It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Life May Be Rare Across the Universe

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualarchitect
reply to post by Spider879

We have studied 1 solar system. That system has life in it. That is a 100% success rate.
Score:
Alien Life Forms 100
Loser Scientist 0

We have studied 1 solar system. That system has no confirmed extraterrestrial life in it. That is a 100% failure rate.

Score:

Alien Life Forms 0

ALF-seeking Scientists 0
edit on 14-3-2013 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I doubt what was said in this article you posted and wonder what the adgenda was for the scientist who said it. Back in 1986, I took an astronomy class at OSU. The professor got his calculator out on the last day of class and calculated the possibility of life else where in the Universe. The number of the least possibility was so enormous it is mind boggling! The possibilities are in the math. The numbers of life else where are enormous!

For example: My garden. Every year we rotatill it twice, plant it up, and mulch all the rows. The amount of weeds that show up by fall ruin the garden. Never under estimate the desire for life to start and grow.

I personally feel it is ignorant to claim there is no life elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal

I personally feel it is ignorant to claim there is no life elsewhere.

Since we do not know for sure at this point it would would be ignorant to make a claim one way or the other.

That's what ignorance is - a lack of knowledge.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by Druscilla

There you go again, setting a new parameter that only strengthens the OP: Sophistication.

Sure, we'd like to believe that there is microscopic life thriving in thermal vents in alien oceans as much as they've been detected in our own, bereft of sunlight, yet alive. In that order, microscopic life should be present everywhere, and I wonder if they'll find proof on Mars. Surely meteorites have shown us this recently.

But let's remember extinction events, natural calamities that upset the balance of life. In far away star systems, do the same factors still apply, albeit light years away? Surely.

There's a reason why there are no advanced life forms visiting us. The sophistication required to evolve from a thermal vent to interstellar travel is a huge biological leap, and as previously stated, geological time is not on their side. Take millions of years, as evidenced on our own planet, and lifeforms trying to develop have been besieged by a rather regular series of extinction events. The same would appear to hold true everywhere, due to the lack of evidence of intelligent life, and also due to the rather random interactions of a multiverse full of death dealing asteroid impacts. I won't go into gamma ray bursters from pulsars, but the plausibility factor of life evolving is rather slim when you consider the totality of potential hazards.

There's not enough time for life to become sophisticated enough to become intelligent. The short span we've been "intelligent", like said, is but a drop in the bucket.

To overlap two cultures, almost impossible.

Though Mars rover Curiousity showed that planet could have supported life, from analysis "showed the rock contained clay minerals that formed in a watery enviroment. It also had traces of sulfur, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and simple carbon --- essential ingredients for life."

"The car-size rover is not equipped to detect microbes, living or extinct. It can only use its on-board laboratories to examine Martian rocks to determine the kind of enviroment they might have lived in." Quote: Associated Press

I'll have to disagree with your opinion: "there are no advanced life forms visiting us."
Contrary to your opinion...there is vast overwhelming evidence that advanced life forms are visiting our earth--- with subtle references of alien interactions with Earthling's based on alien starship and creature sighting's.

My speculation on the ability of intelligent civilizations to have the wherewithall to construct and operate an interstellar starship...should not necessarily be based on millions of years of evolution of said civilization --- but having the intelligence and ability to seek out the minerals and alloy metals to construct such a starship --- would be of upmost importance --- along with the luck of being in the proper geographic location to aquire such minerals; especially for the construction of a photon engine that is capable of superluminal speeds.

Cheers,

Erno86

edit on 14-3-2013 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 14-3-2013 by Erno86 because: grammar

edit on 14-3-2013 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 14-3-2013 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You any good at math and statistics, that's
all i need to say!

/

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Yes there are many news media outlets of skeptical people brushing odd extraodinary things as simple things that could be mistaken - but that is just disrespectful and uncaring to the shaken witness of an extraordinary thing. This is why so many of the real UFO witnesses stopped reporting, or even why the UFO airplane pilot witnesses can't even report at all to begin with. This is also the reason why the government did not disclose after they came so close in 2001 with the discloser project. We have to look at it from the big picture - the witnesses, the government, the coutner intelligence - it is not easy but can be understood, why they don't want us to understand for the simple fact that a space intelligence has come down to earth besides the simple part of occult greed for money or maybe another occult means.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by greyer

Yes there are many news media outlets of skeptical people brushing odd extraodinary things as simple things that could be mistaken - but that is just disrespectful and uncaring to the shaken witness of an extraordinary thing. This is why so many of the real UFO witnesses stopped reporting, or even why the UFO airplane pilot witnesses can't even report at all to begin with. This is also the reason why the government did not disclose after they came so close in 2001 with the discloser project. We have to look at it from the big picture - the witnesses, the government, the coutner intelligence - it is not easy but can be understood, why they don't want us to understand for the simple fact that a space intelligence has come down to earth besides the simple part of occult greed for money or maybe another occult means.

Please do not assume that I took a position about whether or not we are being visited in the past or present,I have looked at some impressive reports coming not from your average Joe who saw a light in the sky but from industry heavies like Ben Rich of Skunk Works,and Norman Bergrun among others that can't be easily dismissed,but about quantity of life itself maybe a different story much less intelligent life as we recognize it,if we are being visited maybe it's because life is rare.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join