It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falklands referendum: Voters choose to remain UK territory

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

If ignorance is bliss

Then you sir must be extremely happy.

Try reading a book.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annunak1
It's rubbish that the UK never gave those Islands back. Let's say you and i are in war. Near your country is an island. I win the war and put my people on that island and say it's mine because my people are living on it. How would you feel. Those brits on the islands need to go back where they came from

Sorry, but what war? The only "Argentinean" colony was a small penal colony that was set up by the River Plate colony. It was a disaster, there was a major mutiny, the place was then occupied by the Americans (go look it up, it's fascinating) and then finally the British came back in 1833 (there had been an earlier British colony). The few people remaining in the penal colony either stayed with delight or left for the mainland.
And while we're at it, are you going to call on the Argentineans to leave Patagonia, which they invaded and implanted their own population?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alfie1
reply to post by glen200376

Apart from the islanders obvious right to self-determination it also won't be forgotten in a hurry that it cost 255 British lives to reverse Argentine aggression in 1982.

255 reasons why there is nothing to talk to Argentina about.

For once this is an example of government actually doing what the people want.I would even go as far as saying I would agree with another war with Argentina if they were to invade again.
For once I actually agree with Cameron and co.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Argentina needs to give up on the Malvinas islands....I mean the FALKLAND ISLANDS...

Enough of this crap. I mean really. If there was no oil they wouldnt really care...BUT since there is they insist on every possible argument under the sun.

Most people there are of British descent, and so they dont want to be Argentinian. End of story.

edit on 12-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

Correct.The argentinian president uses it to rile up the people to keep their minds off of their stinking economy.
As for the oil,she is that stupid when offered a 50% share that she knocked it back because she wants the lot.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

As for the oil,she is that stupid when offered a 50% share that she knocked it back because she wants the lot.

Yep, I thought that was a major fail on her part, it was a decent offer considering the actual history and now democratically agreed position of the islanders.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Having lived in University Accomodation with a lad born and raised in Stanley I can confirm that he was every bit as British as myself or any of my countrymen - and that he felt that too.

Stanley is an absolutely tiny town of about 2,500 residents yet my friend constantly remarked about how the 'little things' were the same in Britain itself as on the Falklands - telephone boxes, discussions about the weather, drinking tea and such like. He told me that he was somewhat nervous about coming to Britain as he'd never been so far from home, but he found those similarities very reassuring. Britain didn't feel like a foreign country to him, even though he'd never set foot on it before.

I realise that's entirely anecdotal, but my point is that people should be free to choose their own path. It seems that the Falklanders themselves identify with Britain, Argentina's claims to the islands is spurious at best, so I really fail to see what all the fuss is about.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

It's rubbish that the UK never gave those Islands back. Let's say you and i are in war. Near your country is an island. I win the war and put my people on that island and say it's mine because my people are living on it. How would you feel. Those brits on the islands need to go back where they came from

How is voting Rubbish? The Argentinians are using the UN to air their spurious claim however the people who live there have nailed there colours firmly to the mast, you can't argue with the UN over self determination. And how can the UK give back something to Argentina that never belonged to them in the first place, please read up about the long complicated history of the islands before you comment.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

It all started with colonization. They don't belong there. Why don't they find a volcano to live on.
Same as with the rich white folks in South Africa living in their nice mansions and luxury while the native people live in poverty. Just because a country has been colonized in the past don't give people the right to live there and act like they are better.

By this logic, all non Native Americans, i.e. in this instance Spanish descended Argentinians should go back to Spain. No-one lived on the Falklands, there were no Indigenous people before it was discovered by Europeans.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
And while we're at it, are you going to call on the Argentineans to leave Patagonia, which they invaded and implanted their own population?

And Welsh. To mine the coal.

Can't take this topic seriously anymore, to be honest. Either nations believe in the right to self determination or they don't. The position of the Argentine Government is ridiculous in the extreme but then i don't want to be drawn into another Falklands thread, they have done to death on ATS

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
99% said they want to stay? Weird.

On a vote about whether grass is green I wouldn't expect 99% agreement

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, just that the people living in the Falklands seem unusually keen to remain with Britain.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandStrategy

Maybe because they are British?
Three people voted no.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

are you joking. look it up thats not even how it happened. the Falklands were uninhabited before the British of which i am a proud member went there. we planted the flag, the only reason the Argentina what it back is because of the oil that has been found. secondly, if that's the case America should return the land to the Native Americans because they were their first and they were cheated out of the land. so your argument makes no sense. I would like to know where you're from though and ask do the people on the island get a say on who governs them?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy
99% said they want to stay? Weird.

On a vote about whether grass is green I wouldn't expect 99% agreement

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, just that the people living in the Falklands seem unusually keen to remain with Britain.

I could be wrong on this, but it's just possible that being invaded by a bloodthirsty military dictatorship that used to murder its own citizens and which had the economic skills of a small stunned squirrel might have influenced their thinking.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

You do know the UK claimed those islands long before Argentina existed right? And with your logic then the Argentinains who took Argentina from the natives should have to go back to Spain?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by GrandStrategy

Maybe because they are British?
Three people voted no.

It's still an unusually high percentage, to have 99.8% of people agree on any political issue. Hints at a society that's wholly indoctrinated if you ask me.

Still, it's nice to see the British government FINALLY care about self-determination and democracy. Shame they didn't give the inhabitants of Diego Garcia the same courtesy... democracy and self-determination for all (who will overwhelmingly vote in our favour
)

edit on 12-3-2013 by GrandStrategy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy
It's still an unusually high percentage, to have 99.8% of people agree on any political issue. Hints at a society that's wholly indoctrinated if you ask me.

Not really. If you surveyed 100 turkeys and asked whether they supported Christmas, I think the result my be similar.

Regards

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

It's rubbish that the UK never gave those Islands back.

Gave them back to who? The British were there first.

Those brits on the islands need to go back where they came from

Only if the Argentineans go back to Spain.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chipkin9
Why would only 1517 people out of a population of 2900 vote or get to vote

Probably because children and toddlers are not allowed to participate. That's normally how these sort of things work.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

In 1774 the English left the islands, for financial reasons, to the Spanish who were in charge of the archipelago until 1811 which was the beginning of the revolution of South America countries.

In 1774, the British left a plaque on the islands saying that they still had sovereignty over the islands and that they would be back and that their leaving the islands was only temporary. They did not give the islands to the Spanish.
edit on 12-3-2013 by Sicksicksick because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join