Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Latin American Communities Fight to Protect Heirloom Seeds From Monsanto

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
heirlooms are becoming harder and harder to find. and harder to grow at that too, well harder than other seeds grown! but however their produce is well worth it! i support them on their fight!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

This one?

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by alfa1

Since Monsanto owns the patents on reproduction, anyone else growing crops for seed production is infringing on their patent i.e., breaking the law.

Monsanto dont own the patent rights to conventional non-GMO seeds sold by other companies, so my question was about why people thought North American farmers had no choice at all except to buy from Monsanto and no other company.

reply to post by alfa1

Even the pollen may travel across property lines and "pollute" other monsanto farmers and this is also an infringement. They then sue the farmer in court and wear them down financially..

Except that back in the real world, despite legends, your scenario has never happened.

Monsanto are bad enough that one shouldnt have to lie about the situation. The truth should be enough.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

question -who in the hell gave Monsanto a patent on reproduction ,is this not the natural order of things .some group of little traitors should be taken out back and flogged for this insanity and this so called patent removed .

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

how do we as a people start to fight this corporates insane bunch of fools and especially the governments that back them against our wishes.we all need to start a grass roots rebellion by finding and growing our own fruits and veggies in our back yards and saving and handing out the seeds to our neighbors to plant for themselves ,big size family freezers were built for this reason especially if you live in the northern regions where the growing season is only 5 to 6 months long .

ex. cauliflower is now $2.99 for 1
brockale is $2.49 for 2
cucumbers are $.99 each in the stores in canada today.
seeds in the store are 3 pkg for a $1.00 for about 100 seeds per package
think of how much you can save per year by growing it your self and you don't need fertilizers or chemicals to grow it just compost and dirt .make it yourself by digging in the parts that you don't use ie. carrot tops .
better yet add up what you spend on fresh fruits and veggies per week then compare. cucumber plants average 20 or more per plant

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Americans have got to start using their dollars as ammo against gmo farmers. Even if you are unfortunate enough to be on food assistance programs. Buy non gmo. One of the first things I noticed when I changed to non gmo was I ate less and felt more "full". Mexico kicked monsanto to the curb in the 90s when they caught on to what they were doing in their country with corn. Vote with your dollars and monsanto will just be another example of what not to do in future history books. The same could be said for tsa at the airports. Stop buying airline tickets and aggressive tsa searches would halt. Monsanto is in trouble as an international power. America is one of the last holdouts. Cut those profits and the politicians will dump them for another sugar daddy. Your dollars are your votes.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

reply to post by alfa1

Since Monsanto owns the patents on reproduction, anyone else growing crops for seed production is infringing on their patent i.e., breaking the law.

Monsanto dont own the patent rights to conventional non-GMO seeds sold by other companies, so my question was about why people thought North American farmers had no choice at all except to buy from Monsanto and no other company.

reply to post by alfa1

Even the pollen may travel across property lines and "pollute" other monsanto farmers and this is also an infringement. They then sue the farmer in court and wear them down financially..

Except that back in the real world, despite legends, your scenario has never happened.

Monsanto are bad enough that one shouldnt have to lie about the situation. The truth should be enough.

Ah...You don't think the cross-pollination lawsuits ever happened? Tell that to Percy Shmeiser, a Canadian farmer who was taken to court by Monsanto because it didn't matter to them his crops were cross-pollinated. They still sued him but Percy stuck it out and didn't lose so he didn't have to pay Monsanto. He did, however, lose his retirement paying all the court costs.

www.gefreebc.wordpress.com...

What I find really sad is some farmers in India are committing suicide because they're going deep into debt. But Monsanto doesn't care.
edit on 14-3-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)
edit on 14-3-2013 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by texasgirl

Originally posted by alfa1

Ah...You don't think the cross-pollination lawsuits ever happened? Tell that to Percy Shmeiser

You didnt read the link that was in the post you replied to.
I referenced the Schmeiser case.

Some wind blown pollen from 5 miles away doesnt get you 100 percent "contamination", and thats why I agreed with the Judge's decision.
I suggest you read the whole case (that I linked to in that link) before replying.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

My sincere apologies. That was certainly a slip-up on my part, something I don't normally do. I have seen a couple of documentaries, however, of farmers claiming they were sued from Monsanto for cross-pollination. I don't have the proof, however, but I do feel it's worth mentioning.

Now, if I can remember the names of the documentaries and find them I will certainly post.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cruff

Sorry to respond to you so late. I bookmarked that video for review.
Not sure if that is the one. Looks good though. Thank you...

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. I did a quick search about farmers getting sued. Sorry for not replying sooner.

I haven't reviewed any of this material either.

Monsanto suing farmers for patent infringement

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by picratus

question -who in the hell gave Monsanto a patent on reproduction ,is this not the natural order of things .some group of little traitors should be taken out back and flogged for this insanity and this so called patent removed .

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding to you post. You are so right. Thing is Monsanto owns the patent to their product and is suing other farmers in the area because of cross pollination of Monsanto crop. This is underhanded way to force other farmers out of business near where their crops are growing. It works both ways. If the unpainted pollen from another farmer cross pollinates their 'patented crop" then that is infringement as well. They can prove this by testing.

So their patented product shows up in another farmers seed that they sell to other growers and Monsanto can sue them for theft. See? Its insidious because wind, bees, and birds can pollinate a few plants across a roadway or property line. If the farmer downwind tests positive for Monsanto's product in their field they are sued as a way to force them to buy Monsanto (whereupon they drop the charges). Win, win for Monsanto.

Sorry, don't know what to do about it. Farmers are suing back in a war with a corporate giant (and the government?)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

What I find really sad is some farmers in India are committing suicide because they're going deep into debt. But Monsanto doesn't care.

The real tragedy there is that farmers in India weren't told up front that Monsanto seed won't reproduce. So the farmers (Who are already dirt poor) have to buy new seed every year from Monsanto. That is what is breaking them. Plus the crops are not proving resistant to insects for very long.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheEthicalSkeptic
Why is it that the populations of India India Population Rejects GMO Food, France, Zimbabwe, Bolivia, Guatemala, Nicaragua Countries Skeptical of GMO Safety Claims, and of all nations, China China Rejects GMO Rice all are free to press GMO seed producers for evidence behind their claims of safety and no desire to monopolize crops as they have done here in the US, or outright reject GMO foods based on public skepticism...

... yet we in the 'Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave' were too scared and imprisoned to challenge the fake Celebrity Social Skeptics and Power Oligopolies who promoted these foods and say:

"No, you have made an outlandish claim, I want more evidence before I accept the idea that GMO gram negative and gram positive bacterial proteins are safe to human quality of life and health."

Where Were the SSkeptics???

Where were the Celebrity Social Skeptics???, and all their propaganda about critical thinking and scientific method, and Occam's razor when the GMO foods were rushed to market? Oh yes, pontificating on how stupid Bigfoot and UFO witnesses are. REALLY important stuff. Why waste your time on GMO foods or Monopolization of Healthcare, or skyrocketing ASD's when you can have more fun at SSkeptic conventions and disdaining people and subjects you find beneath you?

I remember hearing back in the 80's that the USA would not require screen guards for computers that would protect the eyes but Japan was because of their high standards. It was at that time I began questioning why the USA, considered a great country, would not protect it's people and had lower standards. Since then, it's been one disappointment after another for me, contintuing and constant. Now with so many other countries able to say NO and mean it, while the USA pussyfoots around the issue, and Monsanto's sucking in the billions it makes on it's products, the illusion is finally exposed. The USA is like the Wizard of Oz. Trying to fool everyone else into thinking it is all knowing, all powerful, giant hero when behind the curtain is really just a crippled, sick old man supported with tubes of blood incoming from the masses, sitting on furniture made of gold while the people are suffering from it's deathly grip.

I try to keep my emotions in check about many things but Monsanto is such a farce and so evil it puts me over the edge. Monsanto is it's own country, with it's own zipcode and militia and billions. Everyone think's it Monsanto, but it's really the USA. No company should EVER have the power Monsanto has. Not one.
edit on 15-3-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding to you post. You are so right. Thing is Monsanto owns the patent to their product and is suing other farmers in the area because of cross pollination of Monsanto crop.
Its insidious because wind, bees, and birds can pollinate a few plants across a roadway or property line.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Monsanto are a newly revealed evil in my world, but not a surprising one.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Brigidshine

I totally agree, and have been trying to purchase some seeds myself. I;ve noticed that the fruit and tomatoes you buy in the stores, have absolutely NO TASTE and haven't eaten a good orange or tomato in a long time. I;m sure Monsanto is giving millions to the government in dc to pass gmo food bills and anything favoring monsanto. I think we should Pass a law where former politicians cannot be lobbyist for Monsanto, paid or unpaid. What monsanto is doing is wrong and even michelle obamas, obamas wife, grows crops from Heirloom seeds.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by RooskiZombi

I agree that Monsanto is pure evil and I do have some organic markets to choose from during certain seasons but it's very expensive during the winter due to my location.

Regrettably I am stuck in the matrix and work in an office all day and don't have the time or space to grow enough produce to sustain myself so I am at the mercy of those who are able to grow these products. I hate eating GMO and eliminate it as much as possible, but almost everything has GMO ingredients so it's difficult to avoid it.

I would love to be able to grow my own produce though if my lifestyle allowed it, it would require some major lifestyle changes in order to do so but it would totally be worth it in the long run.

The good news is that even in a small apartment, you can grow organic things to eat. You can start a salad garden in front of a window or under the proper lighting, you can grow fresh sprouts on your kitchen cabinet. If you have potted plants in your home, you can turn them into tomatoes, peppers or even potatoes. Yes potatoes.

All that is required is investing the time, garnering the necessary supplies and seeds, and doing it. You are only limited by your available area and your imagination.

I have been transitioning my family into organic dairy, fruits and vegetables. Meat has proven to be a challenge in my area.

I have invested in heirloom seeds, and plan to obtain more now that I have a property large enough to grow them. I even intend on saving some seeds from my garden for future crops.

Every one of us who is concerned by this topic can make a difference by simply doing what is necessary, and speaking up and out to ANYONE who will listen. You never know where a seed will take root and grow. Pun intended.

BT

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Monsanto wants to be the only seed company - pigs won't eat the socalled corn.
see: www.seedsofdeception.com
He is looking for volunteers - organize locally.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
As long as people remain un-aware of the huge dramatic changes that comes with commercialized super production,nobody will know the difference between GMO and organic. The poor farmers slave at their "owners disposal" not knowing whether they're picking healthy or genetically modified crops. It is a total outrage when someoine has to choose between money and health.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join