It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 100 Guantanamo inmates 'on hunger strike,' possibly in grave condition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Over 100 Guantanamo inmates 'on hunger strike,' possibly in grave condition

rt.com

Lawyers for Guantanamo inmates have claimed "all but a few men" are on a hunger strike over their Qurans being taken away. The condition of the stikers "appears to be rapidly deteriorating and reaching a potentially critical level." [...] They added that men's Quans were taken in a "desecrating" manner, and that prayer time was not respected.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
The US government is denying these claims, saying that only a few of the men were on a hunger strike. Those few are reportedly being tube fed. Lawyers are also claiming that many other personal possessions were also confiscated, which the US also denies.

Whether true, or not, this could be very destructive information to hit the news. I can easily see the desecration of the Quran as a catalyst for enraging Muslims around the world. I certainly hope that this information is false--though I cannot imagine a news agency breaking with this without credible information. Regardless, I expect a backlash against American interests either way.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-3-2013 by supertrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Ah yes, from the reliable source, Russia Today.

That's like believing in CNN reports from Syria.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
What I want to know is what happened to the Geneva Convention on Warfare!

I guess all the crap that happens to US servicemen is just the other side of the same coin.

It disgusts me!

P

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The bigger question is why there are more than 100 prisoners there at all?

The prison currently holds 166 people, many of whom have spent over a decade there without official charges brought against them.

Sounds rather like one of those third world countries where the corrupt police just lock you away because they feel like it.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Unfortunetly when it comes to the Koran it seems like the attitude is the same all round in the USA. Thats just the way things are. Guess its freedom of choice or something is it? maybe some of the people I've been chatting to recently can define this act for me...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Considering it was one of Obamas big promises, I'm surprised its still open..

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Reliable or not, RT is a widely read news source. If untrue, I see this as very reckless journalism. This type of propaganda will be used by extremists to sway, even moderate, Muslims to take action against American interests.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Ah! This news explains what I saw on TV last evening of how nice those retained folks in Getmo have it with special diets, strawberries, and other little extras in their lives such as a library of VCR tapes that includes Harry Potter tapes, etc.

Of course, any hunger strikes were not mentioned.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This something people (Americans?) fear hearing about and hope they dont.

Because, the implications are gruesome of how America continues to terrorize the world, even bringing back prisoners of its war to torture at taxpayers' expense and show there's nothing you can do about it, you're next.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

The bigger question is why there are more than 100 prisoners there at all?

The prison currently holds 166 people, many of whom have spent over a decade there without official charges brought against them.

Sounds rather like one of those third world countries where the corrupt police just lock you away because they feel like it.
I thought Obama closed that place over 4 years ago!

Oh no, that's right...

He just promised to do that. Nevermind.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by alfa1

Considering it was one of Obamas big promises, I'm surprised its still open..
So a politician didn't follow through on a campaign promise...why is that surprising?

But you're right, he did promise to close it.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Well, as much as I don't approve what goes on at Guantanamo...still you are in prison. Even if you are by some chance innocent...

Once you made it there...I think that requesting some "human rights" is unrealistic. A prison is not a church. It's a place to serve your punishment. How you spend your time there is not up to you. It's up to the prison administration. They own you. You have relinquished your rights as an individual...by committing a crime.

If they wanted to pray and read Quran, they should have stayed at home...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Pfffft...Should we honestly care...Let them starve to death for all I care !!! 100 less moiths to feed !!!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by supertrot

Wait, the prisoners are on a voluntary hunger strike, and we should care?

This is a non-issue.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Shakyamuni Buddha fasted before his great awakening, and fasting is a Muslim tradition as well.
With all this press coverage maybe some group will take notice and help with a prison break.
Get the prisoners all dressed as guards?

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Terrorists-sympathizers in the guise of Human Rights Organisations are hell bent on making waves over their terrorist idols on hunger strike in Guantanamo YET again, as it seems right now today that there are est 130 inmates in participation, and WORST of all, the US Attorney General's office had issued a statement to the Defence dept that 'force feeding the inmates whom are mentally competent to eat is torture and no medical officer will engage in such' just as Hagel despatched more medical staff to Guantanamo to save the inmates lives.

The terrorist-sympathizers jumped on such claims, if they were not the ones who influenced the AG's memo that the inmates are not seeking for death or suicide but only to protest over their incarceration.

BUT the fact is - hunger strike is to seek for suicide, and suicide is a crime. To commit suide is the choice of an UNstable mind, and if the mind is unstable, how then can he be deemed as 'mentally competent' and NOT seeking death as the terrorist-sympathizers are trying to pull wool over empathic mankind's eyes claimed???

Using Human Rights as cover, these terrorist-sympathizers want food to be denied to inmates using claims of torture, even as the US govt is doing its best to keep them alive which is a humanitarian act, which is thus a horror to see how the terrorist-sympathizers are misusing goodwill to sow hatred and death to the inmates.

Secondly, they claimed the inmates had been kept in Guantanamo for years when they were cleared by the courts except for a minority, of having done nothing wrong. Again the terrorist sympathizers are using half truths and lies to fool and mislead empathic mankind.

Truth is - it WAS the inmates' nation that DO NOT WANT them back, for these inmates were found to be involved in violent jihad in a WARZONE, and although no evidences were found, that does not mean there are NO evidences of their terrorist intents. And thus the fear of the nations and for years, had resisted US attempts to repatriate them back, which is why there are still there in Guantanamo,

Human Rights group had LONG been misused to fool empathic mankind, and are riddled with folks with cunning intent as proven by their loud exclaminations time and time again, without any shred of investigations done. Worse are these Guantanamo activists.

There is a solution to the Guantanamo problem.

For BLOODY ONCE - the Human Rights activists, the chief executive councils and NOT the rank and file whom are probably only young and naive angst filled adults FOOLED and misled in joining them, BE MADE TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS & PROCLAMATIONS.

No more letting them freely make unsubstantiated claims and falsehoods. Freedom of speech comes with responsibilities and thus they must be held accountable.

1. If the activists are honest in caring for the inmates and blamed the govt for keeping them locked up, then let 3 activists be GUARANTORS for every 1 inmate to be set free, back to their homeland if their nation wants them and agrees to having guarantors from the supposedly 'esteemed' Human Rights organisations.

They will need to sign an UN agreement that they wil be held responsible for the behaviour of their inmate for life, and should the inmate commit crimes, hurt and harm, and worse, return to terrorism as many did, then the GUARANTORS agree to be sent to Guantanamo prison for life in place of their freed inmate, without any need for trial

2. The same goes for the media as well. If the news media continues to disparage against the US govt and Guantanamo Prison, then let the news media - their chief executives and news presenters, be 3 party guarantors to free the inmates, as they believe the inmates are innocent and will do NO wrong.

Freedom of speech comes with responsibilites, and accountabilities for the consequences of such speech. Are the terrorist-sympathizers masquerading as 'human rights activists' and the bias news media groups ready to step up the plate, or chose to continue with their BS to fool empathic mankind yet again?

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Truth is - it WAS the inmates' nation that DO NOT WANT them back, for these inmates were found to be involved in violent jihad in a WARZONE, and although no evidences were found, that does not mean there are NO evidences of their terrorist intents.
Have you got a source for this claim about inmates' nation not wanting them back? How do you know this?

I don't really trust CNN as an unbiased source, but am not sure who is really a reliable source on this issue. CNN's story is ambiguous about why those cleared for release are still in Guantanamo, though they mention the prospect of torture if the prisoners are released:

Why has Obama abandoned his Guantanamo pledge?

There is much to welcome in the motion: a call for Europe to re-engage, to demand the closure of Guantanamo, and, crucially, to offer to resettle the dozen or so prisoners who have been cleared for release but cannot go home because of the risk of torture.

They didn't elaborate on that, regarding who would be doing the torture.

Also I don't understand the statement "although no evidences were found, that does not mean there are NO evidences of their terrorist intents". What does that mean? Is there evidence or isn't there? That seems like a contradictory statement.

I'm not a terrorist sympathizer as you put it, but I was pleased to hear Obama's campaign promise to close Guantanamo bay prison and I was disappointed when he didn't do it.

top topics

join