It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MALARKEY: The dubious origins of the St Malachy prophecies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
First off, there really was a Catholic Saint named St Malachy. He was an Irish bishop who had hoped to reform the Irish Church to restore more discipline into the ranks and he was a buddy of St Bernard (The Catholic saint, not to be confused with the Swiss rescue dog)

During three years at Armagh, as St. Bernard writes, St. Malachy restored the discipline of the Church, grown lax during the intruded rule of a series of lay-abbots, and had the Roman Liturgy adopted.

St. Bernard continues: Having extirpated barbarism and re-established Christian morals, seeing all things tranquil he began to think of his own peace. He therefore resigned Armagh, in 1138, and returned to Connor, dividing the see into Down and Connor, retaining the former. He founded a priory of Austin Canons at Downpatrick, and was unceasing in his episcopal labours.

Early in 1139 he journeyed to Rome, via Scotland, England, and France, visiting St. Bernard at Clairvaux. He petitioned Pope Innocent for palliums for the Sees of Armagh and Cashel, and was appointed legate for Ireland. On his return visit to Clairvaux he obtained five monks for a foundation in Ireland, under Christian, an Irishman, as superior: thus arose the great Abbey of Mellifont in 1142. St. Malachy set out on a second journey to Rome in 1148, but on arriving at Clairvaux he fell sick, and died in the arms of St. Bernard, on 2 November.

Catholic Encyclopedia

Funny thing is, in most biographies of St Malachy, no mention is made of his prophecies, other than a footnote. St Bernard, his good buddy, never mentioned them and it wasn't until 400 years after his death that they turned up.

The most famous and best known prophecies about the popes are those attributed to St. Malachy. In 1139 he went to Rome to give an account of the affairs of his diocese to the pope, Innocent II, who promised him two palliums for the metropolitan Sees of Armagh and Cashel. While at Rome, he received (according to the Abbé Cucherat) the strange vision of the future wherein was unfolded before his mind the long list of illustrious pontiffs who were to rule the Church until the end of time. The same author tells us that St. Malachy gave his manuscript to Innocent II to console him in the midst of his tribulations, and that the document remained unknown in the Roman Archives until its discovery in 1590 (Cucherat, "Proph. de la succession des papes", ch. xv). They were first published by Arnold de Wyon, and ever since there has been much discussion as to whether they are genuine predictions of St. Malachy or forgeries. The silence of 400 years on the part of so many learned authors who had written about the popes, and the silence of St. Bernard especially, who wrote the "Life of St. Malachy", is a strong argument against their authenticity, but it is not conclusive if we adopt Cucherat's theory that they were hidden in the Archives during those 400 years.

Catholic Encyclopedia: Prophecies

The prophecies, conveniently turned up at a time when there was great interest in Nostradamus and astrology and divination captured the minds of the people of that time. They were amazingly accurate right up to the date in which they were discovered but, after that, were increasingly vague, almost as if written for some astrology column, just cryptic and vague enough so anyone could stretch them to fit their own circumstances.

Be Not Afraid: Catholic Families and the Prophecies of St. Malachy

That the prophecies are attributed to St. Malachy are an example of Pseudonymity. The author adopted the name of a real saint — but one who was not too well known — to publicize his texts more widely. The “Prophecies of Joe the Curial Bureaucrat” did not have quite the same ring to it. Pseudonymity was a common tactic in the pre-modern world, but was quickly falling out of favor. One needs only recall the Gnostic gospels as an example (“A gospel by Thomas the Apostle? I’d better read that!”) Further, this was an age that was hungry for prognostications, the most famous of which were those of Nostradamus. Astrology and divination of all sorts fascinated even some of the greatest minds of the period. In that sense the “prophecies” are perfectly suited to their time.

When one begins to consider the contents though, the problems multiply. A person who picks up the “prophecies” will be astounded at how spot-on accurate they are until one arrives at 1590. After that they turn into short, vague utterances that a local horoscope page would be embarrassed to print: “Undulating man,” “Religious Man,” “from a good religion.” These are a selection of the absurd post 1590s entries, which many have correctly called unworthy of the name “prophecy.” To take one egregious example, the phrase “Farm Animal” was supposed to apply to the brilliant light of learning, Benedict XIV. I am surprised the author did not include “Tall Dark Stranger” in his list.

Our forger eventually got bored around entry 112. Safely out of range of his lifetime, he brought the work to a quick end with an obligatory apocalyptic reference to Peter II (Peter the Roman). Unfortunately for us, we are currently on entry 112, leading to an efflorescence of worry and warnings to get ready for the end times. The only positive thing I can say about this is that finally — after our next pope has ended his reign — we will hear no more about this issue. When the new pope is announced however, many will try feverishly to shoehorn that person into the mold of “Peter the Roman.” (Is his Baptismal name Peter? Does he like “Rock” music? Is he “Roman” Catholic?)

Human Life International

So, sorry to break it to you but, this end of the world prophecy is about as valid as Y2K and the Mayan calendar and anyone hoping for the end of our suffering in this world after this pope is bound to be disappointed.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This Whole thread is a bunch of MALARKEY!

S&F

edit on 12-3-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I do not take much stock in non-scriptural prophesy and interpretations can often be a slippery slope. But there were some of Malachy's(or whoever wrote them) phrases that seem to hit the nail on the head.

I call to your attention:

John Paul I -Of the half moon. His reign lasted from half moon to half moon.

John Paul II- From the labour of the sun / Of the eclipse of the sun. Solar eclipse on date of birth and date of funeral

Benedict XVI- Glory of the olive. His chosen name, from the Benedictines; Olivet sect.

Someone wrote this, be it Malachy or a forger. Still, some of the similarities are interesting.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
So st Malachy = "Peter the Roman"
Nosradamus = "A black Pope". Hmmmm, I think I`ll hedge my bets on this round!

S n` f.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It could be very likely that the "Prophecy of the Popes" may not have originated with St. Malachy, though that does not mean we should automatically rule out the possibility that some group, person or entity may be pushing for it to become a self fulfilling prophecy as it has in past. For this reason, I feel it may still play a potential part in historical events to come and is no less relevant at this time! However, if the next Pope dies or leaves office and another Pope is elected, then yup....Malarkey!

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Years ago, some French experts have concluded that the prophecies of St Malachy were in fact from NOSTRADAMUS! It explains many things you are talking about. He used the St Malachy name to avoid the wrath of the Church.

In addition, PETRUS ROMANUS could be just the name of THE PAPACY ITSELF as if it was no more important to personaly describe each pope after Benedict XVI (Gloria Olivae) since a great event related to the END TIMES would change the world beliefs such as the coming of someone like the Christ's PARACLET / GREAT MONARCH / KING ARTHUR / CROWNED WHITE HORSEMAN, and THE EXTRATERRESTRIALS.

edit on 13-3-2013 by alex45 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2013 by alex45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The new pope is from Argentina, the new world, and has taken the name "Francis I".

Lets see them try to twist THAT into fitting the Peterus Romanus prediction.

On the other hand, he is a Jesuit so we now have a Black Pope. Or maybe two black popes since that's what they call the head of the Jesuit order.

I'm so confused.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I half wondered if they were doing it deliberately, to frustrate the prophecy and the prophecy-watchers
Also, since he is an older man, it might not be long before he has a successor, which would kill the prophecy off altogether.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I've had a fresh thought.
I've been grumbling all evening about the unnecessary use of "the first" in the Pope's title.
But what if it is a deliberate smack in the eye for those who thought he would be "the last"?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

The new pope is from Argentina, the new world, and has taken the name "Francis I".

Lets see them try to twist THAT into fitting the Peterus Romanus prediction.

On the other hand, he is a Jesuit so we now have a Black Pope. Or maybe two black popes since that's what they call the head of the Jesuit order.

I'm so confused.

I have just answered to you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years ago, some French experts have concluded that the prophecies of St Malachy were in fact from NOSTRADAMUS! It explains many things you are talking about. He used the St Malachy name to avoid the wrath of the Church.

In addition, PETRUS ROMANUS could be just the name of THE PAPACY ITSELF as if it was no more important to personaly describe each pope after Benedict XVI (Gloria Olivae) since a great event related to the END TIMES would change the world beliefs such as the coming of someone like the Christ's PARACLET / GREAT MONARCH / KING ARTHUR / CROWNED WHITE HORSEMAN, and THE EXTRATERRESTRIALS.

So again, in another color:

PETRUS ROMANUS could be just the name of THE PAPACY ITSELF as if it was no more important to personaly describe each pope after Benedict XVI (Gloria Olivae) since a great event related to the END TIMES would change the world beliefs...JUST AFTER B16
edit on 14-3-2013 by alex45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
So, the name PETRUS ROMANUS, Peter the Roman refers to Peter the Apostle, the only one, followed by the concept of papacy. So, any pope after B16 would be PETER THE ROMAN since HE MEANS in Nostradamus's mind 'END OF THE WORLD' (END TIMES).

And so are the last words of the FIRST SENTENCE of FRANCOIS (Francis) 1st:

FINE DEL MONDO means END OF THE WORLD: "miei fratelli cardinali sono andati a prenderlo quasi alla fine del mondo".

The famous quatrain X-72 of NOSTRADAMUS predicted the coming of FRANCOIS (FRANCIS) 1st:

L'an mil neuf cens nonante neuf sept mois,
Du ciel viendra un gran Roy effrayeur.
Resusciter le grand Roy d'Angolmois.
Avant apres Mars regner par bon heur.

translated as:

1) "Year 1999 and seven months,
2) From the Heavens will come a great King of terror.
3) The great king of Angolmois will be resuscitated,
4) Before and after March reigns by early hour".

1) 1999 PLUS 7 months = 2000,

2) King of Terror = Death = Tarot card 13 = PLUS 13 YEARS or YEAR 13 (2013),

3) KING OF ANGOLMOIS = French region of ANGOUMOIS from which came FRANCOIS 1st, King of France. SAME NAME FOR THE NEW POPE.

4) MARCH / EARLY HOUR = NEW POPE ELECTED IN MARCH TOO EARLY DUE TO B16 RESIGNATION.

edit on 14-3-2013 by alex45 because: typo

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
S&F because you did a lot of work and left it open for others to form their own opinion with good reasons why it is likely false ... and it's kinda interesting right now

edit on 14-3-2013 by kthxbai because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by alex45

Thanks for the info. I looked it up and some believe Nostradamus may have written only the final prophecy as the others only consisted of short entries, usually 2 words while the final prophecy was more in the form of one of Nostradamus' quatrains.

Who Wrote The List Of Future Popes - Nostradamus Or Saint Malachy?

There are two versions of the Malachy's list - one contains 111 and another one 112 Popes. The list of the future Popes ends with the number 111 (or 112 if we consider another list), and critics argue that not Malachy, but someone else put the 112th Pope into the list many years later. This is possible, because the list had been kept unnoticed in the Vatican's archives for more than 400 years. After its rediscovery the Vatican authorities said that the list had been a fake.

The last Pope, however, is not numbered. The prophetic motto about Petrus Romanus may be longer than all other mottos and this gives us a feeling that the number is missing (Gloria Olivae).

Critics also say that Nostradamus created the list and camouflaged his identity, because the Catholic Church was very oppressive in those times - all people with certain extraordinary (psychic) abilities were persecuted. Thus, Nostradamus might use de Wion as a disguise.

Nostradamus' prophecies are written in verses (so-called Quatrains), which are very difficult to understand, and their interpretation can have a hundred directions. One argument that supports the notion that Nostradamus disguised himself (as Malachy or de Wion) is the time when the Malachy's prophecy slithered to light - shortly after Nostradamus died (1566) - that is, in the year 1595. The second argument is that Arnold de Wion lived at the same time as Nostradamus and they could know themselves.

Esoterica

The article goes on to talk about Nostradamus' prophecy of the black pope which seems like a really big stretch to me.

Black Pope?

Malachy does not say anything about Black Pope, but one Quatrain (C6Q16) in the book Les Propheties written by Nostradamus may indicate the arrival of Pope that is related to something that entails blackness:

That which will be carried off by the young
Hawk, By the Normans of France and Picardy:
The black ones of the temple of the Black
Forest place Will make an inn and fire of
Lombardy.

Nostradamus' prophecies are divided into centuries (cycles of time). It is clear from the above verses that Nostradamus spoke in riddles. The term "Black Pope" does not come from him but rather from people who tried to decipher his prophetic Quatrains.

top topics

join