It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bought my first gun yesterday and boy was it scary!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Yesterday was my birthday and I decided to finally treat myself...I went to buy a gun.

In Maryland you are required to participate in an online safety gun course and upon completion you are issued a printable card you need to use to purchase a firearm. After a brief 30 minute course I was issued my card and heard out to my local gun dealer

Upon arrival at the gun shop about 5 minutes after it opened I walked into a basically empty shop. By empty I mean that just about every display case was empty. I also noticed the phone was ringing non stop. I explained to the guy working there that I wanted to purchase a hand gun and asked him what was available...he told me what you see is what we have and I can't order anything because there is basically nothing to order. He went on to tell me that the demand has soared and there was nothing available. AR 15? Good luck he said. Gone. 9mm handgun? Nothing. the only thing they had were a few rifles and shotguns. Some 22 cal pistols and two 40 cals. Naturally I went with the 40 cal.

I was then informed upon purchase that I needed to be cleared by the Maryland state Police dept before I could take my gun home. What once took about a week to do was now taking up to 2 months. He pointed to a stack of about 60 folders of paperwork of people ahead of me waiting for clearance. He said he has never seen anything like it. Keep in mind the phone did not stop ringing the entire time I was there.

There was a man there who came in to check out the AR that had arrived and said he was lucky to find one. Unfortunately it was from California and only came with a 10 round clip that could only be released with a special pin and it had no folding stock. He was still waiting for his paperwork to clear so he had to leave it there.

I was also informed that I should by my ammo now because there was no guaranteeing they would have in when my paperwork cleared.....I was happy to make it out of there with the 40 cal and some rounds...

Also the site I have been eyeing for a few months now says due to amazingly high demand they are out of everything and once you add an item to your cart they will email if and when they get more in.

Unreal is the only word I can use to describe it.....Not sure if I should be happy or scared that people are taking notice and buying guns up. Either way...get one while you can.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Seems like more people care about the 2nd than was origionally thought.

On a side note: Everyone knows that you have to go to the ammo store at 8:00 am on a tuesday and wait in line to get ammo. Its gone in 30 minutes. One more spam can please.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Fortunately the supply does seem to be coming back very slowly. Prices on some things have already come down significantly from their peak. Now if ammunition suppliers could just kick it into high gear and get some ammo back on the shelves I would be able to start hitting the range again.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I did notice that my hollow point rounds were made in Serbia, which seemed a bit odd to me. Not sure if this is normal or not since I am no expert on munitions.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Luckily for you, you went with the .40 cal. The ammo supply seems to be there for that size gun. Trying to find ammo for my Glock 17 9mm is almost impossible out here. There is an interesting article that came out on Forbes the other day. Let me see if I can figure out how to attach it here.
1.6 Billion in ammo

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
I did notice that my hollow point rounds were made in Serbia, which seemed a bit odd to me. Not sure if this is normal or not since I am no expert on munitions.

Prvi Partizan is considered to be a very high quality ammunition. Some people actually prefer this ammunition in rifle calibers due to their incredibly tight tolerances and quality standards. To answer your question yes it's very normal.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Congratz on your first firearm purchase~! Now make us all proud by being a responsible firearm owner, know your gun, know yourself, store that bad boy in a safe ^_^

As a gun owner, I rather enjoy the .40cal handgun. Ammo's cheaper than a .45cal. Ammo seems to be available anywhere I go in Illinois as well (Gun shops that is)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Lucky you... I can't even find a red rider..

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Luckily for me I was born and raised in Illinois so I was brought up around guns as my family used to do a lot of hunting. I plan I keeping it locked up and unloaded. I have been able to shoot shotguns rifles 9mm and even a 50 cal desert eagle so I am somewhat versed in safety and handling. Thanks for the input guys! Appreciated!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Im in texas.. the shops here have lots of guns so drive on down.. but I have noticed they have signs at the shooting range that say certain ammos they cant get and all other ammo is 1box per customer
lame

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater but I have noticed they have signs at the shooting range that say certain ammos they cant get and all other ammo is 1box per customer
lame

Im in ohio, same thing here, i just went this weekend. They hardly had anything on the shelves as well and it was packed.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
So.....which 40 cal did you get? You know, make and model? Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, take a look at stickyholsters dot com if you're looking for a super versatile way to carry it. I went thru a ton of holsters, most of which I like a lot, but once I got the stickyholster it's all I use now unless I'm training and have to re-holster a lot. They're no good for re-holstering.

The perk of the sticky is infinite and near instant adjust-ability. You can go from 10:00 cross draw, to small of back palm-out draw, to 4:00 FBI cant to appendix carry twice as fast as it took me to type all that.

Not that you'll need to do that, just saying that I've never found a more versatile holster anywhere, so far.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

I went with the S&W sigma.... I read that a lot of people do not like the dual action trigger but I didn't mind it so much. I don't plan it shooting it too often and really just wanted something simple for home protection. Not a bad little piece for the price.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

How much did it cost?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I picked it up for $370...not the best price I saw but certainly not the worst either considering I was able to see it and hold it. I'm sure I could have found it cheaper but I want to support local business and want to see this little shop do well.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

If you plan on keeping it locked up and unloaded, then don't plan on using it for 'home protection'.

MOTF!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Sounds like he's made a killing with all those empty shelves.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

If you plan on keeping it locked up and unloaded, then don't plan on using it for 'home protection'.

MOTF!

A small 4 digit password safe next to the bed takes 4 seconds to open. Sliding in the mag and chambering takes two. I don't think you want to race me if your coming from my front door downstairs

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Sounds like he's made a killing with all those empty shelves.

Like I said, it's a very small shop that just opened a few months ago...I don't think they had a huge inventory to start with...it's being able to restock those shelves that is the scary part.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

You can keep it Unloaded w/ a fully loaded clip next to it in a safe and still have home protection. You can even leave the turn dial 1 digit off from unlocking the safe, tough luck on a electronic safe but still home protection is still there.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join