Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Why Are Giant Sinkholes Appearing All Over America? Is Something Happening To The Earth’s Crust?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Why are there so many latley? It seems that they have been happening all around the globe more and more.

Where are all of these giant sinkholes coming from? Of course there have always been sinkholes, but over the past few years it seems like both the severity and the number of giant sinkholes has been increasing dramatically. So exactly why are so many giant sinkholes appearing all over America all of a sudden? Is something happening to the earth’s crust, or is there some other explanation? The “experts” are blaming this epidemic of sinkholes on things like loose soil, acidic groundwater, new construction, leaky water pipes, coal mines, fracking, long periods of drought followed by rain, and depletion of underground aquifers, but do they really understand what is going on? On Thursday, a 37-year-old man named Jeffrey Bush living near Tampa, Florida died when the earth underneath his home suddenly opened up and swallowed him alive. His brother tried to help him when he heard Jeffrey screaming, but it was too late. The entire bedroom was sucked deep into the earth and the home had to be rapidly abandoned. Now authorities are admitting that he will probably never be found. So is this type of thing really “normal”? It would be one thing if this was just an isolated incident, but the truth is that giant sinkholes have been appearing with increasing frequency all over the planet lately. Could this be an indication that major earth changes are on the way?

Here is the link for that article.

It could be nothing and the experts could be right, but I have my doubts. I can't help but wonder if the planet is indeed going through major changes and this is a part of that change. I just recently read another story about a random sinkhole here in the US about a golfer getting swallowed up on the course.

Golfer survives after sinkhole opens underneath him at Illinois course

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the mortgage broker from Creve Coeur, Mo., is recovering after a sinkhole opened up beneath him Friday on the 14th hole's fairway of a southwestern Illinois golf course, swallowing him up into a pit 18 feet deep and 10 feet wide.

These seem to be becoming common place, which is weird if you ask me.

Hopefully someone with some insight on this can shed some light as to why this is happening so much.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight
Why are there so many latley? It seems that they have been happening all around the globe more and more.

You cited two examples, but your assertion isnt proven...
- that the sinkholes are "all over" the world (or America, you dont seem to clear on which one)
- that it is happening more and more.

Edit - the link you provided is being rather misleading in at least one respect... highlighting that insurance claims have increased in Florida, but then deliberately choosing to NOT mention the explanation given in the article they themselves cite.
Lost any credibility there.
edit on 12-3-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
When energy is added to the earth it quickens. This usually requires water and salt when dealing with natural events like sinkholes. currents are formed that draw water up, this energy can come from various sources. This quickening is well known of, it is the basis of how sand and stone flow down shoots or travel along conveyer belts in industries. It is about the fluidity that works the hour glass. Once it starts it can be perpetual, feeding itself like a landslide or avalanche.

Many sources can supply the energy that these things need to form and a sinkhole also needs somewhere for the ground to go, like an underground cavern. Existing Water in the cavern can also add to the problem. I do not know if oils possess this ability but we have a lot of old oil wells filled with water now.
edit on 12-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Duh, the crab people are coming!

Hollow Earth and whatnot...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Very strange indeed! We should also factor in all the fairballs, earthquakes, volcanos, ect. I think mother earth is pissed off at how we treated her and is trying to cleanse herself.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by solongandgoodnight

Florida always has had sinkholes.
fcit.usf.edu...

here's a site with them outlined.

Not that it's new. Just not reported. I mean really unless a sinkhole eats you. There's nothing very sensational news wise to report. It's just a big hole in the ground.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I would seriously debate the idea that it's happening more than it really has before outside of infrastructure accidents like water leaks/erosion.

I think we have people living almost everywhere these days, to a level not seen in the past where these can be common. So, what may have always been happening and gone unremarked for lack of direct impact is now major news and major impact on everyone for the coverage. You'd think the ground could just open up and swallow anyone whole, without any warning at all. (Which it..technically CAN..I suppose ...but I CAN win the Powerball this week too. My odds are better I think)

I'm not sure we can even answer the question of frequency outside finding old ones ...but nature finds balance and level to fill things like this in over time. So even trying to back-fill an empty record of past happenings isn't realistic. I'd just avoid worry unless you live in an area known for this happening...and then be aware at the necessary level for education.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
edit on 12/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Can't answer your question OP, but I just thought it was quite the coincidence for you to post this today and I was actually watching a youtube video about this very subject last night. I don't have the link right now (at work) but I will search for it when I get home tonight and post it here.

There was a small sink hole about 60ft from my house last summer...the city workers said it was due to a water main that broke...could be I guess. But I never had water issues?!? They filled in the hole, paved over it and has been fine since then.

I am glad though because this this was about 4 ft wide and 8ft deep.....right at the edge of my property. If it would have grown, it would have been pretty dangerous for us!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
They can be pretty handy for getting rid of junk. Old fridge out the back you want gone? Throw it in the sinkhole.

With approx 314milion people in the US I wouldn't be too concerned just yet with only 1 person dead from falling down a sinkhole.

You should be more afraid of getting hit by lightning or winning the lotto.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Sinkholes have been a commonality for a long long time.. I haven't seen any evidence of the number increasing.. Florida has been riddled with them for a VERY long time.. But as per usual, when something less common happens like one forming directly under someone's bed resulting in a death.. the news jumps all over it.

Sinkholes are an understood phenomena..

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

it's not that i'm afraid, there just seems to be a lot of reports in the news. why so sudden? they never really made news much in the past. or maybe they did and i just missed it. who knows.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
Can't answer your question OP, but I just thought it was quite the coincidence for you to post this today and I was actually watching a youtube video about this very subject last night. I don't have the link right now (at work) but I will search for it when I get home tonight and post it here.

There was a small sink hole about 60ft from my house last summer...the city workers said it was due to a water main that broke...could be I guess. But I never had water issues?!? They filled in the hole, paved over it and has been fine since then.

I am glad though because this this was about 4 ft wide and 8ft deep.....right at the edge of my property. If it would have grown, it would have been pretty dangerous for us!

Water main breaks are common causes for a sinkhole.. and it makes perfect sense, and just because a water main broke doesn't mean it would have interrupted water to you, it all depends on how the water is channeled in your area. You may very well be tapped into a different source with a different main. A water main busted right in front of my house several years back and flooded the street but my next door neighbor had water while we didn't =)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Accidental double post .. please delete =)
edit on 3/12/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by solongandgoodnight
reply to post by lacrimaererum

it's not that i'm afraid, there just seems to be a lot of reports in the news. why so sudden? they never really made news much in the past. or maybe they did and i just missed it. who knows.

Because someone fell into one that formed below his bed resulting in his body essentially vanishing into the earth.. he was never found.. That is a rare thing and was therefore picked up by news everywhere. This happens with most sensational stories.. Like the face eater! As soon as that happened the media was in a frenzy reporting all the cannibal cases in the world, even past ones. It made it seem like there was a sudden burst of cannibalism in the world when in reality it was pretty much the same as it's always been. Same thing is happening with sinkholes now.. they are a "trending" topic so they are more likely to make the news even if they are minor.

It's rare for people to be injured by sink holes.. they usually form away from people, or people are lucky and aren't home at the time it happens.. You're probably more likely to be struck by lightning.
edit on 3/12/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sinkholes in 2013

Here is a website listing some of the sinkholes so far for 2013. Worth a look really.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Water main breaks are common causes for a sinkhole.. and it makes perfect sense, and just because a water main broke doesn't mean it would have interrupted water to you, it all depends on how the water is channeled in your area. You may very well be tapped into a different source with a different main. A water main busted right in front of my house several years back and flooded the street but my next door neighbor had water while we didn't =)

That does make sense! I always thought that each street had their own water main to tapp into...I guess you learn somthing new everyday! lol

But they are definitely a very comon reason for sinkholes. From listening to the news when they happen and all. quite often this is the reason given.

Thanks miniatus
edit on 12-3-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Seriously didn't anyone else see the Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer?

Galactus is coming is all...the FF will defeat him...er OH WAIT WE HAVE NO FANTASTIC FOUR!

PANIC!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I will give you the reason, it's pretty clear and evidient from current events.

THE EARTH SUCK'S

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is the video I was talking about. Its not only about sinkhole but they mention a lot of them. Even a few I had not heard of before. It's only 14:44 long. Worth a watch!

I found it pretty interesting. But that's just me

new topics

top topics

join