Build Your Own DIY Space Plane

page: 1
13

log in

join

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Hello ATS!
eta: The plane is attached to a balloon. As WMD pointed out the text below is misleading so I just wanted to clarify this.

A Swedish man modified an RC airplane, stuck a camera on it, and then flew it to space and back.
By Kelsey D. AthertonPosted 03.11.2013 at 5:00 pm
I found this article on Popsci.
I've seen plenty videos of people sending up cameras attached to balloons and recovering them when the plummet back to Earth but this video is new to me.
It really does make you wanna try this at home. I'll post a link that shows you just how to do it yourself.




A fascimile of Earth, as seen from an RC plane Photo stitched from 50 video frames captured by the GoPro2, carried aboard an RC controlled plane, at an altitude of roughly 18.5 miles. David Windestål, of RCExplorer.se





David Windestål of Sweden had a different idea. What if, instead of just sending a camera into space, he sent a drone? Well, technically an RC model plane. Here's how he did it:


A quick run down on how he did it. Please visit the link for more detail.


Start with a model airplane.

Windestål picked the FunJet, an RC plane with enough interior space to hold the gadgets he wanted to add.

Add a video transmitter.

The video transmitter allows for first-person-view remote control flying.

Cut the balloon.

The most inventive part of Windestål's design is the mechanism that releases the plane from the hydrogen balloon that carries it to space.

Enjoy the fall.


RCexplorer - How to build your own.

Please visit Popsci for further detail.
edit on 12/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)
edit on 12/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)




posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This is so awesome! I bet the GoPro company loves this guy.

Do you need some kind of permit to do this?

Thanks for posting.



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentE
 



A Swedish man modified an RC airplane, stuck a camera on it, and then flew it to space and back.
By Kelsey D. AthertonPosted 03.11.2013 at 5:00 pm


That piece of text is very misleading as you think the plane was flown under its own power up and back!

Also this image will do the same.



Some people will look at that the wrong way as well, if they don't read the link which a lot of members on here don't do,they will then jump to conclusions that are not true.

s&f for the thread this will get some interesting posts no doubt.



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by silverking
This is so awesome! I bet the GoPro company loves this guy.

Do you need some kind of permit to do this?

Thanks for posting.


That's a good question and I don't know the answer.


I live under a flight path so I guess it would be a bad move for me to unleash one in my garden.
I would say check flight paths in your area before you attempt it.



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
reply to post by SilentE
 



A Swedish man modified an RC airplane, stuck a camera on it, and then flew it to space and back.
By Kelsey D. AthertonPosted 03.11.2013 at 5:00 pm


That piece of text is very misleading as you think the plane was flown under its own power up and back!

Also this image will do the same.



Some people will look at that the wrong way as well, if they don't read the link which a lot of members on here don't do,they will then jump to conclusions that are not true.

s&f for the thread this will get some interesting posts no doubt.


I agree, it makes you think he actually flew it up and back. I posted it to give the original writer credit.
I always say to visit the link for further details but there are those who don't or haven't got time.
Not trying to be misleading in any way.


eta: Added edit into OP.
edit on 12/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentE
 


I wasn't trying to say that you were trying to mislead us, I do read the links but as I said many other people don't then jump to conclusions and all sort of cr4p gets post.

I will give you an example on here someone posted a giga pixel picture thread with links, if you read the link the picture was taken on a computer controlled tripod using a normal DSLR camera, the people that didn't read the link posted comments about secret camera tech and why doesn't NASA have cameras like that etc etc.

Don't be surprised if similar things happen on this thread!



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
reply to post by SilentE
 


I wasn't trying to say that you were trying to mislead us, I do read the links but as I said many other people don't then jump to conclusions and all sort of cr4p gets post.

I will give you an example on here someone posted a giga pixel picture thread with links, if you read the link the picture was taken on a computer controlled tripod using a normal DSLR camera, the people that didn't read the link posted comments about secret camera tech and why doesn't NASA have cameras like that etc etc.

Don't be surprised if similar things happen on this thread!


Yes. I've seen threads quickly get derailed this way. I'm glad you pointed it out so I could adjust my OP in good time.

I added to the OP that the plane is actually attached to a balloon, just to clear that first bit of text up,

Still, impressive nonetheless.
It makes you wonder how easy it would be to catch a UFO using one of these things.
Rig it with an impressive HD cam with high pixels and i'm sure eventually someone would catch something of interest.
One can only hope.
edit on 12/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I think the point that is being overlooked is that people can send things into space without rockets. The U.s have been flying one man craft into space since the 50's. The switched over to super rockets to also fund the missile war plans against the russians.



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
I think the point that is being overlooked is that people can send things into space without rockets. The U.s have been flying one man craft into space since the 50's. The switched over to super rockets to also fund the missile war plans against the russians.


Yes. It's as simple as attaching whatever you want to a balloon. I suppose to get a manned craft up there would take some lift though but surely it can be done?



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentE
 


Pretty much what Felix Baumgartner had done. Problem is, what do you do once you're up there? The balloon will burst sooner or later, so the only option is jump. It's not like you can achive the orbital speed using just the balloon.



posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by SilentE
 


Pretty much what Felix Baumgartner had done. Problem is, what do you do once you're up there? The balloon will burst sooner or later, so the only option is jump. It's not like you can achive the orbital speed using just the balloon.


Yeah sort of like that.
Would there be a way to use the ballon to get so far, then break away from the balloon like they (in the OP) had planned to do and fire some rockets?
Or would it be too heavy for a ballon to lift?

I'm just writing what comes to my head
edit on 12/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE
 


----

This is AWESOME!!!! --- GREAT WORK ON YOUR VIDEO!

As an idea to get a much more stable image, there is this OPEN SOURCE
camera stabilization system that I found:

See youtube link:
www.youtube.com...

and more info:
www.youtube.com...

Should cost less that 300 Euros ($450 US) to build and test.

AND then if you're willing to buy them...Get THREE NEW GoPro Hero 4k camera
which record 4000 pixels by 2000 pixels (est) at 15 frames per second and create
an ultra wide-screen panorama and angle the two side cameras at about
55 to 60 degrees from the centre camera. Test the angles to get the widest
panorama possible. Your final video image will be about 12000 by 2000 pixels.
To properly MATCH the three videos to create a perfect panorama, CLAP YOUR
HANDS LOUDLY so that the SAME loud sound is recorded on all three video
cameras once you have started ALL THREE cameras. This clapping sound
is the STARTING point where all three videos should be started from.
Use Corel Video Studio Pro X6 for $80 US or 120 Euros to match up
the loud claps at the same position on a video editing timeline for
all three videos. There is a menu option to see the actual audio
waveform for all three videos so you'll be able to VISUALLY SEE
where the loud clap sound can be used to perfectly match the videos.

See this Corel Video Studio link:
www.corel.com...

To get REALLY good height use a combination of 3 cameras embedded
into a larger glider which is then attached to a gyro-stabilized platform that
has MULTIPLE "F" or "G" series model rocket motors. You might be able
to get an extra 1000 to 5000 metres (or more! depending upon aerodynamics
and number of motors) once you start the rocket motors after your larger single
or stacked series of balloons is released from the rocket platform.

My guess is that it will take SIX stacked balloons to take the load of the three
GoPro Hero 4k cameras and gyro-stabilized rocket platform setup to about
30,000 metres where you then RELEASE the balloons and let the platform
about 1000 metres BEFORE starting the rocket motors. With MULTI-STAGED
F or G series rocket motors there each series of 4 to 8 motors are fired about
15 seconds apart, you should get to almost 37 thousand metres OR MORE!
The mores stages you have the more range you'll get!

See this weblink for common rocket motor size and "horsepower" tables:
www.nar.org...

Multi-stage and Clustered Model Rocket Motors:
www.apogeerockets.com...

I hope this helps!



posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by SilentE
 


Pretty much what Felix Baumgartner had done. Problem is, what do you do once you're up there? The balloon will burst sooner or later, so the only option is jump. It's not like you can achive the orbital speed using just the balloon.


Not to mention that you can't actually get to SPACE with a balloon; They ONLY work in atmosphere (well, they might work in water too). You could get really close, but you would still be in the atmosphere.



posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by StargateSG7
 


Thanks for the great info!

I would love to take credit for the video but I can't because I didn't make it.
Had I made one all you would see is the balloon smashing through my neighbours window and then me running inside my gaff like a kid who lost his ball!


Attempting this stunt would break me financially so buying any gear is out of the question.

I made this thread in the hope that someone would have a go themselves. It seems so simple providing you can afford the tech and also afford it if all goes pear shaped.



posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE
 


---

I might have a go at this...we've already got three Canon 5D's
(i.e. fully 1920 by 1080p at super-fast 60 fps video when modded)
and while our insurance company would an absolute
heart attack at sending such cameras to near-space,
I think this might make for an interesting project.

So while I won't send up the Canon 5D's or a Canon C300/C500,
I did notice that some Canon Powershot Rugged cameras
with REALLY AWESOME QUALITY HDTV VIDEO were
less than $500 each. They're not as rugged the GoPro,
but the colour rendition, sharpness and video quality is 3x better!

See this Canon PowerShot 12.1MP Digital Camera (G15) - Black:
www.futureshop.ca... 02

Put these cameras on a gyro-stabilized glider and let her rip!
As a suggestion, STACK multiple balloons and put HALF the
helium in it so that the balloon's gas-bag can expand MORE
before bursting. By using the multiple balloons, you can lift
the same weight BUT the balloons won't burst until you get
HIGHER than the earlier attampt. My guess is a balloon burst
at about 37,000 to 40,000 metres altitude.

If I knew the tensile strength, (PSI - Pounds per Square Inch)
before fabric failure of the balloon fabric and the initial helium
gas volume, we could calculate burst height pretty accurately.
This is ONE WAY to get a higher height without using booster
rockets as some high-altitude RC (Remote Rontrol) aircraft
explorers have done previously.



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by StargateSG7
reply to post by SilentE
 


---

I might have a go at this...we've already got three Canon 5D's
(i.e. fully 1920 by 1080p at super-fast 60 fps video when modded)
and while our insurance company would an absolute
heart attack at sending such cameras to near-space,
I think this might make for an interesting project.

So while I won't send up the Canon 5D's or a Canon C300/C500,
I did notice that some Canon Powershot Rugged cameras
with REALLY AWESOME QUALITY HDTV VIDEO were
less than $500 each. They're not as rugged the GoPro,
but the colour rendition, sharpness and video quality is 3x better!

See this Canon PowerShot 12.1MP Digital Camera (G15) - Black:
www.futureshop.ca... 02

Put these cameras on a gyro-stabilized glider and let her rip!
As a suggestion, STACK multiple balloons and put HALF the
helium in it so that the balloon's gas-bag can expand MORE
before bursting. By using the multiple balloons, you can lift
the same weight BUT the balloons won't burst until you get
HIGHER than the earlier attampt. My guess is a balloon burst
at about 37,000 to 40,000 metres altitude.

If I knew the tensile strength, (PSI - Pounds per Square Inch)
before fabric failure of the balloon fabric and the initial helium
gas volume, we could calculate burst height pretty accurately.
This is ONE WAY to get a higher height without using booster
rockets as some high-altitude RC (Remote Rontrol) aircraft
explorers have done previously.



You seem to know your stuff.

Good luck if you decide to give it a go and i'm sure I don't need to ask you to make a thread about it. Drop me a link if you do.



posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE
 


---

Looks like we're getting the Hero 3 Black Editions which shoot
at 4k pixels (4000+ by 2000+ pixels) at 15 fps (frames per second).
...OR...Three DriftCams which shoot full 30 fps HDTV footage:

GoPro Hero3 - Black Edition:
gopro.com...

DriftCam HD Ghost:
driftinnovation.com...

At less than $420 if we buy in bulk EITHER GoPro or DriftCam
will work. I've already got the high-end multi-screen playback
system which use THREE 42 INCH monitors plus real-time
MOVING MAPS and GPS, ALTITUDE, COMPASS,
COURSE OVER GROUND and other data on
THREE OTHER 27 inch SCREENS.

This will be fun...just did simple RC flight test
using a single cam Parrot Drone -- works GREAT!

For the live broadcast video three-camera ultra wide-view full-duplex multi-link,
THREE OF THESE DATA BRIDGES should be fine for the drone.

See ALINK-5X FDD Long Range point to point Full-Duplex Backhaul wireless bridge.
Range up to 60km (36 miles) with speed data over 60Mbps:

www.shop-wifi.com.../product&path=36&product_id=131

Takes about 6 weeks to get these, which are a special order
but for the price of $1500.00 each, they CAN'T BE BEAT!

Batteries to power everything:

THREE Anton Bauer Batteries (DionicHD Lithium Ion)
30 watts for SIX HOURS of RUNTIME at 3.4 pounds each (10.2 lbs for all three) :
www.antonbauer.com...

For the aircraft, I think I will try this Lifting Body design and scale it up
so it can take the weight of the three GoPro Hero 3 cameras, the three
60km range transmitters, some maneuvering thrusters with fuel supply,
and for the multi-axis Gyroscopically stabilized camera platform,
I'll try this setup:

R/C lifting body model Design: (Needs Scale-Up to handle 60 lbs total payload):
rocketdungeon.blogspot.ca...

And I'll add a PRESSURIZED aerodynamically fitted camera bubble to enclose the camera
and high-power broadcast-pro-level batteries (Anton Bauer) to keep everything heated and
dry at the 33,000 metres and up altitude:

3-axis camera gimbal for GoPro (gyro stabilization test)
www.youtube.com...

Balloons will be standard STACKED series of 10 foot weather balloons.
My estimation is that 7 helium filled balloons will do the work of lifting
to the ultra high altitude to 40,000 metres+...!!!!

Weather Balloons that will be used (each lifts 8.8 pounds payload)
thus will need SEVEN of them to lift the 60 lbs camera and lifting body RC drone payload:

shop.highaltitudescience.com...


USA FAA and Canada DOT High Altitude Balloon Flight Legal Issues:

USA:
highaltitudescience.com...

Canada:

See this University of Alberta UAV Flight Link:
www.isset.ualberta.ca...

and
Government of Canada DOT (Department of Transport) Link:
www.tc.gc.ca...

Weather Balloon Tutorial:
highaltitudescience.com...

Balloon Lifting Capacity Calculations:
www.ehow.com...

Advanced MATH for Gross static lifting capacity of logging balloons:

books.google.ca... EbaJ8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kgtKUaPkCMPkiAKcr4HgCA&sqi=2&ved=0CHkQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=weather%20balloons%20lifting%20capacity&f=false

This should be fun. No way of knowing if this will all work until we try it.
I'll let you know in about 60 days. U2U me if you need to.
edit on 2013/3/20 by StargateSG7 because: Spelling
edit on 2013/3/20 by StargateSG7 because: more fixes
edit on 2013/3/20 by StargateSG7 because: fixes again





top topics
 
13

log in

join