It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The left lane is for PASSING you idiot!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

You are correct, no matter how offensive you're trying to be, however, speed limits are there for a reason. Part of that reason is fuel mileage. Back in the Gas Crunch days of the late 70's they implemented the 55mph speed limit to save fuel, because at the time, most cars had a three speed automatic transmission, and 55 was the most economical speed on average. Modern vehicles, however, usually get their best mileage at a sustained 70 mph, due to their taller top gear. The 'sweet spot", fuel economy wise, for most engines is arount 1200-2200 rpms, most modern vehicles are well below that at 55, causing more strain on the engine to maintain that speed. Therefore if the speed limit is 65, and you're not driving a deep-geared muscle car, then you'll get better mileage at 65, driving under it won't save you any gas. The old adage "the slower you drive, the more gas you save" is a left over from the 30's when the Model A Ford was the most common, it was true then, since 45 horsepower and short gears are only going to get worse fuel mileage the faster you go, so running 35 is ideal. However, say you're driving a Honda Civic, pretty common car, your highway mileage at 70 will be around 40 mpg, but if you went the same distance at 50, you'll get around 30 if your lucky.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dave_welch

I see -- so it's someone's fault for obeying the law when others refuse to obey the law; it's their fault that an accident occurs?

That is some evil logic there. "I better let people tell me what to do, and I better proceed to break the law or get out of their way so they can break the law, or else there will be an accident!"

No.

And sure, there are some who purposefully try to use their "power" to hold people up. Their hearts are no better. But it's also a witness against you that you see that and continue in hypocrisy to claim that they should just "get out of your way".

If you have to speed to get to where you are going, that is your fault and your fault alone. It is not the fault of others.

As well, you prove that you allow your gas mileage to determine for you what speed you think you should be going, instead of the safety of yourself and others. So then you are more worried about money than what is actually good for you and those around you.

Yeah, I know. I don't think that most of y'all have bad hearts; I just think you have slow minds, and you're unwilling to care about others beside yourself. (unless, of course, it's for a labeled cause; then you'll be totally behind that banner, won't you?)

You know, being wise is a state of being; it's not a random act you perform a couple of times a day.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I'm not trying to be offensive. I don't want anyone to feel hurt. I just want people to think and to care. But I understand how you could believe that.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Not at all, we were talking about people driving under the speed limit, not those driving the speed limit and causing traffic to back up, if you're tailgaiting somebody who's doing the speed limit, then you're a moron. If however, somebody is driving below the speed limit, they will impede traffic, as everybody else is trying to follow the posted signs and keep traffic flowing.

If you're driving too slow, you're more likely to cause an accident than if you're driving the speed limit.

ETA: The whole point of the thread is people driving slow and taking up the "fast lane". The point of that lane is for passing. Driving in that lane, and not passing anybody is doing nothing but holding everybody up, The right or middle lane are more there for maintaining your speed. You're not even supposed to drive in the "fast lane" unless you're passing somebody. If you're not, you're only helping to slow the flow of traffic and cause more congestion.
edit on 14-3-2013 by dave_welch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

63 is acceptable. You know that.

This case is a joke; but more importantly it is a witness against people that our hypocrisy runs deeper than we think.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
You know what also really grinds my gears?!!!

Those people who hit the brakes before every corner on single lane roads?

I like to pay less for fuel and less on my brake pads, so when i see a corner i cant take at the speed im going safely, i back off the gas and glide round no brakes needed.

Some people drive the speed limit till the last second, brake, turn, back heavy on the gas. Now its not their wasted money or the seconds they might gain on the trip that bugs me, its the fact that when i see brake lights (esp when unnecessary) startle me for nothing or even cause me to brake as a reflex! Theres more to driving than just pushing the controls.

That bothers me too ! I have a 2006 Subaru with 23000 miles on it, and I still have the factory brake pads. It also has a manual tranny which helps. I let my gears hold me back when I can. I know some people with manual transmissions that doesn't even know what that means.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Agreed, I would go so far as to say 3-5 mph in either direction is acceptable due to speedometer inaccuracies. Which is the reason most police officers won't pull a person over if they're going 5 or less over the speed limit.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_welch

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Well, that's the key - impeding traffic in the lane, not simply driving in it! There are people that deliberately drive more slowly than the rest on the road, because they think they have a right to determine the speed of others. More that refuse to allow anyone to pass them, no matter how fast they are going (or how slowly!), and who will block passing vehicles just to be "in front". Highly annoying!

As a side note, LOVE your avatar!
edit on 13-3-2013 by LadyGreenEyes because: added reply

Yeah, the ones that try to keep me from passing on a two-lane usually aren't very successful as my Firebird has quite a lot of "balls". But still, speed limits are there for a reason, either drive the limit, or get over for those who are trying to. I get better mileage at 55 or 65 than I do at 45 or 50. And at 12mpg at $3.50 a gallon, I can't be letting the roadhogs determine my mileage. There's a reason you can get ticketed for "impeding traffic" you cause everyone behind you to get bunched up, thus making accidents more likely.

And yeah, Han Solo is one of my favorite fictional characters, I've started a thing where I change my avatar to another one of my favorites every 2 months or so. It's just about time to change this one, I think.

Oh, I can be pretty serious about getting around clowns, too, and I know how to use a good engine. Loving the current one, a nice, big V-8, which I really didn't have in the previous vehicle. With the mileage I get, I have little tolerance for idiots that want to burn my gas. With the case from the OP, I suspect she was actually blocking traffic, and ticketed for being in a passing lane, not passing, and not for her speed, as she claims.

Ah, Han Solo....truly one of my all-time favorite characters! I actually designed a Battletech character, female, after his personality. Always had a thing for Han. It's Ford's adorable crooked smile, i think.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
The entire first page of this thread is proof of the lack of justice in the hearts and minds of people.

It's a stumbling block. How can you people be so selfish?

65 is the speed limit. That means you may not legally exceed that speed -- even if you are in the "fast" lane.

63 is absolutely perfect. Speed, for most, is about +-2 of their hovering base, which means this person was going anywhere from 61-65 the whole time.

Not to mention, 65 is the MAX speed limit, not the minimum-- and on any portion of the road, especially most highways in the United States, the minimum is generally 40 miles per hour. The sign that is there for us to read that says, "Slower traffic keep right" -- that's a request and a suggestion... Not a law.

But even if it was a law, 63 IS fast, and the slower lanes may go lower, even unto 40-45 miles per hour.

You are very spoiled, whiny, impatient, and well... pretty much useless children. The lot of ya.

At least, that's the image you're putting on for those that actually care about justice --- which of course, a lot of you will gripe about.

But look how quickly you take for granted what you have! That you are given leeway and allowed to speed a little (even though it just further solidifies the potential for death in any given accident, but what does that matter if you get home 5 minutes earlier today than yesterday!) -- You would get beheaded in Saudi Arabia for speeding and then complaining like a spoiled brat; and you know it!

And then you want to complain that the woman is shocked that she is punished for OBEYING the law?

How backwards can this civilization possibly get before people grow up and think about somebody besides them self; and further, how hypocritical can this nation get? America needs to be renamed "ACME Land" because y'all are a bunch of looney toons.

And somehow the ass who is holding up miles of traffic because they have no common courtesy or some need to police others isn't selfish? This isn't about one side vs. another it's about common courtesy.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

This is not about common courtesy.

If it was about common courtesy, then everyone would have extended the courtesy to the woman that she was free to drive in which lane she pleased as long as she was not breaking any laws.

You witness against yourself again.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Agreed, I would go so far as to say 3-5 mph in either direction is acceptable due to speedometer inaccuracies. Which is the reason most police officers won't pull a person over if they're going 5 or less over the speed limit.

And I think that is the case upon which this thread is founded, is it not?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

No, the person the Op was reffering to was driving under the speed limit in the fast lane. That is the problem, impeding the flow of traffic because you don't know how to drive right.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta
reply to post by MaMaa

This is not about common courtesy.

If it was about common courtesy, then everyone would have extended the courtesy to the woman that she was free to drive in which lane she pleased as long as she was not breaking any laws.

You witness against yourself again.

I disagree. Courtesy would be to not block the way, just as courtesy would not be to ride their ass. For me it comes down to courtesy on both sides of the argument. Don't ride someones ass when they are doing the speed limit, it's just rude and it's dangerous. However it would be courteous of the person holding up traffic to just move out of the way.

I admit slow drivers or drivers who hold up miles of traffic are highly annoying and I consider them to be very rude and inconsiderate of other drivers. On the other hand I'm sure as hell not going to ride their ass or be a jerk about it in anyway. I just wait it out and get around them when I am able. Then I make sure to not do what they are doing so as not to annoy other drivers myself. This is not to say I'm some sort of speed demon mind you, but around here we have 75mph on the interstates and people will very often hold up traffic for miles by going 60-65 in the left lane keeping steady with other slow drivers in the right lane. My pet peeve is the canyon near my house, that one the speed limit is around 35-40 which I feel is a good and safe speed. I sometimes go a few miles over, but I am also experienced at driving this particular canyon. However you will quite often have someone going 20-25 up through the canyon for various reasons I'm sure, but it creates a huge traffic jam all the way up or down the canyon with no way for anyone to pass for the most part. To me that is not courteous at all, just as it is wrong for the idiot behind said slow driver to ride their ass.

If I see out of state plates, a young driver, or an elderly driver I am typically fairly forgiving and assume they are just afraid to drive in the canyon, but you betcha ass I'm going to pass them the first chance I get!

Manners is all it really is, manners and courtesy on both sides of the argument. It doesn't have to be either or.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

While I usually don't play the tricks on those riding my bumper - I can do something unique when it comes to the blow-past lanes - My car can go from 0 to 25 almost instantly (I suspect there's something wrong with the acceleration, as after it hits 25 the speed goes at a more normal pace). Once, a driver with a newer mustang must've thought I was trying to race him, because he had to get over, and I let my car do what it normally does - his look was of pure awe when he realized that he couldn't pass the small, old car with a measly engine (Truth be told - he did try to pass, but there was a car going slower in that lane - I let the slow person in
).

The ones that really bother me are those that not only speed & swerve around you, but are either texting or swearing & presenting the longest finger they own (or sometimes two, if they are feeling vindictive). When that happens, my favorite trick in the book is to motion in the persons direction when a cruiser is nearby.

-Fossilera

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Which kinda makes the 'meat' of the OP completely obsolete...since no-one till yet has mentioned speedometer inaccuracies...and how other drivers could be aware of this 3-5 mph difference, in relation to either a 'slow lane' or a 'fast lane'...

Surely, the road rules also require that (apart from seriously slow driving) driving to 'conditions', and in a safe manner is paramount?!

Most drivers around the world, coccooned in thier 'false-sense-of-security', me-mobiles...wanna do what they wanna do...and if someone gets in thier way of doin' this...something like a 'driving slowly' rule gets pulled out...clearly, if two vehicles, facing each other and stationary, can collide - we can deduce that going slowly to the point of not moving at all, is dangerous...sound ridiculous? What changes the equation to make it sound correct?...that's right, movement...and at every @5mph increment, the damage that could be incurred, is exponentially increased...the red herring of following the flow of traffic does nothing to alter the speed of stationary objects around you..i.e. a tree, or electricity pole...years ago, I witnessed a high performance mustang, travelling at breakneck speed in blinding fog, down a german autobahn ('cos this is allowable)...the retard planted himself and his car in haybarn further on down the road...sounds safe to me...luckily, no-one else was involved...as far as I'm concerned, this equates to premeditated murder by stupidity (if others are killed)...legal or not...it is a abnegation of responsibility to other road users (you know, the ones that also pay to be on the road)...

In my experience, raising a speed limit...means that this speed limit will be exceeded anyway by at least 30 % of drivers...the 'driving to road conditions', and following the more important laws, means that, 100% of drivers around these vehicles are put at mortal risk...and OP wants to quibble about a 3-5 mph difference...stunning...

A99

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

You would get beheaded in Saudi Arabia for speeding

Having lived there, I don't think they really have traffic "laws" as such...maybe more like traffic suggestions... I've seen them turn a 4 "lane" road into 10 staggered lanes, no problem. Of course, I also saw fatality traffic accidents nearly every other day... Absolutely insane....

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I am so glad this thread is here FA
I almost got suckered into posting my own fast lane slow driver rant in the good ol post a funny pic thread...thankfully I saw you link your thread here.

So now I don't have to be a jerk in a perfectly good thread and get my posts banned.

Now that I'm here.

TOTALY TOTALY HATE slow drivers in the fast lane...I have a pushbar on my truck...and have been very tempted to use it...however I am not one to get violent ... but seriously...

GET THE HELL OUT OF THE FAST LANE YOUR SLOW @$$ IDIOTS!!!

That's all I have to say about that

X

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

LOL we don't have this problem in Detroit. Go down I-75 going less than 80 in any lane and you might get RAN OVER!!!

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join