Bought my first gun yesterday and boy was it scary!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

one of the better things to come out of the old soviet republics is they made ammo by the BILLIONS during the cold war hell i got ammo for my mosin nagant(from 1912) that is stamped 1948 good to hear that prices are already coming down and congratulations op on your first of hopefully many purchases sorry it was such a lengthy process for you

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I want a bodgyguard...

officeneeds.sulekha.com...
edit on 12-3-2013 by coltcall because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Regarding the safe, i would not keep it one number from being opened, as suggested. Especially if there are kids around. If the combo is 3 numbers, I would enter the first, leaving 2 more numbers necessary.

@coltcall: great suggestion. I have a couple books on the manufacture of improvised firearms.

Learning proficiency with a good compound bow is not the worst skill in the world to have either.....

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

You just don't need a gun if you got the right bodyguards...and you happen to run a country full of oil wells.

Ya know, when it came time that Moammar was surrounded, wonder what happened to all his bodyguards?

But I'm guessing that during Moammar's life, he supplied his 'Virgin' Female Bodyguards with the best armaments oil money could buy.

Let's face it, in this Brave New World, being a bodyguard or a mercenary security officer is one lucrative profession in a world full of unemployment. And you're sure to have all the guns and ammo you need or want.

Moammar Gadhafi Dead: The Truth About His 'Virgin' Female Bodyguards [PHOTOS]

www.ibtimes.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by braydenf

Same here in Arizona.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Obviously the ban law is not helping anything but rather inflating prices and demand for companies. This is might be a move to gain money for the us and gun making companies or something but this bill will not pass.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
+1 on the Hi-Point, but they are getting scarce since they are so inexpensive.

The S&W Sigma is a fine gun for the price if you can deal with the heavy double action trigger, I keep my pistol in my nightstand with the magazine inserted ready to be racked and this is more to avoid a potentional tragedy than anything else.

As soon as you can start practicing with your firearm, you will need to wait till the market settles down to get the ammo you need to train but in the mean team get educated on defensive weapon use, you should have the safety down if you grew up around firearms, good luck!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
As another has commented, AZ still has lots of guns, although various ammo is scarce. Heck, even Mark Kelly has recently been able to purchase.

I've seen plenty of ARs and SCARs, as well, where I frequent.

I only use American ammo, as rule. However, I did buy some Prvi (bulk) for my .308. I was actually quite impressed with it, except it runs a little dirty. Nothing like some of the other foreign ammo though.

Congrats! . . . happy B-day . . . Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
edit on 12-3-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Bought the same pistol! I love it except the fact I only have 100
rounds that I can't practice with.. I've traded many materialistic
Things of mine for a few thousand 556 NATO rounds. Soo
worth it.

Funny how I see people buy Unnecessary BS and not the things they really need. Glad I have enough storage in food and supplies for 3-4 years without trans, or electricity to survive.
Some don't have enough to get them by tomrw.. Stocking g up now....

Your too late

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 311DTOM

Hi point is a great weapon, i have yet had any problems with my 9mm,
cheap and disposable.

It's my carry gun, why simple, if anything happens and the cops decide
they want to take your gun, it will take you years to get it back, now if you have
racked up a thousand or so into a pistol, you are going to have to come up with twice that
to replace it.
With the high point, mine was $120 new, put many rounds through it and never had a issue,
and if it gets 'confiscated' by the cops, no biggie, drop another $120 and get another, although
looking around lately they have gone up a bit in price, but are still cheap.

When it comes down to it, how fancy the gun is or what cool brand it is wont matter.
What will matter is if it shoots every time you pull the trigger and its something you can afford.

As for storing it, ALL my guns are loaded, The chambers are empty and the safety is on,
simply flip the safety and chamber a round and you are good to go, no scrambling in the dark
to find ammo, and load it.
It is impossible to have a accident if their is no round in the chamber, it cant 'go off'

as for access, well i'm a lil old fashion in that respect, when i sleep my pistol is less than 2 feet from
my pillow, clip full chamber empty, a rifle is behind my bedroom door and another is close and handy.

Gun safety is not rocket science, just basic thinking and planing. The 'safer' you make the gun
the less use it is to you.

If you buy a gun and keep it in a safe locked up, and the ammo in another location locked up, you might
as well not own one. When it is needed, it would take you to long to get to and get it ready to use.
might as well save your self some cash and buy a baseball bat, you would have better luck.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Wondering where I could pick one up tho. I've been to many gunshops and have never seen that brand before. I looked on their website and it had a list of dealers in my area, but quite a few of those I've been to multiple times and have never seen any HiPoint Firearms. Is it something where I need to call or email the distributor in order for them to ship it to the shop for me to pick up?

Thanks in advance for any info on how I could obtain one of these firearms.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Your sigma .40 cal has no safety, just thought you should know. No matter how expensive ammo is , you need to go to the range with an experienced shooter and practice...at least 60-100 rounds I would suggest. Buy some full metal jacket for practice (it's cheaper) , and some jacketed hollow point for home defense. Make sure both type of rounds will cycle properly in your Sigma , before having to rely on it to fire. Be safe !!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Happy Birthday, Welcome to the new Revolution

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fondue

And if you are considering home defense, get the sight lines in your home, and absolutely know what is behind them. A .40 cal will blow right through most building materials i.e. walls and doors, even exterior ones in some cases. Be aware of others in your home, kids etc. and where they are. I recommend loading with frangible rounds as they will penetrate less in all materials. Welcome to the true American club...
edit on 12-3-2013 by Fondue because: Oh and get a good tactical flashlight and keep it next to the pistol...

I recommend these for ammo: Glaser safety slugs. Buy enough to fill your mag. Practice with something cheaper!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

If you plan on keeping it locked up and unloaded, then don't plan on using it for 'home protection'.

MOTF!

A small 4 digit password safe next to the bed takes 4 seconds to open. Sliding in the mag and chambering takes two. I don't think you want to race me if your coming from my front door downstairs

Bwahahah! Nice retort.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

You can keep it Unloaded w/ a fully loaded clip next to it in a safe and still have home protection. You can even leave the turn dial 1 digit off from unlocking the safe, tough luck on a electronic safe but still home protection is still there.

My parents did this, and I was able to get in the safe by slow turning and testing the bar for give numerous times (curiosity, never touched anything, just wanted to see if I could get in). So I wouldn't make assumptions about who may or may not be able to get in your safe when doing that. My parents got the safe from a family member who had passed on, they didn't have anything in it besides some barely collectible coins and a few quarter rolls, lol.
edit on 3/12/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

Im seriously not trying to be a jerk here, but.....

If you plan on keeping it locked up and unloaded, then don't plan on using it for 'home protection'.

In the middle of the night you aren't going to be Johnny-on-the-spot, like when your fully awake.

Seriously think about it and be safe.

MOTF!

Interesting point, heh. If you aren't "Johnny-on-the-spot, like when your fully awake" maybe you could use the extra four seconds to come to your senses before waking up from a bad dream and filling a family member who came in the room to get something full of holes? Just sayin', that thinking seems to work against your safety concern as much as it might help, depending largely on the situation.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by StargateSG7

One thing I've been experimenting on a very preliminary basis,
is designing REPLICA custom 1700's to 1800's era muskets
and flintlocks on a 3D-CAD system and making them out of
aluminum (casting and machining). Since most aluminum
won't take the firing pressures, these are going to be for
display, but they will look real enough on the wall.

Oh sweet. I used this in Quake 3 Arena. Nice gun. :-) :-P
edit on 3/12/2013 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for the replies and suggestions....just to clarify...I have shot many guns and have had plenty of practice...grew up around people and family with guns...have shot everything from 50 cal desert eagle (hell of a kick) to 9mm and 40 cal. I'm a pretty good shot and know what I'm doing, This is just the first gun I have actually purchased.

I decided to get one because I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. And with all of the crazy media manipulation on guns lately I figure time to act...plan on getting another one in 30 days.

As far as keeping it loaded... I have an 8 year old son and a 4 year old daughter who I would hate to see get a hold of it and try to play with it. They will have no idea I own it but I don't want to take that chance so I will not keep the mag in it. I will keep it in a push button 4 digit safe that I can access fairly simply.

Also I am a very light sleeper...if someone breaks into my home I will assume they will not be able to bust my door down and have full knowledge of the layout of my house...plenty of time to react...if someone can forcefully enter my house and find me in the dark with the lights off upstairs with hardwood floors without waking me then I deserve what I get but I just don't see that happening. Thanks again for all of the kind words and encouragement.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join