It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choose your location wisely or be very disappointed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by olaru12

Originally posted by Hopechest
We are taking our sailboat very far off of land.

We'll come back when all the roving gangs have departed and society restarts up again.

I didn't know that Arizona had a coast line. Or is your sailboat on a trailer or moored down in Baja.

I love the Gulf of California.

Its moored out in San Diego area. Hopefully I can get out there before all the bad stuff goes down. Its one of the reasons I read this site so much.

If you want to get to the boat before the shtf; better get rolling because if you wait for the obvious signs....you waited to long because the roads will clog up in hours.

My strategy is to ride my dirt bike to a distant cave with a natural spring way way out in the boonies and wait out the "cleansing" as I like to call it. There will be early signs before the "cleansing" begins. Plenty of time for me to bug out.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
If there is one thing I have learned it is that community is key. Make friends with your neighbors, treat them well, learn to endure their differences, and keep in touch. When things turn bad they will think about your well being and show up to help. It's good for survival, it's good for morale and it's good for when you are getting older. Make friends with everybody, young and old. The old will have the sense to worry about you and they will make the young with the strength come along to help. When your neighbors are a community you share everybody's skill sets and resources.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel

Originally posted by MaMaa
I would probably want to be somewhere with a milder climate than my current Colorado foothills. We have chickens and a rabbit and in even a mild winter we would lose them without some sort of heat source, well at least the chickens. The rabbit is inside. I would want to be somewhere in a wooded area, or somewhere that has a lot of small back roads. I realized that here in my town there are only just a couple of ways in and out of the town. Not an easy place to protect or get out of without going down large main roads.

Interesting about the chicken losses. Do you not have an enclosure for them? I haven't lost a chicken ever due to the cold and we have many nights in -30's F. I sure agree about being in a wooded area. That's the other thing about the desert, I feel so exposed.

We have a coop with a heat lamp, but we don't have all that many chickens, only 8, so they don't seem to produce much heat in there. They might make it ok I suppose. Of course we also have coyotes, foxes, and are near a highly traveled path. It wouldn't take long for people or predators to realize we had chickens.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Every location has it's ups and downs....

We can't always choose it either...sometimes you have to make do with where you are, and what you have.

A submarine, huh? I think I'd rather go out, than have to live permanently on one.

My location has nice weather (never snows, lots of sunshine and rain) and is easy to grow many things, but it's also around a lot of military bases within some distance. We're out in the country, but near a small town. Also, being in FL, we're not exactly way above sea level...but, those are things I just can't do much about.

So, a rising sea level or nuclear strike does me in pretty well, but most other scenarios, the location is workable.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Dear FissionSurplus,

However, where I'm at is around 4,000 ft in elevation, and it can get dreadfully cold here, believe it or not. The record temp for this area of Texas / New Mexico is 38 degrees F below zero! Every place has its pros and cons. I prefer the isolation of desert areas, personally.

I have lived in the high desert also and it can get very cold. I would probably seek out the low desert.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

You got that right! No matter WHERE you are, this is of utmost importance. It's not just the physical capabilities of support others can provide but it's a fact there is safety in numbers. Knowing there are others around for assistance helps in maintaining a positive attitude, when things otherwise might seem dismal should one be dealing with them alone.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
If there is one thing I have learned it is that community is key. Make friends with your neighbors, treat them well, learn to endure their differences, and keep in touch. When things turn bad they will think about your well being and show up to help. It's good for survival, it's good for morale and it's good for when you are getting older. Make friends with everybody, young and old. The old will have the sense to worry about you and they will make the young with the strength come along to help. When your neighbors are a community you share everybody's skill sets and resources.

That sounds very good! And it's always a good thing to make friends with your neighbors but....

When society breaks down; and it will when the infrastructure collapses; group dynamics change so drastically that a stable community is next to impossible to maintain. Malthusian concepts will kick in and tear the collective apart. Even in the best of times, communes are very hard to keep together. Egos, don't ya know!!

I wouldn't even trust my own family in a shtf event. Stay alone, be unobtrusive and be very patient and you might stand a 50/50 chance at best and oh yeah.... Kids will get you killed.

Perhaps we should work for a world where there is honor and justice rather than the social/cultural travesty that is now the official operating system in the US.

Have a nice day!

edit on 13-3-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Geographically living in one of the safest regions in the world

No hurricanes/tornados, no earthquakes, no tsunami-danger, no poisonous snakes/bugs.

So far happy with my choice

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin
Geographically living in one of the safest regions in the world

No hurricanes/tornados, no earthquakes, no tsunami-danger, no poisonous snakes/bugs.

So far happy with my choice

Sadly the most dangerous entities on this planet are............people.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

snow blower goes out shovel its a pain but it works trouble with door latches freezing keep a can of deicer in coat pocket for those emergencies i used to live in rural wisconsin those things worked for us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join