It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Practical Guide To The Esoteric Sciences For Us Part 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
"There is one right way and many wrong ways to do anything. There is only one entrance to the great temple of universal knowledge. He who attempts to go in by any other door, or to storm the citadel of truth, the same is a "thief and a robber." Those who dedicate themselves to the processes of discipline and self-improvement set down by the old masters, are preparing themselves to enter the house of wisdom by the proper gate." ~ Manly P. Hall

"The wise unify their consciousness and abandon attachment to the fruits of action, which binds a person to continual rebirth. Thus they attain a state beyond all evil." The Bhagavad Gita 2:51

I am not here to tell you the right or wrong way. This is up to you and you only. The path to ones own truth is a personal one. The work is to be done by you, inwardly and it is NOT easy. I am only here to share somethings I think may help us. I am not saying that discussion in masse is a bad thing, but we must retain discretion and not just believe everything that blows by on recent post. Take in, dissect and hold what is true to you. But most of all be discriminate.

I hoped to do this in one thread but I can see now that this is not possible. This will be the first of several parts.

I have frequented this forum for many years now, though I have only recently joined. In these years I have seen multiple threads a day pop up by those that seem to be "in the know". Not saying that there are not ones in the know here, and I do not claim to be myself. I write this only by learning from my own blunders and hope to be of service to others so that they might start off on good footing.

A little about me. I have delved into the esoteric sciences hard and heavy for the last two years. Fragments before, but with resolve in the last two. I know that this does not sound like much, and it is not, this is the point! I do not speak with any authority. I am still suckling my milk for babes and expect no shortcuts, nor want them!

To think that we can be "enlightened", "Raise The Serpent Fire", "Be one with The All" from reading a couple of threads is ludicrous at best, dangerous at worst. And of those here that tell you they figured it out, tread lightly is all I can say!

There is a reason that the esoteric is called the esoteric. It was only for those that had proven themselves worthy to receive. I realize day by day that I am not there and it is humbling. In my opinion it will take years, if not decades or lifetimes to even make a dent, as it should.

So much of the "New Age" material is actually based in the ancients text. In the days we live in today, and it is very exciting to me too, "science" is catching up to what the sages of the past have been saying for ages. Myself, I look to the old original sources and work my way up to today.

In my opinion science will either make you an Atheist or a Believer in something higher. I fall into the latter category. Unity is a very hard thing to grasp in this age of materialism, competition and the Eye for an Eye culture we are engulfed in. And this brings me back to the few, the worthy that can see through this. The Test of test if you will?

I believe that atONEment is through ones Self. Not on the coat tails of someone else. This is the Great Work, a solitary one.

Back to the gist of this thread. The opening quote was from Manly Palmer Hall',Words To The Wise; A Practical Guide To The Esoteric Sciences. The words in this thread are largely drawn verbatim from this book with many of my own.

This is not some plug on any one person or belief, but his words resonate with me profoundly and I think they are WORDS to ONES that wish to be wise, truly.

This is a book I wish I had had from the start instead of just delving in without something to put me in check, and this is why I am posting this, to hope it will help you as it has me. Myself, I always felt from the beginning that if you want to know where you are now, go to the past. Manly is not the past I speak of, but he was along the same timeless line of wise, profound thinkers. He wrote this book in 1936 when the "New Thought" Esoteric movement was in it's infancy. In the West the melding of Eastern thought and Western thought were coming together in MSM if you will. It was the days when the modern industrial movement was gaining momentum as never before. And NOW we have gone past that exponentially. Some words of sages are timeless and in my opinion, he is in those ranks.

I know some of you will shout, Manly P. Hall, Rosicrucian, 33rd Degree Mason, Theosophist, Heretic, or maybe Philosopher, but this book is generic and WISE to anyone wishing to search the truth.

I will quote and not try to plagiarize anything from this book as there is not an out of copyright edition from PRS. While I respect, the message in this book is far too important ON THIS FORUM! Sorry, cannot external text this.

I will just point out the things I think are pertinent to seekers.

Chapter One: True and False Paths to Wisdom

Basically it covers two main paths. Internal (inspirational) and External sources.

Internal is self realization, inspiration. The things you FEEL from within to be true. There are advantages and disadvantages that might be evident.

Advantages:

1: Knowledge from within is unadulterated by opinion and interpretation. i.e..dogma

2: Knowledge from within binds you more closely with the source, not dependent on organized religion.

3: Inspirational knowledge is attuned to the need of the individual who receives it. An inspiration does not flow into the consciousness unfit to receive it.

Disadvantages:

1: It is almost impossible for a person even with years of metaphysical study to distinguish between inspiration and imagination.

2: The mere fact that we cannot distinguish between true inspiration and imagination leaves us at the low faculties of our own subconscious wants and desires.

3: As efforts to enhance inspirational faculties come, we can delude ourselves and deny evidence or truth and become obsessed or even possessed and become disillusioned.

We are physical entities subject to the corruptions, desires, lust and visions of grandeur that are built into us. Without years of discipline, discretion and balance, we can deceive ourselves.

Those who have achieved it are Silent and teach it in silence! Perhaps I am breaking this rule but I believe that selfless service outweighs when you can help.

External Contact falls into three categories:

1: "Institutions or individuals claiming to possess an exact knowledge of the disciplines by which man may be elevated to a condition of spiritual security."

2: The literature of the ages, including religious and philosophical books. I agree with Manly that this is the best place to begin. Discern for yourself what holds true to you. It is something that can come in the unadulterated peace of your own home.

3: Nature itself. It is a laboratory of natural law, cause and effect and spiritual processes. It takes what it needs and nothing more. Observe and learn.

The main differences in the ancient mystery schools and the metaphysical movements in the last hundred+ years:
edit on 12-3-2013 by ElleLachyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
1: The ancient schools were sanctioned by the state. Thus keeping the charlatans out of the picture. They had no need to take your money for their survival. I think that this modern information age we are in now can be the same. The information is out there for free and "institutions" are crumbling. Good and bad. Use discretion.

2: The ancient schools had an unbroken chain of hierophants passing down traditions from the "beginning" of time. Were not that fortunate.

3: The ancient schools were not caught up in the modern dog eat dog world that we are in today. Wisdom was put on a higher pedestal than "stuff". Too bad for us!

"If you understand others you are smart.
If you understand yourself you are illuminated.
If you overcome others you are powerful.
If you overcome yourself you have strength.
If you know how to be satisfied you are rich.
If you can act with vigor, you have a will.
If you don't lose your objectives you can be long lasting.

If you die without loss, you are eternal."

The Tao Te Ching - 33

End of part one.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

"There is one right way and many wrong ways to do anything.

And us non dummies can stop right here.
You just keep on posting

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Im sorry. Did i come off as rude there? I guess you really feel you you have found something worth sharing here so I will just say that I disagreed with your opening sentence so much that I felt I needed to point out to the dummies that your first sentence though it sounds reasonable to many, is not necessarily a true statement.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

No not rude. And perhaps your right? Who am I to say what is right or wrong. I am just trying to help others that just take it all hook, line and sinker.

They are not my words after all but they do make sense in a generic abstract way. This is for you and me and we to decide what is wrong for us. Not an attack on any one way.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Also for any that might read this. None of us are dummies who are searching, just thought it was catchy. Perhaps a more non-evasive word would have been.....eh... novices?

Anyway, no disrespect to anyone!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ElleLachyme

I LOVE and ADORE Manly Hall's Philosophy and admire his words of wisdom. I stumbled upon his work two years ago and I think I may have read or listened to his work at least 100 times if not more thus far. I love listening to each word as he is such a good speaker of words.

If we all reached this state of wisdom, we could have peace within and abroad.

It may take many lifetimes, but we will eventually get there.

I wonder, how many times does Manly have to live life on Earth, before he graduates?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I realize that the original title was disrespectful. So I changed it.

If you are reading this thread, you are no dummy.

Carry on.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Ha! I didn't take it personally AT ALL.... just like all the books out there for "dummies". Its really just slang in my ears, nothing demeaning.

Some people on ATS may not know what esoteric is.

Now, they do.

And.. Now, I can carry on. Thanks! lol

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Yes the yellow books are what I was thinking of too. But anyone who is into researching such things is a thinker in the first place.

Ironically, your Integrity thread had something to do with me going ahead with this thread. It comes up in the book and will be included in the next installment. Your thread is VERY good! All should take the time to read it.

You bring up a good point.

es·o·ter·ic
adjective ˌe-sə-ˈter-ik, -ˈte-rik
Definition of ESOTERIC

1 a : designed for or understood by the specially initiated alone
b : requiring or exhibiting knowledge that is restricted to a small group ; broadly : difficult to understand

2 a : limited to a small circle
b : private, confidential

3: of special, rare, or unusual interest

ex·o·ter·ic
adjective ˌek-sə-ˈter-ik
Definition of EXOTERIC

1 a : suitable to be imparted to the public — compare esoteric
b : belonging to the outer or less initiate circle

2: relating to the outside : external

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
i've only taken a brief look at your post so far, though i am about to delve deeper and look more into MPH (who i had only heard of before), though if you like the theosophical approach, you may find that you should look in to Goethe, and possibly Steiner.
i like Goethe though i usually find Steiner overly "woo", despite working with many anthro's myself

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Really? I am glad you think the thread is a good one. I am beginning to wonder now as the negative side of integrity has been shown in the last few pages and I am confused as to whether I am right in the head or not. lol

Integrity as a collective is seen by me and can be had in my opinion but another poster is not so sure and has argued with the OP as calling it hypocritical and lies. I see the pov, however believe for now it to be fear based. I may change my mind again as I ponder over it.

Manly Hall has a philosophy of life based on lots and lots of reading and studying. I found I connected to him immediately because he speaks on behalf of things that interest me. I wish I could have met him and spoke to him at lengths with certain subjects.

Its as if each word has been articulated to a point where his words sing like a melody.

To think without applying our thoughts to the conduct of our affairs is to substitute mere intellectualism for intelligence. It is seldom possible to perfect a personal philosophy without study, through which we become familiar with the deepest and noblest convictions of mankind. We must also call upon daily experience by which we can convince ourselves of the reality and integrity of certain basic principles, ever-present and forever true. Beyond both study and experience are the internal faculties of the soul and these must bestow final certitude upon our convictions. If, therefore, we live simply and wisely, seeking first the improvement of our inner lives, reserving an open heart and mind, we shall be guided and directed according to our needs and understanding

Above is the beginning of his "philosophy of life". I encourage any reader who is interested to read it at length.

silver-wolves.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Manley Hall had only a knowledge of the exoteric level of esoteric sciences. If you want to go to graduate school after preparing yourself at the high school level, then go here. This is the interface betweeen scientific and metaphysical knowledge. Here is the "Mind of God" finally revealed in its breath-taking beauty and power. But don't expect to know what the divine paradigm is in an hour. It will take you months to absorb much of the rigorous research presented at this website. If, however, you persevere, you will discover a form of knowledge that transcends science yet inspires its theoretical discoveries as their source. You will also encounter the meeting point of religion, science and the paranormal....
edit on 12-3-2013 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Thank you for the information and link. I have already looked over it and bookmarked it as well. I have heard it before....

Sacred Geometry and their Scientific meanings is also covered by Manly Hall.

I'm assuming you are not discounting this mans wisdom and knowledge seeking as he is one of the best thinkers of all time. He proves it with his words and actions.

Its one thing to know, but another to act.

I wonder if Stephen Phillips was taught by Manly Hall? He has been a great teacher since the early 19th century.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Thanks for the recommendations. I will have to look into them both a little closer.

While I had heard of Goethe' Faust, I never had any idea of the depth of him. Im surprised I have not ran across him more as I do read a lot on alchemy. That guy was all over the place, poet, scientist, statesman.. on and on.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I will have to go back and read up on your thread.

Yes, Manly had a gift with words. I have many of his books and enjoy every single sentence.

Many of his lectures are on Youtube. I love to listen to them.

Here is 'My Philosophy of Life'.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

"There is one right way and many wrong ways to do anything. There is only one entrance to the great temple of universal knowledge. He who attempts to go in by any other door, or to storm the citadel of truth, the same is a "thief and a robber." Those who dedicate themselves to the processes of discipline and self-improvement set down by the old masters, are preparing themselves to enter the house of wisdom by the proper gate." ~ Manly P. Hall

Do you always find plagiarism enlightening?

Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:7-10

The fact is, you can't see who the thief is, can you? Hall is a fraud and just a peddler of 'hidden knowledge and mysteries', hooking those who truly believe that their Creator has held something back from them. And to this end, it appeals to the iniquity within us.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
"When the Student is ready, the Teacher will appear"

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SparkOfSparks6

My friend,

I think you might have just subtly hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

I know those words. Not until ready. But who is the teacher that one awaits?

Where oh where? They are closer than we think.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Whilst I appreciate your opinion I would have to say that your post is a little condescending. Not to MPH but to others that might just feel that there is something other than what is interpreted by.. (insert any religion here). Every religion has its esoteric and mystical faction to it, including Christianity.

I do not believe that anything was held back but might take a special mindset to cut through the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks for posting.

top topics

join