the church board as well as the youth pastor. My marriage fell apart and I separated from my wife. Eventually, against the counsil of my pastor, I filed for divorce and moved on. I was told that I was damning my soul to hell and that God would never take me back. So I basically said screw this and revolted against the church and my family.

I then experienced the other side of the church. Being shunned by the Holier than I, being preached at by my family, and feeling all alone. I've realized that church people are just that....people! they are stupid, ignorant, and self absorbed just like anyone else. I have yet to find a church that doesn't treat me different than the rest of the sinners.

I still have a relationship with God, it just doesn't involve a church right now.

Anyway, you prolly don't care about my life story but I shared it anyway. I really do know what your talking about.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Have I told you lately, "I love the way you think"!!?

Take it as yet another day telling you the same thing.

Why? I want to know!

Which is the root?

Why or How?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

If I went around everywhere talking about my imaginary friend George I'd be locked up in the loony bin by now.

MOTF!

It's Harvey. (The white rabbit). Not George.

You know what? Only the individual can find happiness, peace, contentment.

Some say God/god/goddess/gods/flying spag monster provides the tools for us to find it.

Maybe some are born with the tools and don't need help.

Maybe you're better off than the rest of us!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MrBigDave

Your life story is one of the main reasons behind this rant. You should be applauded for reinforcing the main idea of the OP.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There's only so much reviewing one can do of a product before he buy's it.

Left field... I know, but, whats the point of constantly going to church if one doesn't live by the principles contained therein?

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Why? I want to know!

Which is the root?

Why or How?

Why should always come before the how, just like necessity should always come before the action.

Oh, and thank you for the kind words.
edit on 12-3-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'm wondering if being anti-religious means you have to be 'anti-belief-in-God'. I personally don't believe in God - most of the time at least - but can fully understand people that do.

You see, so many of the reasons that people use to 'disprove' God's existence hinge on the belief that we as humans are adequate reasoning machines. However, the simple fact is that we're not. Our reasoning is based on logic, but we have no way of knowing that our logic is not riddled with fallacies. In fact, we have no know way of truly knowing anything, save knowing that we exist. If you think about it, 'my' existence (yours as you are reading this) is the only true thing we can know. This was shown by Descartes, in his very famous and oft misquoted line 'I am thinking; I exist'. His argument ran 'If I think I exist, I must exist, because if not, and something is tricking me into thinking I exist, then it must be tricking something. Therefore I exist'.

But this unarguable fact that I exist does not allow me to deduce anything else from it. One single fact cannot give rise to more facts. The extent of human knowledge is that whoever thinks they exists, exists, and is limited thus far.

So if we know so little, how can we presume that we know any reasoning or logic to be correct? Of course, if our logic is flawed, then the argument for existence could also be flawed, because it too is based on logic. But that simply strengthens the claim that we can never know something to be truly proved or disproved, even if 'shown' so by logic. Our reasoning is so open to fallacy that there is no way any human is qualified to argue the existence of God.

edit on 12-3-2013 by SeekTheTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekTheTruth101

I may sound crazy after all I just said, but I feel the same. I believe there is something more than ourselves I just dont choose to call it by any name. So, I guess im deeply anti-religuous while being pro-spirituality. I believe you can absolutely have one without the other.

MOTF!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join