It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falklands referendum: Voters choose to remain UK territory

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I love history, and really enjoyed reading all the replies, also, yet again, no one learns from history, tragic really.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Originally posted by SevenThunders
they have replaced God with government. Such governments always need to focus their aggression outwards, to mask their horrific flaws.

Unfortunately most of the rest of the world is following Argentina's lead, including the UK.

So if the UK government had just sat back in 1982 would any gods have come running to liberate the the islanders? If not, would that be because he/she/it sided with Argentina?

Call me overly practical, but I kind of prefer directly elected government to sort things out, from defence and emergency services to simple road building. I've never seen anything comparable carried out by any gods, but hey perhaps I'm just expecting too much in this life.
edit on 21-3-2013 by grainofsand because: Typo

Yet when the UK walked with God she was a great country and God blessed her. Now that she is atheistic going on Islamic, the curse has set in and she's going down the crapper. It's happening the world over. The christian faith is being rejected in the West, so God is rejecting the West. It happened with Israel and it happened with Christian Rome, we are no different.

I must commend your faith however. Atheism is a very courageous religion. To believe that nothing created everything, and that the incredible intricate complexity of life is just an accident, takes astounding faith.

As for the Falklands, I too believe in self determination. Unfortunately most everyone else does not believe in that. They believe in imposing their will on others in the form of taxes, stealing and the promotion of the worship of the state.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

There are plenty of socio-economic and political reasons for Britains decline on the world stage without introducing fairy stories into the mix.

For example, your post reads as if it was gods will that Britain subjugate a third of the worlds population in the Biggest empire ever created, but when Britain actually took the noble sacrifice of bankrupting itself to stand alone against Nazi Germany so that Hitler might one day be defeated and Europe freed, rather than take the easy option of making peace after France fell and letting the two empires stand side by side as Hitler wanted, god pulled the plug and 70 years of decline began.

I would not want any part of a god that would do either of those.

edit on 24-3-2013 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
Yet when the UK walked with God she was a great country and God blessed her. Now that she is atheistic going on Islamic, the curse has set in and she's going down the crapper. It's happening the world over. The christian faith is being rejected in the West, so God is rejecting the West. It happened with Israel and it happened with Christian Rome, we are no different.

Do you genuinely believe that or is it just a silly bit of trolling to pass time on the weekend?
Interesting beliefs but, that is all they are, faith based assertions. Until such time as there is any evidence to support claims of gods I shall continue to lack belief in any of them.

I must commend your faith however. Atheism is a very courageous religion. To believe that nothing created everything, and that the incredible intricate complexity of life is just an accident, takes astounding faith.

You like many religious types fail to grasp what faith is. I have seen nothing to convince me of the existence of any gods, I therefore do not believe in them. If I was to state "there are no gods" then that would take faith as there is no way I could prove such a statement. I do not make such assertions though, I just do not believe as you do. Oh, and in case the concept is difficult for you I'll try to simplify it: Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. A lack of belief in gods is not a religion, no matter how much you would like it to be.
Frankly I'm confused why so many religious folk are so desperate to present a lack of faith as a religion, it just seems such a stupid idea to me and anyone who thinks rationally.

As for the Falklands, I too believe in self determination. Unfortunately most everyone else does not believe in that. They believe in imposing their will on others in the form of taxes, stealing and the promotion of the worship of the state.

It is not about 'worship' of the state, just a realisation that an organised society formed though a democratic voting process is what fixes roads, provides healthcare, collects the trash and all the other things required to have a decent life. Your gods do none of that, and to be blunt, I think your argument is ridiculous.
If the UK had not acted as it had in 1982 the Falkland Islanders would still be under the rule of an invading Argentinian force. Without organised government there would not have been the recent referendum, or are you saying some god/s would have sorted both issues out for us? It really would take some blind faith to believe in that idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join