It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to unveil new Mars discoveries by Curiosity

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Looks like Arken might be on to something.

Shouldn't knock him.

He's a celebrity on Yahoo now.

Buhaha.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It means we will have the ability to make sheet rock on mars because of the gypsum and have the ability to build cheap affordable houses on mars.
Well,guess we need lumber too.
And a way there,but still!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Nothing unusual. It will be the usual PR statements to justify the money spent on the project to keep the tax payers happy. Everytime they announce, they end up redigressing topics that are/were already being discussed on ATS and by the scientific community in general.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

But...but... what about the rocks that look like living creatures?

the science evolved by closed minded people....

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Here's a short video on what they are going to be discussing...

My guess is that the powder is composed of material almost entirely unlike reptile vertebrae.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
They might as well have sent the rover to the New Mexican desert.

We already sent a comprehensive soil sampling setup to look for life on the Viking missions in the 1970's.

We already know what the rocks and atmosphere on Mars is composed of. We already know there once was water, and currently is water ice at the poles.

Why are we wasting money on these stupid rovers that basically tell us what we already knew 20 years ago?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
So what was the announcement?I couldn't get the live feed to work right

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Might be to check if indeed it is viable to mine valuable metals/minerals that is hard to find on earth. Who knows some humans may already have the knowledge on creating more technological marvels but lacks the resources on this planet to create it in epic proportion.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Still waiting on last December earth shattering news.

Unless its already gone and not earth shattering.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
NASA:

We have found some minerals that may or may not have been formed by water that may or may not conclude that Mars may or may not have had a wetter, warmer climate.

Me:

I may or may not be impressed with this press release...I am betting the latter...
edit on 12-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think the gist of today's press-conference is that Curiosity's current environment was pH-neutral and had ample supply of fresh water. To add to the previous findings (the "shattering news" mentioned by the above poster), they found even more organics (Chlormethane and Dichloromethane).

Update - full story here: www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Clues to this habitable environment come from data returned by the rover's Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) and Chemistry and Mineralogy (CheMin) instruments. The data indicate the Yellowknife Bay area the rover is exploring was the end of an ancient river system or an intermittently wet lake bed that could have provided chemical energy and other favorable conditions for microbes. The rock is made up of a fine-grained mudstone containing clay minerals, sulfate minerals and other chemicals. This ancient wet environment, unlike some others on Mars, was not harshly oxidizing, acidic or extremely salty.

edit on 12-3-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Just feeding the sheeps with some dust
ensuring the steady flow of tax money to fuel the real mission
R.I.P Phil Schneider

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

NASA:

We have found some minerals that may or may not have been formed by water that may or may not conclude that Mars may or may not have had a wetter, warmer climate.

Me:

I may or may not be impressed with this press release...I am betting the latter...

NASA:

"Made ya look"

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
PASADENA, Calif. -- An analysis of a rock sample collected by NASA's Curiosity rover shows ancient Mars could have supported living microbes. Scientists identified sulfur, nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and carbon -- some of the key chemical ingredients for life -- in the powder Curiosity drilled out of a sedimentary rock near an ancient stream bed in Gale Crater on the Red Planet last month. "A fundamental question for this mission is whether Mars could have supported a habitable environment," said Michael Meyer, lead scientist for NASA's Mars Exploration Program at the agency's headquarters in Washington. "From what we know now, the answer is yes."

Looks pretty cut and dried to me
Nice Yay Curiosity!

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
What a supprise, clay proofs there may have been water..
The pumps and pipes could have been a clue too.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pinobot

But not just any water! pH-neutral water that wasn't too salty.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Originally posted by pinobot

But not just any water! pH-neutral water that wasn't too salty.

I think that that is the big news.
If PH levels were high, then it wouldn't look good for past life. We're still in the game, very exciting

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Nothing new. Didn't expect much, though

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
reply to post by abeverage

NASA:

Me:

NASA:

"Made ya look"

OH GEEZ! I always fall for it too...*shakes fist*

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join